Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 19,537 times

Advertisements

I'm Just curious. I wanna know your thoughts. I got a pup today, the seller at first stated it was a mix Lab and so I asked her what it was mixed with but she then replied that she was told it was 100% Lab. As soon as we got home I realized that his face looks more pit-like. She did not give me any kind of paper. So any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IS MY NEW PUP A LAB/PIT Mix? I want to know.-zicooo.jpg   IS MY NEW PUP A LAB/PIT Mix? I want to know.-ziicooo.jpg  

Last edited by dooo2ne1; 12-04-2014 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Looks like a lab to me, no pit, but young puppies are hard to identify.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Sellers of purebred labs should have the dog's pedigree, certified by a reputable purebred dog registry, such as the AKC (American Kennel Club), UKC (United Kennel Club), CKC (Canadian Kennel Club), etc, or don't expect the dog to be a purebred. While pedigrees are only as good as the integrity of the owners of the dogs whose names appear, chances are that a seller who doesn't even bother to provide a pedigree on a puppy he/she sells is not very particular about the pup's heredity.

I hope that the seller at least gave you the pup's veterinary record.

If you are actually buying a purebred puppy, do not make the purchase if there are no registration papers provided, and you've at least seen the pup's pedigree (they should give it to you). Getting a purebred pup from a rescue or shelter is a different matter, it is unlikely that they would have the pup's pedigree or registration application.

It's hard to tell from the photos whether your new puppy is a poorly bred Lab or a Lab/Pit mix; his head is not what I would characterize as a typey Lab head. It might change as he grows.

Whether or not the pup is a purebred Lab, a Lab-mix, or a definite Lab/Pit mix, he is a puppy needing care and love. If you are going to keep him, get him to a vet for a check-up ASAP (this should be done whether the pup you get is the offspring of a Westminster Best in Show winner or a street-bred pup fostered by a shelter or pound, or any dog or pup from a situation in between those extremes).

If you don't think you would want to keep a puppy who might be a Pit Bull-type mix, then return him to his breeder as soon as possible; while he's still young and cute enough to appeal to more potential owners.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,659 times
Jaws/cheeks are wrong for an APB/Staff Terrior. Looks like a whole lot of lab with some sight hound mixed in it, based on the way the bottom jaw line is shaped, and the nose, but the photo angle is not good for seeing the lower jaw, and puppies change a lot over two months, so it's hard to be certain.

If she attacks somebody later in life, she's probably mostly Pit Bull!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,404 times
Pup looks 100% adorable. Won't you love it and give it a good life no matter what breed or mix it is?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Pup looks 100% adorable. Won't you love it and give it a good life no matter what breed or mix it is?
^^ Hope so!!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:43 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
What a cutie!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
I don't really see any pit in him. He's adorable, raise him right and he'll be a great dog, once he stops chewing everything in sight.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 19,537 times
Of course I love him and plan on giving him a good life. Like I said I'm just curious as to what he could be a mix of.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Come back and post some pictures when he gets older, and we'll give it another shot. He's a cutie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs