Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,627 times

Advertisements

Does this look like Fire Ants, or some kind of allergic reaction?

She was lying in the sand at dog park yesterday, and this AM I noticed these "bites" on 3 legs, and on her belly where she wasn't covered by a shirt. She wears a shirt in the sun because she is hairless. Also, being hairless, I can see bites better than coated dogs, but there's also no barrier to the bugs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Ouch! Poor baby! When I had fire ant bites there is usually a white puss sack at the top and they itch like crazy and it hurt like heck when they bit. So it might be an allergic reaction, or sand fleas maybe, is she itchy?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Once in a while she licks it, but not that much.
She's drowsy - she was given a Benadryl.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
It looks like hives. I don't think she could have that many fire ant bites without some signs of distress while they were stinging her, or swelling afterwards.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
hmmm, when I got bit by Fireants, the next day the red spots turned into little pustules. Hurt too. Would think a dog may get the same reaction, but don't know.
I would definitely keep an eye on the dog for the night... listen for trouble breathing.
hope they go away with no problem

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM

She likes to sleep in her bed in "HER" room. I'll try to get her to sleep in our bed tonight.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Oh how I wish my dogs slept in their own bed in their own room. I think if they were fire ant bites she would be very itchy. If it seems to be bothering her or getting worse I would try to get her to the vet tomorrow before the weekend just in case.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Ditto for pustuales for fire ants. Sand fleas or no-see-ums. Fire ants give humans a terrible headache to boot. Not sure for dogs. Benedril is a good thing. And lots (lots) of water.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

This crazy dog rarely drinks water!
it's out all the time - I take her to the bowl, she sticks her nose in it, and then walks away.
Raw diet gives her pretty good hydration.

her bumps were a little worse today. went to Vet, who thinks it is a skin infection & put her on antibiotic

Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM

And today, day 5 of the outbreak, it looks pretty much the same :-(

Not worse at least.

She had a bunch of bites on her belly, but they're pretty much cleared up. But her limbs are still loaded with bumps. And they now have turned a lighter color - but anytime she got even a little scratch her skin would turn that color, as it is her Natural color, and what was scratched away was sun tanned.

Spoke to Vet again, and she said as long as it didn't get worse to continue with the antibiotic. But I don't like the fact that there's so little improvement on her limbs.
Also, the Vet said it was Pyoderma. I've researched that, and although the possible causation fits, the pictures of it don't. Plus they say that Pyoderma rarely occurs on the limbs, and mainly on the groin & trunk. She is pretty much confined to limbs right now, although it may have begun with the bites to her belly/groin area.

She doesn't seem bothered much - kind of mellow - likely due to the benadryl.

Anyone have experience with bumps that look like these? Think the Vet is right?

Ofcourse, if she were not Hairless, not sure we'd even have noticed this!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs