Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

If our judicial system would take animal abuse more seriously and properly punish and fine those who are found guilty our whole society will benefit. This is a step in the right direction.

https://www.facebook.com/nathanwinog...type=1&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Good!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
I would like to know if the police came to the particular residence unannounced, and/or whether it was in the city where leash laws applied etc. I say this because, frankly, I'm not inclined to much feel sorry for dog owners whose dogs are shot, if the situation was/is that they knew the police or such were coming yet didn't put their dogs away to where any doubt would've been removed.

In other words--take me. I own 2 dogs. I live in the boonies where leash laws don't exist. Even so, if someone were to go walking down the driveway in front of our house, they wouldn't have to contend with our 2 dogs running up to them. IT DOESN'T MATTER that they're friendly, which they are, that path in front of our house is fair game for the 2-odd other families who live close-by (we all rent from the same person) and they, to me, have the right to go walking on that road without our 2 dogs running up to them and bothering them. They should NOT have judge that our dogs are friendly and ignore them, our dogs should simply leave them alone--period, and I see to it that they do. I even scold the dogs simply for barking at them, even one single time, even that is not allowed. If I wanted "protection" I'd go to Home Depot and have a system installed.

Also, I have had occasion to call the satellite Internet repair guy to our place to fix the dish. When I do so, they--you guessed it--ask that we make sure that any "at large" animals have been contained. I always have done so, without complaint, period. And seriously, those 2 dogs are VERY friendly and not the least bit menacing in their behavior, but even so, I STILL keep them contained out of respect for the persons who come to my property to perform a service for me. I don't go on a tirade about how they ought to know they'd encounter dogs doing work at a residence and how if they can't handle a dog maybe they shouldn't work at such a job.

That, to me, is really what needs to be communicated here. Other people don't want to deal with your dogs. Period. When I go cycling, I don't want your dog coming into the road harassing me. If I am in the city and I'm walking on the public sidewalks, I don't want your dog running up to the very edge of the fence acting all aggressive and making that awful noise, and I sure don't want them escaping their confined space and harassing me on the road itself. If I lived in the city and had a dog, I've had it trained to do one thing--behave and keep its ever-loving mouth SHUT at ALL times, PERIOD.

If you are having a yard sale and the entire time I'm there your dog is yapping its head off and you don't have enough consideration for me to tell it to shut up, I'm leaving, I'm not doing business with you. I don't care that it's your property. You're opening up your property to do business, do you think people want to hear that awful noise every minute they're there? I know I don't.

It sounds like I hate dogs, when in fact that's not the case. I've come across many a dog which was quiet and gentle, and nothing but friendly. When that was the case, I was very much at ease and very complimentary to the dog and to its owners. A dog like that is a real pleasure and a joy to be around.

The problem is, the police too often deal with people who don't have a sense of how to keep their dogs quiet and civilized-acting, and it's so rampant that I don't blame them for striking back. I really don't. There may be cases of where the cop was being a jerk, and such may have well been the case here, but many times I think it's simply a case of dog owners who have no sense of responsibility towards others with respect to their dogs reaping what they sow. If more dog owners would realize that other people don't want to have to deal with your dog and would train them have to behave and stay in their place, we'd have a lot less of this.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:32 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
If you read the court report
http://www.mdcourts.gov/opinions/cosa/2014/1499s12.pdf it says the police showed up with a warrant to arrest their son. I've never heard of calling ahead in such a case.
The father was cooperating but was in the process of putting the family dogs in their kennel as they were making too much noise. Brandi took a detour and went around the house towards the officer.

At that point the officer claims the dog was vicious. Apparently (not mentioned in the report) the police camera was running and showed no sign of aggression on the part of the dog. Witnesses agree.

Also mentioned in the court report, this isn't the 1st time this officer has had a problem with dogs. The other time he used a taser.

They of course also get into wether the officers had a right to enter the house after the owners left for the vet. But that's for a different forum.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I would like to know if the police came to the particular residence unannounced, and/or whether it was in the city where leash laws applied etc. I say this because, frankly, I'm not inclined to much feel sorry for dog owners whose dogs are shot, if the situation was/is that they knew the police or such were coming yet didn't put their dogs away to where any doubt would've been removed.

In other words--take me. I own 2 dogs. I live in the boonies where leash laws don't exist. Even so, if someone were to go walking down the driveway in front of our house, they wouldn't have to contend with our 2 dogs running up to them. IT DOESN'T MATTER that they're friendly, which they are, that path in front of our house is fair game for the 2-odd other families who live close-by (we all rent from the same person) and they, to me, have the right to go walking on that road without our 2 dogs running up to them and bothering them. They should NOT have judge that our dogs are friendly and ignore them, our dogs should simply leave them alone--period, and I see to it that they do. I even scold the dogs simply for barking at them, even one single time, even that is not allowed. If I wanted "protection" I'd go to Home Depot and have a system installed.

Also, I have had occasion to call the satellite Internet repair guy to our place to fix the dish. When I do so, they--you guessed it--ask that we make sure that any "at large" animals have been contained. I always have done so, without complaint, period. And seriously, those 2 dogs are VERY friendly and not the least bit menacing in their behavior, but even so, I STILL keep them contained out of respect for the persons who come to my property to perform a service for me. I don't go on a tirade about how they ought to know they'd encounter dogs doing work at a residence and how if they can't handle a dog maybe they shouldn't work at such a job.

That, to me, is really what needs to be communicated here. Other people don't want to deal with your dogs. Period. When I go cycling, I don't want your dog coming into the road harassing me. If I am in the city and I'm walking on the public sidewalks, I don't want your dog running up to the very edge of the fence acting all aggressive and making that awful noise, and I sure don't want them escaping their confined space and harassing me on the road itself. If I lived in the city and had a dog, I've had it trained to do one thing--behave and keep its ever-loving mouth SHUT at ALL times, PERIOD.

If you are having a yard sale and the entire time I'm there your dog is yapping its head off and you don't have enough consideration for me to tell it to shut up, I'm leaving, I'm not doing business with you. I don't care that it's your property. You're opening up your property to do business, do you think people want to hear that awful noise every minute they're there? I know I don't.

It sounds like I hate dogs, when in fact that's not the case. I've come across many a dog which was quiet and gentle, and nothing but friendly. When that was the case, I was very much at ease and very complimentary to the dog and to its owners. A dog like that is a real pleasure and a joy to be around.

The problem is, the police too often deal with people who don't have a sense of how to keep their dogs quiet and civilized-acting, and it's so rampant that I don't blame them for striking back. I really don't. There may be cases of where the cop was being a jerk, and such may have well been the case here, but many times I think it's simply a case of dog owners who have no sense of responsibility towards others with respect to their dogs reaping what they sow. If more dog owners would realize that other people don't want to have to deal with your dog and would train them have to behave and stay in their place, we'd have a lot less of this.

As long as a dog is securely contained by a fence as you walk by it, I don't think you have any legal grounds to protest its barking or "aggressive" behavior. If you live next door and you hear the dog is barking for an hour non-stop or for a lesser time late at night, that's a different matter.

And if you can't stand the dog barking while you're at a yard sale, you're free to leave. Unless the dog is harming someone, it's the owner's decision to allow the dog to be in a position where it will bark.

I allow my dog to greet maintenance workers/internet-cable providers, on-leash. He is friendly. If the person is even slightly bothered; then I pull back the leash or put my dog in a room behind closed doors. Otherwise, I keep my eye on my dog and tell him to stay, and if he gets in the person's way, he is removed from proximity.

Yes, it does sound like you hate dogs.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:26 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
As long as a dog is securely contained by a fence as you walk by it, I don't think you have any legal grounds to protest its barking or "aggressive" behavior. If you live next door and you hear the dog is barking for an hour non-stop or for a lesser time late at night, that's a different matter.
I probably don't have a LEGAL ground to walk on, but I think it's rude. Like I said, I live in the boonies, and there is very little "traffic" in front of my place, mainly the neighbor's children sometimes are there, what, maybe 3 times a year. Even so, if they are walking in front of the place and my dogs start going ballistic, I get on my dogs VERY FIRMLY to knock it off because it's none of their business and the noise and behavior are both rude. They may not know better--I don't care that they don't. I do know better, and as a human being I'm smarter. Smarter does not submit to dumber.

I figure--if you had children yelling ugly comments to people passing by, you'd correct them for their rudeness. Why would one not do the same to a dog? Again, it does not matter that the dog doesn't know better, you as the owner do.

Quote:
And if you can't stand the dog barking while you're at a yard sale, you're free to leave. Unless the dog is harming someone, it's the owner's decision to allow the dog to be in a position where it will bark.
I understand that. At the same time, I think it's rude. It's their right, but it's rude. I have been to yard sales where the owner very quickly quieted their dog, even confining them to another part of the property, due to the disruption of the barking, and they apologized for it. That is how it should be. People like that, I gladly do business with them, I want to reward them for being considerate.

Quote:
I allow my dog to greet maintenance workers/internet-cable providers, on-leash. He is friendly. If the person is even slightly bothered; then I pull back the leash or put my dog in a room behind closed doors. Otherwise, I keep my eye on my dog and tell him to stay, and if he gets in the person's way, he is removed from proximity.
That sounds fine. At the same time, if I were a cable TV installer, not only would I not perform work on a place if the dog was loose, I'd also refuse it if the dog barked the entire time, especially if the owner did nothing about it. Some people just don't seem to understand just how God-awful that sound is, especially when it goes on for a long time. It is easily as awful as fingernails on a chalkboard, and unlike, say, goats and sheep, dogs can be trained not to do it. When I've had cable TV people and the like here, not only did my dogs (yes, I have 2 of them) not lunge at them etc, they also kept quiet, I saw to it that they did.

Quote:
Yes, it does sound like you hate dogs.
No, but I do hate bratty dog behavior, just as many people who like children nonetheless don't want to hear a child yelling at the top of their lungs in a nice restaurant or waiting room while the parent does nothing about it.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:33 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
I have had cable TV installers and handymen in my apartment while my dog is loose; with my eye on him; and they haven't objected, they actually liked him. When I say "loose"; I mean my dog is sitting or lying quietly. If he starts to get interested in their tools or tries to be friendly while they are working; then back on leash or into another room he goes. There's one worker who comes occasionally; I know he's not a dog person, so I make sure my dog is on-leash or confined when that worker comes.

I don't find the sound of dogs barking to be so objectionable; as long as it does not go on too long, or be late at night, or 10-20 dogs instead of 1-3.

I've never encountered a dog owner who is particularly phobic about the sound of a barking dog. It is always advisable not to let a dog bark for a very long time if you have neighbors within earshot, but some dogs tend to bark more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs