Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Don't these folks ever feed the dogs?

23 Photos That Prove That If You Own a Dane, You’ll Never Eat Alone Again | Canine Distractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
I love Danes and very much want one. But we have a not so large house and am always thinking about the extra face in my food plate and that tail that cleans clear tables after lunch...although one could consider it helping with household chores.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
I had a Dane and she was wonderful. Adopted her from the local humane society and was glad to have done that. She died young and still miss her.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Aww cute! I've always thought it would be fun to have a giant dog, but feeding them would probably put us in debt !

Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,790,933 times
I love Great Danes but they have such short lives I wouldn't want one. Six to eight years isn't long enough.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I love Great Danes but they have such short lives I wouldn't want one. Six to eight years isn't long enough.
Generally the bigger the dog the shorter the lifespan. Large Dogs Age Faster, Die Younger | Inside Science

Those of you with exceptions to this generalization are certainly blessed.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
I'm not even a dog person, but I want a great dane someday when I have a big house and yard. Every one I've ever met has been so sweet and laid back.

Great pictures!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That is a myth. I have owned Great Danes 23 years now. All of mine have lived much longer, 10-11 years. I am in several Great Dane Facebook groups. Some Danes have died young, but most hit the decade mark, and some are still going strong at 12 and 13 years old. Besides, we never know how long any of us will live, not your dog, not your cat, not even your spouse or child. Does it mean it isn't worth the emotional risk to marry, have children, or a pet? Did you decide not to have a son or daughter because you believe "What if my child dies in an accident? Or has a disease that shortens his lifespan? Then it wasn't worth it to have him/her." That reasoning is totally illogical.

Danes are the most wonderful dogs. They are an extremely social breed, and are velcro dogs who want to be around their owners all the time. Their dependence on their humans can be a double edged sword. They are not a good dog for people looking for an aloof breed or people who aren't diehard dog lovers or don't want to spend a LOT of time with their dogs. You don't need a lot of space to keep Danes. They are quite happy in apartments. They just need a good walk, soft couch, good food and vet care, and lots of love. In other words, they're a lot like their people.

They are generally not unhealthy dogs either, and contrary to popular belief, are not prone to hip dysplasia, as the Molosser breeds like Mastiffs and St. Bernards are. I now have a five year old harlequin female, Infinity, and a three year old deaf fawnequin female, Nilla Wafer. They are the best. I wouldn't have another breed. This is a picture of them joining me in the bathroom. Apparently they feel their Mommy even needs company there
Attached Thumbnails
When you own a Dane-potty-break-2.jpg  

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,184,188 times
^super cute picture, Scooby! I love the sad, pleading eyes!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:12 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,415 times
Thank you for shining some light on Danes, Scooby. I have always thought they are wonderful dogs but didn't want to get one because of the rumored short life span. Especially after losing our border collie last year at the age of 6. I couldn't go through that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs