Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:13 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

My toy poodle has been doing this weird shivering/shaking for the past couple days. Partiularly when you speak to him, or he just sits there and looks at you he'll just shake. I thought perhaps he had to go out so I would let him out , or put a blanket on him but nothing seems to help. We are in the middle of moving cross country in a week and have gotten rid of all our furniture and what not so the house is bare and I'm wondering if perhaps he is stressed and anxious about whats going on. Is this normal behaviour? Anyone elses dog do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times
stress could be a cause... there is a lot going on in your big world. Little guys get very anxious.

shaking is also a sign of pain. could he have been injured when the furniture was moved out?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz741 View Post
from what i know... dogs that have these symptoms are the ones that are being abused.....i hope u don't hit ur dog in any manner, bcus they start showing these kind of symptoms !!!
of course I dont' hit my dog nor abuse him.. I had a previous dog that did this but only once and she was 16 so I figured it was just from being old

Also to the previous poster I thought perhaps there was an injury that he got while I was out of the house from jumping off the bed or something and I checked him all over and stretched his legs and felt his belly but nothing. I'm thinking perhaps it is just infact the stress of the move, he's never done this before and I'm starting to just be convinced that he's become anxious

Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times
See if your vet can recommend something to help relax him. There are meds available as well as aromatherapy products you can use (they are like Glade Plug-ins).

Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
I just moved cross-country and went through the exact same thing. My poor little dog sat and shook violently after the furniture was gone. Not only was he picking up on my stress, it was causing plenty of his own. Dogs like routine, and change is very uncomfortable for them. I think he was scared to death, not knowing what was going to happen or if he was going, too. I tried to console him, but he was very upset.

We've moved before, but this time, it took him a long time to adjust to the new house. In fact, just last week I brought a box in from the garage to unpack and he started shaking, just seeing it. Clearly, a moving box is an "uh-oh" to him.

I'm sure your little guy will be fine, once you settle into your new place. My vet didn't recommend sedatives; he told me to give my dog lots of love and attention and to not scold him for having accidents or being destructive (both of which happened for about six weeks in the new house). He's okay now-- no more trembling, even though he's still more needy and possessive than before the move. I guess moves are just hard on us all. Good luck to you and your little poodle!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
As much as you're looking forward to your move, ANY move creates stress in our lives, and I'd bet that your little guy is picking up on all of that. Dogs are incredibly in tune with us--we are their pack leaders, and their den is being rearranged, and disappearing and changing every day. How much has his routine been impacted by the upcoming move? Does he have a crate, or some area of the house that's his? Have you heard of or tried Rescue Remedy? I haven't used it, but have heard of good results from others...

Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Dogs are good at hiding pain, so a problem might not be evident in an examination such as you describe. While the dog's reaction could certainly be caused by stress, there might be something else going on that you need to know about before you move. Please see your vet asap and let him or her advise you. At the very least, calming medication would make the dog more comfortable. After all, living with constant stress makes us all--dogs and humans--more prone to other health problems, and with your upcoming move, you don't need that!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I would say stress too...I just moved across town 2 miles tops & Katie was all nervous & upset for about a week! Careful not to encourage this behavior ... this is not the time to cuddle but egnore him. Other wise he will think he does have a reason to be upset. Keep some of his fav toys nearby & when hes fairly calm just play with him as you normally would. When you catch him in a calm min you can give him a small bit of his fav food.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
katie1 thats a very good point, and one that I actually had wanted to make in my post but forgot to... back in my vet tech/reception days, we used to take in a high number of boarders, and we made sure to educate the owners over the phone at the time the reservation was made not to make a long drawn-out goodbye, I'll miss you soooo much snookums, kiss kiss, hug, hug. The dogs did so much better when their owners were matter of fact about the whole thing... it's amazing how much stress goes right through the leash, they really do take our lead!

One funny: we had a one-way mirror leading that viewed the hallway leading to the kennel area. We'd guide the owners to matter-of-factly say their goodbye, then to walk out the door to where the one-way was. (note: it's much better for your dog for you to walk away and let them see you leave than to have him taken away by the employee of the vet or kennel.) 9 times out of 10, the owners were AMAZED that within 10 seconds, their loyal little furkid was wagging tail and raring to get out to the kennel area, happy as a clam and acting like a kid getting dropped off at camp--sad till mom and dad drive away, then it's fun fun fun LOL!!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:20 AM

thanks everyone fro your replies, he's still doing it but not as much so we're trying to keep as routine with him as possible, yesterday we took him to the park and let him run around for an hour and taking him on car rides. He does it worse when we have to leave the house to do something, he'll sit on his blanket curled up and shiver so he must be having separation anxiety. We pulled out his crate and put his toys, bed and food dish in there and he practically runs into it when we leave and lays down so I feel better about him being in there. We leave music on for him when we leave so he can have some background noise.
We did have an oops in the house yesterday which is unusual because he scratches on the door when he needs go out but thankfully it was on the tile and I didn't scold him but rather took him immediately outside. I don't normally yell at my dog anyways but I'm being extra careful to stay as calm around him as I can and not show how stressed I am!! I won't be cuddling him and reaffirming his actions like suggested and see how this all works out. I'm convinced it stress not an injury only because I'm home all day with him and hasn't done anything to injure himself also if we bring him out of the house with us he stops all the shivering and just bounces around like normal Hopefully after this weekend it'll all stop and he'll calm down when we get to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs