Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 AM

385 posts, read 489,454 times

Advertisements

I have an 18-week old mini schnauzer puppy.

Lately, his biting seems to have gotten out of control. He has plenty of chew toys, and we take him for walks pretty much everyday. When we walk, he will instantly start biting at our feet. He's biting HARD. Sometimes when we walk, he'll bite our pant leg and start to growl loudly. If we pick him up to hold him, he bites.

When we are out walking, he will bark and growl at any person that walks by. When other dogs are around, he'll start to growl as well. We can't take him to our family's house because he tries to bite the children.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can't even walk around without him biting at my feet. It's gotten so bad that sometimes he'll bite hard enough that my feet or hands bleed.

I've tried every conventional method mentioned on these forums and nothing seems to work. Once he gets his third set of shots later this week, I planned on taking him to doggie daycare in another week or so to see if some more playtime will calm him down a bit. He even bites at the vet and groomer. I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,817,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
I have an 18-week old mini schnauzer puppy.

Lately, his biting seems to have gotten out of control. He has plenty of chew toys, and we take him for walks pretty much everyday. When we walk, he will instantly start biting at our feet. He's biting HARD. Sometimes when we walk, he'll bite our pant leg and start to growl loudly. If we pick him up to hold him, he bites.

When we are out walking, he will bark and growl at any person that walks by. When other dogs are around, he'll start to growl as well. We can't take him to our family's house because he tries to bite the children.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can't even walk around without him biting at my feet. It's gotten so bad that sometimes he'll bite hard enough that my feet or hands bleed.

I've tried every conventional method mentioned on these forums and nothing seems to work. Once he gets his third set of shots later this week, I planned on taking him to doggie daycare in another week or so to see if some more playtime will calm him down a bit. He even bites at the vet and groomer. I don't know what to do.
You need an experienced trainer who will help you train and socialize your pup ASAP. And FYI, he may not be allowed in doggie day care if he exhibits aggression toward other dogs which seems very likely based on your post. Any well run day care requires a visit to access your dog's suitability before allowing them to attend day care.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:24 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Your pup is going through the very normal puppy biting stage. It's important that you correct his biting behavior, re-direct his attention, and most importantly BE CONSISTENT!!

You don't need to pay a trainer to teach your pup, YOU can do this, but the single most important factor is BE CONSISTENT. Patience and repetition will also help. Whatever method you choose to train him, make sure EVERYONE in the house is using the same method and that everyone he comes in contact with knows that he is being trained and that you need to take control to deal with it. Don't allow them to say things like "oh, he's just a puppy, it's okay".

Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Your pup is going through the very normal puppy biting stage. It's important that you correct his biting behavior, re-direct his attention, and most importantly BE CONSISTENT!!

You don't need to pay a trainer to teach your pup, YOU can do this, but the single most important factor is BE CONSISTENT. Patience and repetition will also help. Whatever method you choose to train him, make sure EVERYONE in the house is using the same method and that everyone he comes in contact with knows that he is being trained and that you need to take control to deal with it. Don't allow them to say things like "oh, he's just a puppy, it's okay".
I understand puppies have a "biting" stage but his biting at this point seems a bit extreme. He's growling too, it seems like he's trying to be aggressive. We've socialized him since 10 weeks old.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:47 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,042,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
I understand puppies have a "biting" stage but his biting at this point seems a bit extreme. He's growling too, it seems like he's trying to be aggressive. We've socialized him since 10 weeks old.
keep at it. when he bites redirect his focus. keep his leash and collar on, when he growls pull up on the leash and tell him no in a loud voice. make sure he knows you are the one in control and not him. it could takes weeks of being very consistent, do not give up he will get it.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM

483 posts, read 655,892 times
A 18 week old puppy should not be biting like that. That is not a "biting stage" it sounds like he almost bites everything that moves.

I doubt anyone on here will be able to give you advice you have no tried other than; professional trainer now before he gets bigger AND a through vet visit to make sure he is not in pain.

In the mean time:

Stop picking him up, some dogs don't like to be hugged and cuddled. He may be associating you with something he doesn't like.
He might have been roughly handled by a child, thus is defending himself against them too. You need a trainer and to give him some space.

Last edited by kaelti12; 05-27-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
A 18 month old puppy should not be biting like that.

No, not an 18 month, but the OP said 18 WEEK, that's just over 4 months, and is about the right stage.

Consistency, training, consistency, re-direction, consistency, repetition, consistency, exercise, consistency, puppy socialization classes, consistency...notice a theme here?

And the best piece of advice I ever heard? A tired dog is a good dog.

I didn't mean to infer that you haven't done your best for your pup. I'm sure you have done very well. But your pup is at the biting, authority testing stage. This is where your patience and consistency will really have an effect. Keep up what you are doing, don't give in to the little brat-face!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 PM

483 posts, read 655,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
No, not an 18 month, but the OP said 18 WEEK, that's just over 4 months, and is about the right stage.

Consistency, training, consistency, re-direction, consistency, repetition, consistency, exercise, consistency, puppy socialization classes, consistency...notice a theme here?

And the best piece of advice I ever heard? A tired dog is a good dog.

I didn't mean to infer that you haven't done your best for your pup. I'm sure you have done very well. But your pup is at the biting, authority testing stage. This is where your patience and consistency will really have an effect. Keep up what you are doing, don't give in to the little brat-face!
I understood they meant week, I mis-typed. Its fixed now.

Still, an 18 week old puppy shouldn't be drawing blood all the time. The OP post makes it sounds like basically any interaction they have with dog involves biting. OP states the puppy is biting/growling at other people and other dogs.
That isn't normal, not even for puppies testing. That sounds like a dog that is fearful and trying to defend itself.

I have friends who breed border collies, a breed known for nipping at heels and testing limits and they do not draw blood more then a time or two when testing as puppies do.

IMO not normal. The OP needs a trainer before the dog gets bigger.

A consult and sessions from a trainer can save them a lot of potential heart break later down the road.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
I understood they meant week, I mis-typed. Its fixed now.

Still, an 18 week old puppy shouldn't be drawing blood all the time. The OP post makes it sounds like basically any interaction they have with dog involves biting. OP states the puppy is biting/growling at other people and other dogs.
That isn't normal, not even for puppies testing. That sounds like a dog that is fearful and trying to defend itself.

I have friends who breed border collies, a breed known for nipping at heels and testing limits and they do not draw blood more then a time or two when testing as puppies do.

IMO not normal. The OP needs a trainer before the dog gets bigger.

A consult and sessions from a trainer can save them a lot of potential heart break later down the road.
He's drawn blood just twice. Maybe I was exaggerating. He bit my finger, and bit my spouse's toe.

To clarify, he will bark or growl at a dog until they come up to him and then he just licks them or the other dog will lick my pup. He does bark at any person walking by. Rarely can I walk without him nipping at my feet. As I take a step, he bites. His teeth are coming in and it's actually painful.

I can throw the ball around wth him, pet him sometimes, but it doesn't take long before he starts biting at my hands.

We started him in puppy training/socialization classes at 10 weeks old. At first he was afraid to play with other dogs. 6 weeks later and he is barking at them and kind of playing. Maybe he is scared. I noticed he only does this when bigger dogs walk by, and he doesn't stop until he sees the other dog is gentle. We try to calm him down and once we do that, he can socialize with the other dog calmly.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 PM

19,816 posts, read 22,710,079 times
I've had Basenji's do that. Assertion of dominance helps when they are young. It get's their attention pretty darned quick. Firm loud "NO!!" or "UHH-UUUHHHH!!!!" helps. Our Basenji's hated to be rolled on their backs, and that's what I did to stop biting and nipping. Right in their face and loud "NO'S!!!" got the message across.

Dogs have personalities, some due to breed prone traits. Learn them and react to their personalities. That's helped us a lot through our years with different dogs. They are all different, they all respond differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs