Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

Since Frontline isn't working our vet recommended - very highly I might add - Comfortis for them. So I treated the six smaller dogs with it this afternoon. The poodle refused to take it. I even tried forcing him to take it and he spit it out.

I mixed the Comfortis in with their canned food to make sure they'd eat it. The other five took it with no problem and ate a full meal afterwards. Within three house, Belle, our female chi, started vomiting repeatedly. An hour after that my little Munchi started. So far BooBoo, Princess and Angus haven't had a problem. I can't think of anything else that would cause them getting sick though.

The big dogs got Capstar for now and I'm going this weekend and grabbing them the Advantage Multi. I did a web search on Comfortis to see if anyone else was seeing these problems and the very first thing that pops up says one in six dogs dies from it. Now, I know that's not true or it never would have been approved. But vomiting is a common side effect. I'm guessing that since it caused them to throw up so soon there's no real effect on the fleas because it's not had time to be absorbed into their blood stream.

After this I'm really leery of using it again. I'm thinking of going with the Advantage Multi for the dogs. A friend that runs a rescue in IN uses it and said there's not a flea to be found in her house.

Anyone else have problems with Comfortis? Or use AM and have success with it? The fleas the last couple days are so bad that the people in the house are now being bitten. I can't treat the yard because of the tortoises, but we're spraying the house and putting down Borax behind furniture (the dogs can't get to it) and washing their bedding like crazy. Going nuts trying to figure out how else to get rid of these evil things!

Comfortis flea treatment causes vomiting and death in dogs - Atlanta Pet Health | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Both of my dogs have taken Comfortis for the past two years. You might recheck to make sure that you are giving your dogs the proper dosage. I buy the 10-16 pound size, as I have one dog that weighs 16#'s and the other 7#'s, I give the heavier guy one whole pill, I give the other one 1/2 of a pill. I wrap them in american cheese, both dogs wolf them down.

I have not had one issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Got the dosage right.

I've found a bunch of other posts on here that say throwing up is common. Hoping that's all that's going on. Have a call in to the vet. Worried sick about them now. Some posters have had their dogs die from it. Don't think I'll be using it again. I'll be a wreck until tomorrow morning.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,945 times
I've had my dog on Comfortis for about a year without any problems. I've also had good luck with Advantix(not the same as Advantage), ask your vet.. From my experience Frontline is a waste of money.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,970 times
My dogs have been on Comfortis for over a year and I have had no problems.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM

19 posts, read 58,262 times
I've had my 6 month old lab pup on Comfortis for the past 3 months and have had no problems. Haven't found a flea on him, now if he would stop laying near fire ant mounds we would be ok.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
I agree frontline has stopped working in some areas. I have used comfotis for 2 years now and
it kills the fleas. That was the reason for the switch from frontline although the spray worked.
My dog spits it out so I need to be sure she gets it and she does this with her heart worm pill.
Then I feed her and she is happy again. No problems with getting sick or anything she just
trys to spit it out. It does sure cost money and I get it from dr foster and smith which helps.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I agree frontline has stopped working in some areas. I have used comfotis for 2 years now and
it kills the fleas. That was the reason for the switch from frontline although the spray worked.
My dog spits it out so I need to be sure she gets it and she does this with her heart worm pill.
Then I feed her and she is happy again. No problems with getting sick or anything she just
trys to spit it out. It does sure cost money and I get it from dr foster and smith which helps.
My dog spits his out also. I've tried hiding it in food, but he still spits it out. It gets kinda ugly on Comfortis day, But I always win.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
My dog spits his out also. I've tried hiding it in food, but he still spits it out. It gets kinda ugly on Comfortis day, But I always win.
I do agree with you, and I also win with that pill. I also do not to the
heart worm and comfortis on the same day! I did the hide trick and out it does come. The heart worm pill is flavored and the Bichon loved it.
This dog also eats anything anyway I really don't like fleas! She spits both out or trys! I did hear some way you can grind it up and do with the food?
Anyway, maybe with some ice cream?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 29,227 times
My dogs have been on Comfortis for more than a year and they are beginning to have horrible side effects. They are both old, 14 and 15, and last month Purdy became nauseus after taking the pill and never recovered. Eventually she had to go to the vet and be on a drip. After the drip, when I figure all the Comfortis had been washed out of her, she had the best appetite she has shown for over a year. I gave her the Comfortis on Thursday night and she is very sick again. My other dog got very bad dairrhea and almost died from dehydration. The truth is, nobody knows the long-term effects of this drug yet, so I can only say please be very careful and at the first sign of problems discontinue giving this to your dogs.
The other poisons, Advantix, etc. are also really bad for your dogs. I wish I had an answer as to a natural product that really works and don't know what I will do because I am in Florida where fleas are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs