U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM

42,797 posts, read 53,269,097 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the electronic pet containment system? No buried wire, just radio wave which is plugged in in the house and forms a circular safe zone around your house.

If so, do you recommend it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,267,913 times
I had one but never put it up after seeing the collars...eek!

If you will use the Search function at the top of the page there was quite a bit written on this very topic just a few months ago...if you can't find it, let me know. The concensus of opinion seemed to be that the major concern is they may keep your dog in for the most part, but they keep nothing else out...and if a dog is hell bent to break that electronic barrier, off he goes. Also, if the power goes out they are useless without a back up system.

I decided to return mine and put my money into privacy fencing where I could be SURE of what was going on and my dogs are as safe as possible, not only from random escape but from from sneaky fingers that just might want to carry them off...although how anyone would carry them off from the couch in front of the fireplace remains a mystery...

Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 PM

782 posts, read 3,625,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Has anyone used the electronic pet containment system? No buried wire, just radio wave which is plugged in in the house and forms a circular safe zone around your house.

If so, do you recommend it?
I'm using the radio wave unit inside the house and i like it.I put the collar on before letting the dog out and take it off when the dog comes back inside.I sometimes forget to put the collar on,the dog still stay with in the parameters.If the power goes off put your pet on the leash.If the power goes off while the dog is outside ,hopefully the dog is trained to stay with in the parameters it suppose too.I recommend it.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM

13,169 posts, read 548,752 times
The biggest concern I would have is not about my dogs getting out, but about other animals getting in.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,137,237 times
I wish could afford a 6 foot chain link all around my property but in my town have to ask neighbors also and one would tell me NO as she is a witch and has no heart for animals or kids.So kennel run and deck for mine. Unsure on radio collar one with my hounds either and with 5 dogs may get to expensive specially when a scent gets them going nothing stops em.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM

1,478 posts, read 7,536,703 times
Default Invisible/Electronic Fence

I tried an electronic fence years ago when I lived in the country on a dead end road. I found it unsatisfactory. I have extensive experience training dogs and I worked hard to reinforce the boundaries of the fence. The dogs respected the boundary and stayed inside the perimeter until one day a stray dog came by and growled and barked at my dogs. I called my dogs to come to me. One turned around and barked one last time at the strange dog. The dog ran toward my dog and my dog charged through the perimeter to chase the strange dog away. Then my dog came trotting back, very pleased with himself, only to get the warning tone as he approached the perimeter. So, he was outside and couldn't get in without being shocked. I turned off the power and brought him in. He was a smart dog. He learned that day that he could go through the barrier, get a small shock, and be on his way. My other dog learned from watching his companion, so after a couple of days neither dog respected the invisible fence any longer. I continued to try to train them to stay inside the barrier, but at any provocation they'd be off. I quit using the invisible fence. I also found the dogs were traumatized and confused by the experience of being shocked, so despite what the companies say, there's a behavioral impact IMHO.

A chain link fence may not be your only option. We installed a post and rail fence with hardware cloth stapled to the rails and posts. It's 4 feet high and the wire is almost invisible. It works well and isn't an eyesore.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,205,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The biggest concern I would have is not about my dogs getting out, but about other animals getting in.

EXACTLY!! So many people use these types of fence not realizing that other dogs or wild animals can get on your property and attack your pet. Not to mention, the larger breeds of dogs usually learn quite quickly that if they run fast there is minimal pain for a very short amount of time and they are free.

I've thought of using them for blocking off areas of the yard I don't want the dogs near, like the veggie or flower gardens, and thought of using them in the house to keep them out of the bedrooms and kitchen, but never in a million years would I risk my pets life and well being by using one as the primary outdoor containment system.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 9,526 times
Default Electronic Fence

We have used one for about 5 years. Training is identical for the units with a buried wire. The only issue is be sure to check batteries on a regular basis.

The good thing is that we have moved several times over the last 6 years. We take the unit put up flags on the new perimiter for afew days and we are done.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 PM

13,848 posts, read 23,335,555 times
We looked into the wireless system, but we were told that it works best if your property is reasonably flat. Ours is terraced to several levels, and we were advised against it.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 39,324 times
Well, with an electric fence you can prevent your pet from going outside... But what about other animals that tends to get in your area. Think of it...

It's better to invest in a normal fence materials rather than investing in an electric fence. Think of the advantages you get from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs