Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times

Advertisements

She's a sweet, headstrong pup, about 9 months old and gets along great with my 15-year-old bc and my 3-year-old Houla (who loves playing with her). It's been 2 days and she has not been homesick for a moment. Even at night, when she sleeps in a pile with me and the Houla on my bed. This is a new one on me. She's currently writhing delightedly on a large foam bed, surrounded by toys.

When can I expect the tragic realization that her daddy is elsewhere to hit her? Or do some dogs just adapt without that? I've had herding dogs for the past decade or so, so I may have forgotten this about hounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Puggles can be crazy. They are high energy, the Beagle comes out when sniffing outside and they have the playfulness of a Pug. VERY VERY attentive and friendly and open for anything.

Every client of mine was the same. ONE of them was capable of jumping UP ON THE DRYER. We had to remember to keep the door closed.

An older one I had would just leave me abruptly at night after her walk, go into the bedroom and go to bed. She was DONE. LOL

I don't think she'll be like that AT ALL, she'll be fine.

Now as a pet sitter I can tell you the day is usually day FOUR when they start to show some signs - but that's because they're home alone for practically the full day. When I live in, they act totally normal the whole time. Cats too but they get a bit more needy than dogs IME.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times
Herding dogs are different I guess. My Houla goes into a depressed funk for days, and my border collie waits by the door for the first 24 hours, then forgets about me because she's 15 and starts following my housemate around - otherwise she'd still be by the door when I got home.

The puggle hasn't missed a beat. She laid claim to the biggest dog bed in the house and is sacked out on top of it with all of my dogs' toys. And a good chunk of my housemate's dogs' toys. At night she's asleep in the crook of my arm, unless she decides to wedge herself between me and the Houla. And even the 15-year-old border collie likes her.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 PM

483 posts, read 656,321 times
It depends on the dogs.

We have two, one is a hound/spaniel/lab...thing, he doesn't care. As long as he can attempt to put all 50lbs of himself in a lap and you feed him, he's yours forever lol (its very funny to watch him do this, he moves super stealth slow...like you won't notice his 50lb self moving onto your lap)

The other one is a beagle mix and her world just falls apart lol, we only board them with friends/family because of this. She won't eat at kennels and such. At friends houses she'll eat, but she does it very grudgingly and is very clingy while we are gone lol. At home, shes a momma's girl but is pretty independent and low key. She does do slightly better now that we have the 2nd one though.

Puggles are adorable though, glad she's having fun.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:55 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Herding dogs are different I guess. My Houla goes into a depressed funk for days, and my border collie waits by the door for the first 24 hours, then forgets about me because she's 15 and starts following my housemate around - otherwise she'd still be by the door when I got home.

The puggle hasn't missed a beat. She laid claim to the biggest dog bed in the house and is sacked out on top of it with all of my dogs' toys. And a good chunk of my housemate's dogs' toys. At night she's asleep in the crook of my arm, unless she decides to wedge herself between me and the Houla. And even the 15-year-old border collie likes her.
I do think herding dogs are wired very differently because you are "their herd" more or less. They are wired to work. With the same pack of animals give or take.

Beagles are wired to search and be active and inquisitive. NOT disciplined to stay and put things in circles LOL.

Pugs are wired to be clowns!

IMO puggles are "PARTY CENTRAL YAY" about life. But I'll stipulate that all the ones I've known stayed in their own home, I don't do boarding in mine. The other quality I found in them is they will NOT go #2 until the last possible moment. IMO they are trying to keep that walk going and going and they're used to the owners turning around and bringing them in once they go. Smart!

And because of the Beagle part, when they're sniffing they can trick me into thinking they're sniffing to go (but they really are NOT, they're sniffing cuz they're Beagles LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs