Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,070,568 times

Advertisements

Lately I have noticed a few obese dogs, who happen to be amongst our friends'. It really bugs me because I know it causes so many health problems for the poor things. The problem is, they don't seem to notice it at all, or people praise them for 'feeding them so well,' when in reality, it's abuse. I don't want to say anything to upset the friends, since people can seem to take it personally.

For example, we have these friends who have once of those little dachshunds. She's cute but boy is she fat...and it can't be good for her tiny little legs. My friend was complaining recently that she ignores her food & just begs & begs for treats, so she gives in. Then, we went there for a dinner party and she said she now mixes her treats in with her food, so the dog picks the treats out & leaves the food. So she's only eating dog treats, basically. I flat out told her that my yorkie will try to pull the same crap, but I ignore it and eventually she will give in and eat her food (which is health dog food). I don't think she realizes how much harm she's doing do her little wiener.

We have other friends who have an older medium sized dog. Over the years she was getting fatter & fatter, and I asked my husband about it & he said he didn't think they even noticed. All of a sudden, they tell us she has a problem which has caused her 'recent' weight gain...recent? It's been going on for years. Now it's caused all of these other issues with her legs.

So, what would you do...keep your mouth shut, or say something? I think some people would really have their feelings hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,466,870 times
In our case, our friends know it - she blames him (to me), he blames her but both overfeed. The vet has mentioned it as have both of their adult children. The dog bowl is never empty <sigh>. The dog does get exercise - daily walks and has a backyard as well - but the dog (beagle mix) must be 20 lbs over its ideal weight and its life will prob. not be as long as it c/b, all bc of something preventable. Both owners arent heavy (although she loves to cook and spends a lot of time in the kitchen). It's sad.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM

483 posts, read 659,000 times
I see more overweight beagles and dachshunds then I do any other dog. We have one dog who is a beagle mix, and I make sure to keep her trim and fit, because it is such a preventable health problem.

My Grandaddy has a Weim, and after my Grandmother passed away, that weim got...really fat, because he spoiled her. We were very blunt with him about it, and while he did get defensive and a little upset, he saw what we meant and that it was about her health. She has since lost about 20lbs(new food and more short daily walks) and is much healthier then she was(although he does still spoil her :P)

I would choose to say something, but there is a good chance they are going to get their feelings hurt, if you can, do it gently and are prepared to back off a bit if they get too offended.

If you can present them with some options, that sound like the dog is still getting spoiled and treated, but are actually good for them, maybe they would back off on the mixing treats in. Some examples are canned pumpkin, organic plain yogurt, cooked veggies(google to see which ones dogs like best) and high quality canned dog food. I know this because our beagle mix is picky about food too, so I mix a spoonful of canned food into her dry food with some warm water. They also get canned pumpkin a few times a week, as well as organic non flavored yogurt(the beagle mix has digestive issues and the pumpkin and yogurt really help keep her on track). Many dogs will eat veggies as well. As with anything though, its all about moderation. They get a small spoonful and not with every meal.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,593,279 times
My brother and his wife had a cockapoo that was obese. (they were too) The dog passed away at 12 years of age.

They got another cockapoo who doesn't eat well. Since my SIL passed away, it drives my brother crazy worrying that she's not eating enough. I told him she is MUCH healthier than their old dog. I swear he'd like to see her puffed out like a balloon like their old one was. I'm glad she eats enough but doesn't gorge herself.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,070,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
If you can present them with some options, that sound like the dog is still getting spoiled and treated, but are actually good for them, maybe they would back off on the mixing treats in. Some examples are canned pumpkin, organic plain yogurt, cooked veggies(google to see which ones dogs like best) and high quality canned dog food. I know this because our beagle mix is picky about food too, so I mix a spoonful of canned food into her dry food with some warm water. They also get canned pumpkin a few times a week, as well as organic non flavored yogurt(the beagle mix has digestive issues and the pumpkin and yogurt really help keep her on track). Many dogs will eat veggies as well. As with anything though, its all about moderation. They get a small spoonful and not with every meal.
Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll just make the suggestions the next time I see her.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,345,536 times
Oh I would say something(delicately) just because I know it can make the dog feel horrible to be overweight. My mother had a female dachshund and once she had it spade she also started feeding it table scraps and before I knew this dog weighed 30 pounds, I told my mom just to feed her dog food and give her dog treats for rewards, but my mom insisted that "pookie" was happy eating table scraps that was all that mattered. well pookie ended up living just 12 years and had awful skin allergies that made her itch all the time. Now think about how that poor dog felt itching all the time. This made me not even speak to my mom for a few years. I now have 1 miniature dachshund male and he is 12 pounds which is perfect for his age and I give him Science Diet and he likes that just fine. So I think you should give her friends a stern lecture, about how in the long run it's really in the dog or cats best interest and well being! good luck!.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 AM

279 posts, read 547,231 times
I have some sort of hound mix that started gaining. She went from 38 pounds to 44 in 9 months or so. I talked to the vet and we determined how many calories my dog really needed and adjusted. It has taken about 4 months but she is back down to 39 pounds. She runs a lot more now and has more energy. The vet actually thanked me for bringing up the weight issue and doing something about it before it got out of hand.

Maybe take healthier treats to give to your friend's dogs. Many people do not know that carrots can also be great treats. My dog LOVES raw baby carrots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs