Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

I have a 14-year-old Shepherd/something smaller mix. I just took her for her annual physical. She's very healthy... the vet says she has the heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys of what she'd expect to see in a 2-year-old dog. she's also at an ideal weight for her size (40 pounds). The only exceptions to her health is she now has hypothyroid (and is on medication for that) and she has mild arthritis.

My question is about the arthritis. Like I said, it's very mild. I looked at the list of symptoms in arthritis in dogs. The last one (bolded) is the only symptom she shows.

• Walk stiffly
  • Limp or favor certain limbs
  • Show stiffness or discomfort when getting up from a lying-down position
  • Display lameness in certain limbs
  • Appear to have stiff, swollen or sore joints
  • Seem to experience pain when touched in certain areas
  • Seem to find certain positions uncomfortable or painful
  • Suffer loss of flexibility in their joints
  • Be hesitant to jump, run or climb stairs
She's never been much of a runner or jumper--except when she was a very young dog and was hyper. She mellowed out at around 3-years-old. It's just stairs that she has issues with. I have to walk behind her and catch her if she slips or just can't make it all the way up without help.

She still takes walks and has a little pep in her step--but she tires out/slows down after about 20-25 minutes. She seems a little tired afterwards, but it only lasts for a short time--maybe an hour. Overall, I'd say the arthritis has a minor effect on my dog's quality of life.

The vet asked me if I wanted to put her on pain medication for the arthritis and I am not sure. I have to bring her back to the vet in 4-6 weeks to have her bloodwork done again (to see how the new thyroid medication is working) so I figure I will decide by then.

In the meantime, I wanted to get some feedback (maybe from people who have put their dogs on long-term pain medication). I don't want my dog to be in pain, but I also know that all painkillers have side effects--and over time can cause organ damage. I am trying to decide, if it's just minor pain, if it's worth the risk to her health.

It would be so much easier if I could just ask her, "hey, how much does it really hurt and do you want something for it?"

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
I would put her on a supplement like Phyto-Flex, made by Natures Pharmacy. This is a wonderful joint supplement. I have a boy with a badly screwed up foot and this supplement has helped him tremendously. A friend who fosters senior goldens recommended it to me. If you don't see improvement with a supplement, then I would consider dosing him with a pain killer although keeping some Deramaxx on hand for really bad flare ups is not a bad idea.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I would put her on a supplement like Phyto-Flex, made by Natures Pharmacy. This is a wonderful joint supplement. I have a boy with a badly screwed up foot and this supplement has helped him tremendously. A friend who fosters senior goldens recommended it to me. If you don't see improvement with a supplement, then I would consider dosing him with a pain killer although keeping some Deramaxx on hand for really bad flare ups is not a bad idea.
Thanks for the tip and specific recommendation! There is so much stuff out there, it's hard to figure out where to start. I will look into it.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I agree, I would try the supplement first and if that doesn't work go with a something to treat the pain. IMO there's no point in letting her be in pain especially at her age.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
If you had this exact same condition? What would you do for yourself? Do the same for your dog.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
If you had this exact same condition? What would you do for yourself? Do the same for your dog.
It's a good way to put it... the problem is, I don't know her exact condition. If it was clear that she's in pain all the time... then it would be a no brainer. What makes it a hard choice is not knowing if she's in pain to a point where it's worth the risk. Or if she's even in pain at all (maybe she's just stiff going up and down steps because of the angle or has weakness and is just slower). She can't talk, so I have to guess. She doesn't show any other signs of arthritis--she still bounds and trots at a good pace. sometimes she even runs short distances. She isn't stiff or slow at other times. She just has issues with stairs (unfortunately, I live in a townhouse though... so lot of stairs).

Essentially any pain killer is a trade off because it effects the internal organs over time--kidneys, liver and heart (which is why I brought up, right now, she's healthy in that regard). If the pain is bad enough, then it's worth the risk.

With myself, I have very mild knee pain in my right knee from an old injury from two years ago--usually I feel it after a good workout. I don't take a thing for it... it's not worth the long term risks of using painkillers for just a little pain that doesn't bother me all the time. That's the same decision I am trying to make now for my dog. I know she hurts going up steps, but does she hurt all the time... or just during that one activity? I just don't know.

I got the supplement and I will start with that and see how it goes.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Sophie is 12 an has some mild arthritis, not so much that she won't jump or run but she's a little stiff in the mornings. Our Vet suggested a baby aspirin daily, fish oil supplements (I get the Costco brand) and some glucosamine pills too. She does well on everything and isn't stiff unless she plays too hard.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
To the OP.
Laser therapy is fast and the results will amaze you.
I know from experience with my Shepherd.

Bob.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
From what I have learned, the inflammation is what will and is causing the most damage to the joints. Even if the dog is not in much pain now, if the joints are inflamed, it will only become worse.

So, I would do some supplement to lubricate the joints and reduce swelling. Or the laser therapy. But don't wait till it gets worse.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Have you ever heard of MSM (MethylSulfonylMethane) ???

"MSM is recommended by veterinarians for animals with ligament, tendon, muscle, and joint conditions.
We use NaturVet MSM for natural effective relief of inflammation and pain issues.
MSM has properties similar to aspirin, without the possible aspirin/ibuprofin and similar aspirin side effects. MSM is excellent for joint or muscle pain relief. . . ."

. . . Pure MSM Powder
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/naturvet_msm.html

"Sulfur is critical for connective tissue health, so . . . an important component in treating arthritis and other forms of joint inflammation.

In patients with arthritis,
the concentration of sulfur in arthritic cartilage is only about one-third the level of normaltissue.

MSM can help treat arthritis because of its anti-inflammatory benefits
and by maintaining flexibility and elasticity (etc) . . .

It also helps prevent cartilage degeneration. . ."

Pure MSM
- How can it improve my health

http://www.puremsm.com/msmcanhelp.htm

Organic Coconut oil is another safe anti-inflamatory, and does not stress the pancreas like other fats,
because it bypasses the pancreas during digestion. So, it is actually the only fat good for pancreatitis.
Also, it regulates and balances insulin levels, and, the MCTs in coconut oil balance the thyroid.
And, that is just a glimpse of its benefits! (Our family & dog get it regularly.)

The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil for Dogs
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...f-coconut-oil/

Coconut Oil for Pets: Numerous Benefits for Dogs & Cats
http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/vi...onutoilforpets

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 11-13-2014 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs