Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,348,551 times

Advertisements

First of all I want to say I don't mean this as a cop bashing thread. I for one am happy to support and respect police officers. This is just one of too many cases where a police officer shot a dog for doing what we have dogs for..alerting to somebody or something on his property....he was checking out another dog on his own property- behind an invisible fence.

2nd- the fact Neena is a pit bull has nothing to do with the story.
The dog is hurting and not doing well and you can read updates on gofundme site the owner started.

Pit bull shot by Lee County deputy - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

http://www.gofundme.com/helpnena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,915,722 times
You know, I am so sick of these stories--this happensall the time around here.

We're big supporters of law enforcement, too, but it sure seems like cops are shooting from the hip when it comes to dogs protecting their property. We had a particularly disturbing case in which a friendly Rottweiler was killed even as the owner was telling the police that he just wanted to play--they riddled him with bullets as he ran away (some were lodged in the garage).

Apparently, they're not trained in what to expect when dogs, territorial by nature, see them approach, and they don't even know when a dog is friendly. It's open season on dogs everywhere and I'm sick of it.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,248,754 times
So the cops brought in a canine unit to track a "suspect" for riding a bicycle at night without a light?

If there is not a HUGE amount of information left out of the story about the "suspect," the cops went way overboard in their pursuit.

I have heard about the crime of "driving while black" getting one arrested, but "barking with fur" will now get you killed!

Police have a difficult job, and they are given unusual power and legal protection to carry out that job, but because of that power and legal protection, they have a special obligation to use restraint and discretion when executing their duties. I believe most cops are decent folks, doing a good in a difficult job, but one idiot with a badge can really hurt the image and community support for a whole Police department!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 AM

3,781 posts, read 4,285,630 times
I would love to see some stats on this, but they are not kept by FBI since they are not required to be reported. However, I highly doubt it HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!

Dogs shot on private property for no reason is a problem, don't believe it is a big problem, don't believe it happens all the time, but still a problem. Dogs shot off leash on public property is a problem, but more so for the owner. All depends on the dog and it "manners."

And yes, this will turn into a police bashing thread; it already has. When a person has to state they are big supporters of law enforcement and also state it happens all the time (please supply factual statistics) since "all the time" can mean anything from every minute, to every day, to every month, etc. Too ambiguous to make such a statement. And if it was ALL THE TIME, don't you think that the poster, who posts these about once a week, would be posting these in greater numbers?

I never wore "blue" but I was in LE for many years. No I never shot a dog, but then not being in "blue" I never did patrol.

Honestly this is a decent forum to read from time-to-time, but I have to say I'm gone. Too many "LE haters," for me. And the person who continues to post these is now prefacing with a statement on how this should not be a bashing forum...really!

Good bye, and hopefully, you never need the police....

Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,915,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I would love to see some stats on this, but they are not kept by FBI since they are not required to be reported. However, I highly doubt it HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!

Dogs shot on private property for no reason is a problem, don't believe it is a big problem, don't believe it happens all the time, but still a problem. Dogs shot off leash on public property is a problem, but more so for the owner. All depends on the dog and it "manners."

And yes, this will turn into a police bashing thread; it already has. When a person has to state they are big supporters of law enforcement and also state it happens all the time (please supply factual statistics) since "all the time" can mean anything from every minute, to every day, to every month, etc. Too ambiguous to make such a statement. And if it was ALL THE TIME, don't you think that the poster, who posts these about once a week, would be posting these in greater numbers?

I never wore "blue" but I was in LE for many years. No I never shot a dog, but then not being in "blue" I never did patrol.

Honestly this is a decent forum to read from time-to-time, but I have to say I'm gone. Too many "LE haters," for me. And the person who continues to post these is now prefacing with a statement on how this should not be a bashing forum...really!

Goodbye

Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,348,551 times
There HAS to be more to this story as a helicopter was called in. Surely no municipality would go to that tremendous expense just because some guy was riding a bicycle without a light!

and 5f5stop I post stories about cops rescuing animals all the time-just as often as I find them.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
"All the time" is pretty subjective. I would say about once a month, and sometimes weekly for short periods of time, I am reading about cops shooting dogs arbitrarily and unneccessarily. That is frequent enough for me to use the phrase "all the time" because it is pretty consitent - at least over the last few years. If your threshold is daily, or multiple times in a day, then "infrequently" or "rarely" would be more appropriate as an adjective. In fairness, the frequency of dog shooting events may not have changed so much as our awareness of the issue because of social media and the internet giving us far more access to stories about these types of incedents.

Quote:
Agree with all of the above - but again we need to agree on what constitutes "all the time." It happens often enough that I would think through calling 911 in an emergency because of concern for my dogs - I am sure I would still make the call, but...

Quote:
I guess we read things differently. I don't see any "cop bashing" in the thread so far, and saying you support cops, but then describe concerns about a specific event/cop who abused authority doesn't seem unreasonable or "cop bashing" to me. Again, I guess we read things differently.

Quote:
I've never been in "blue" either, but wore "green" for most of my adult life. Rules of engagement, even in combat, must be observed to keep good guys safe, civilians protected, and bad guys dead. When rules of engagement are not followed, or deliberately misconstrued, there is generally negative fallout for the troops. Speaking for myself only, I am concerned that, in general terms, police policies seem to assume all dogs are a threat to the officer, and use of deadly force against a dog is rarely questioned, and when it is, it is a formality to clear the cop and the department to protect against lawsuits. I think those policies should be relooked and updated, for community support of the police as well as the safety of pets. FYI, I don't consider those last statements as "cop bashing," just an observation and my opinion.

Quote:
As stated above, I guess we read the same things quite differently.

Quote:
I hope I never need the police either. Best wishes.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:10 PM

37,359 posts, read 41,600,072 times
Maybe I am reading the article differently, but it says a "K9 unit" was attacked by the dog that was injured. It appears that a police dog was attacked, resulting in the other dog being shot. The "K9" is doing OK. Sloppy ambiguous journalism.

Edited to add: when the bicyclist ran, he created probable cause that there was something more than a trivial traffic ticket in play.

Also, I do not think an Invisible Fence is suitable containment for a bully breed.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-07-2015 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Maybe I am reading the article differently, but it says a "K9 unit" was attacked by the dog that was injured.. It appears that a police dog was attacked, resulting in the other dog being shot.
That is my assumption, too.

What we are left with is a guy is riding his bicycle at night without a light. The police give chase, and call in a K9 unit and a helicopter to apprehend the guy, and another guy's dog gets shot in its own yard during the search because it reacted to the K9 unit.

There is a whole lot of information missing in this story, because I don't buy local cops on a lark decided to involve a K9 unit and a helicopter to capture and ensure local bicyclists use lights at night. Just sayin...

Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM

923 posts, read 1,436,740 times
This One Police Department Shot 92 Dogs in Three Years. One of the Officers Has Killed 25 By Himself
Read more at This One Police Department Shot 92 Dogs in Three Years. One of the Officers Has Killed 25 By Himself | The Free Thought Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs