Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,343 times

Advertisements

I have a Shih Tzu ( 5yrs old, 12 lbs) with chronic ear infections, mostly on her left side, averaging 4-5 times a year. I say 'mostly' because she just experienced her first infection last week on her right side. All symptoms were identical to previous infections. When the ear is infected, her lymph node also swells the size of a walnut. She's had blood panels that have come back negative for cancer; reports conclude infection. Her eye runs and she sneezes; does a slow itch on the side of her head. These are indications that one is brewing. She is under constant examination at her vets office. We visit monthly. She eats Blue Buffalo grain free. She's been on the B Buffalo for 9 months due to skin allergies. All the scratching & itching of the skin stopped within 2 weeks of switching her food. The food has had no barring on the ear infections; meaning they haven't increased or decreased, which is a disappointment since I had read that switching could help if the ear infections were food related. I keep her medicine @ home - her flare ups can appear over night. Medicine works like a charm- 7day application of Tresaderm drops. Lymph node is down within 3 days. Her first infection went unnoticed; the infection traveled to her tonsils. Her throat closed and she didn't eat for 5 days. Luckily, she was able to drink water. I was force feeding her with puréed food with a syringe. Day one of not eating, she was rushed to the vets office and there she received steroids, Benadryl & an antibiotic injected in her neck. I'm frustrated. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this? I've changed vets twice. Still no answers. She's even had exploratory surgery to see if there was something lodged in her gums causing the infections; or a bad tooth. Recently, my vetanarian tech asked me what I was going to do when she stops responding to the Tresaderm. I am constantly dealt fear instead of answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishfranke View Post
I have a Shih Tzu ( 5yrs old, 12 lbs) with chronic ear infections, mostly on her left side, averaging 4-5 times a year. I say 'mostly' because she just experienced her first infection last week on her right side. All symptoms were identical to previous infections. When the ear is infected, her lymph node also swells the size of a walnut. She's had blood panels that have come back negative for cancer; reports conclude infection. Her eye runs and she sneezes; does a slow itch on the side of her head. These are indications that one is brewing. She is under constant examination at her vets office. We visit monthly. She eats Blue Buffalo grain free. She's been on the B Buffalo for 9 months due to skin allergies. All the scratching & itching of the skin stopped within 2 weeks of switching her food. The food has had no barring on the ear infections; meaning they haven't increased or decreased, which is a disappointment since I had read that switching could help if the ear infections were food related. I keep her medicine @ home - her flare ups can appear over night. Medicine works like a charm- 7day application of Tresaderm drops. Lymph node is down within 3 days. Her first infection went unnoticed; the infection traveled to her tonsils. Her throat closed and she didn't eat for 5 days. Luckily, she was able to drink water. I was force feeding her with puréed food with a syringe. Day one of not eating, she was rushed to the vets office and there she received steroids, Benadryl & an antibiotic injected in her neck. I'm frustrated. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this? I've changed vets twice. Still no answers. She's even had exploratory surgery to see if there was something lodged in her gums causing the infections; or a bad tooth. Recently, my vetanarian tech asked me what I was going to do when she stops responding to the Tresaderm. I am constantly dealt fear instead of answers.
Her immune system sounds pretty messed up. Stop vaccinating her for everything (except Rabies which is prolly state law) if you haven't already. You may be able to get an exemption for Rabies from a vet if your state allows that. Switch to a commercial AAFCO raw diet...tons of anecdotal evidence for resolution of symptoms such as these. And see a holistic vet.

These articles may be useful:
Chronic Ear Infections in Canines - Whole Dog Journal Article
Caring For and Preventing Your Dog's Ear Infections - Whole Dog Journal Article
Structure of the Canine Ear - Whole Dog Journal Article

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Thank you for your response. Yes- we have stopped all vaccinations. I am taking your advice -switching food & searching for a holistic vet. Thanks again👍🏻

Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Just checked Blue Buffalo - it's AAFCO approved

Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Just checked Blue Buffalo - it's AAFCO approved
Yup. Nearly all kibbled foods are. AAFCO merely means a food meets specified requirements of safety and nutritional quality. The reason I suggested an AAFCO commercial raw food is because some commercial raw foods are not nutritionally balanced since they are used in combination with other foods by some raw feeders. For someone just starting to feed raw it's a good idea to go with one that is already nutritionally balanced.

It's the raw aspect that has a good chance of resolving your dog's issues.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Yes- we have stopped all vaccinations. I am taking your advice -switching food & searching for a holistic vet. Thanks again👍🏻
You're welcome. I have confidence that a good holistic vet will be able to help your dog. Most, if not all, would suggest switching to raw so you'll be one step ahead of the game.

When you switch to raw be sure to do it gradually over 10-14 days. Start with just a little raw mixed in with your dog's regular kibble, reducing the kibble by the amount of raw you are adding. Stay at that for a few days then add more raw, reducing more kibble. And so on.

Here is a good resource for starting to feed raw: Bravo Beginning Booklet - Bravo Pet Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs