U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 PM

69 posts, read 65,926 times

Advertisements

I use a bark collar for incessant barking from my 5 pound, three year old dog when she is outside. She has had it on almost daily ( it comes off at night) for four months. I hate that she gets a "shock" when the incessant barking starts and gradually becomes more intense the longer she barks, but the collar does finally keep her quiet through most of the day. She is still able to get out a few "gruffs" in which are only irritating when she is inside.
I would love for her to understand that the collar is put on her when she barks too much and gets the "no barking" command more than once. When she is quiet after being told "quiet" , she is treated, and even if she is quiet for no reason, I will treat her throughout the day to try to teach her to make the distinction. She doesn't get it.
Nothing has worked to teach her that if she is quiet, there will be no collar. My other male 11 pound dog of the same breed barks only when someone comes up to the house and rarely barks outside when the little one does. He has no collar and is seven years old. The little one will bark at anything that moves, including leaves, small wildlife... anything.
Has anyone had any better success with the bark collar? Any suggestions appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 AM

9,276 posts, read 16,042,662 times
OP, you might try posting this in the DOGS forum -- you might get more people with experience in this matter.

Best of luck to you and your dogs!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,928,294 times
Barking !!!!

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...havior/barking

Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 AM

8,201 posts, read 10,789,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imirab View Post
Does your bark collar work on your dog?
No...but I hear they work pretty well on pushy listing agents.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 24,570,150 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/pets/

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM

12,016 posts, read 11,056,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imirab View Post
I use a bark collar for incessant barking from my 5 pound, three year old dog when she is outside. She has had it on almost daily ( it comes off at night) for four months. I hate that she gets a "shock" when the incessant barking starts and gradually becomes more intense the longer she barks, but the collar does finally keep her quiet through most of the day. She is still able to get out a few "gruffs" in which are only irritating when she is inside.
I would love for her to understand that the collar is put on her when she barks too much and gets the "no barking" command more than once. When she is quiet after being told "quiet" , she is treated, and even if she is quiet for no reason, I will treat her throughout the day to try to teach her to make the distinction. She doesn't get it.
Nothing has worked to teach her that if she is quiet, there will be no collar. My other male 11 pound dog of the same breed barks only when someone comes up to the house and rarely barks outside when the little one does. He has no collar and is seven years old. The little one will bark at anything that moves, including leaves, small wildlife... anything.
Has anyone had any better success with the bark collar? Any suggestions appreciated!
Bark collars are cruel torture. Let the dogs bark, don't leave them out that long by themselves. I have 2 small dogs and I let them hang out in the enclosed porch sometimes. They will bark whenever they see a person, or cat, or other dog. It's natural, they are being protective. They will bark inside the house at times when they hear a cat outside or some other noise. I let them during the day to get it out of their system. I do not let them bark in the morning or when it gets dark outside. I tell them "hey, no" and they stop. I walk my dogs daily and every dog inside their house will bark as my dogs pass by, it's normal they are protection their home. My dogs are good when out walking. Sometimes another dog will get them crazy and they will go into a barking and jumping frenzy but I just get them away from whatever is causing that.

Here is a link to the dog forum //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 AM

18,231 posts, read 24,417,489 times
1. Take off the bark collar. It obviously isn't working and is just cruelty at this point.

2. Don't leave your dog in the backyard so much.

3. Read about crate training a dog. IF you do it properly, it's a great technique for making a dog feel comfortable and secure (which your dog obviously is not).

4. MOST IMPORTANT: Find a good, professional dog trainer who utilizes positive reinforcement training methods. Do what they tell you to do.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:57 AM

26,530 posts, read 47,976,487 times

Thread moved from Real Estate to Dogs forum...

Old 03-22-2015, 01:42 PM

5,733 posts, read 9,611,007 times
My step daughter had a bark collar for her Boston Terrier. Got rid of it after her 3 year old son confused that remote with the remote to turn on the Christmas tree lights. "Mommy why won't the lights work?" Push...push...push.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM

24,841 posts, read 35,586,819 times
We use bark collars on our hounds at camp when we are hunting and they are tied or, in the dog box.

If we did not..........there would be 40 hounds barking all night.

And yes,......they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs