Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:33 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,160 times

Advertisements

Long ago, I had a mixed opinion on this breed. There was a time I didn't even consider them as problematic as a Pitbull or Rotty that makes headlines more. However, I still haven't completely gotten over how about 5 years ago, I was nearly attacked by my neighbor's two Golden Retrievers. They were growling at me in a menacing way and seemed in a positioned ready to attack if it weren't for the lady telling them to get in.

It happened at night time (that's already even scarier) and though I realized making my fear known only got them to react angrily, she didn't even apologized. Those dogs weren't ever friendly to others either. Luckily, they all moved out and haven't seen those dogs ever since.

The Golden Retrievers looked exactly like this type and they were large:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden...Retriever.jpeg

Interesting, basically out of practically every single median-large sized dog I've always fear since childhood (an unknown fear that I have no idea where it originated and nope I have never been bitten by a dog ever), it's a Golden Retriever who I didn't even had in mind. Now I'm wondering how are their temperaments in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Like most dogs, it depends on their upbringing. They are pretty protective so maybe the ones you encountered thought you were a threat.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:02 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Like most dogs, it depends on their upbringing. They are pretty protective so maybe the ones you encountered thought you were a threat.
Thanks but I have to say those two were straight forward mean. They also tried to attack another dog without any provocation (it was enough when they saw the other dog and already started barking) at all on two occasions. The lady didn't seem like a great owner either.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:23 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
First off I think most breeds would growl at a stranger near their yards. Growling and getting ready to attack are 2 different things. I wasn't there so I don't know for sure but me thinks you may be overreacting.

As for the breeds they are actually for the most part one of the tamest, sweetest, breeds there is. Most are far more interested in a tennis ball then biting you. I've never owned one so I'm not posting this out of bias towards the breed. But anyone who knows dogs will know that a golden is about the least aggressive breed there is.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,228 times
I agree w/PAhippo, it likely has to do with how the owner raised them. In general, Goldens are sweet and laid back dogs. I have heard of the occasional "bad apple," but I think that could happen with any breed if the dog is raised by a terrible owner who encourages aggression. I don't think it makes sense to write off an entire breed based on an incident with two dogs who appear to have been corrupted by a bad owner. The goldens I've known are/were extremely loving and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
There is one down the road from us that sounds as viscous as a junk yard dog when we walk by the yard. Hair up, growling, barking- sounds like he means business.

My German Shorthair male, Schnitzel, sounds more ferocious than the Golden when someone walks by- but once they walk up the drive or come into the yard with the intentions of petting or talking to him- he's one giant happy wagging dog that would bowl you over with love.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
Ditto, it is all in how they are trained, especially where Goldens and Labs are concerned.

I was once "held up", on the next road over, by a passel of Golden mixes whose heads were level with the hood of my Saturn. They were trained by their nutcase owner with a silent whistle.

The last time he sent them to the road (the house was ~500 feet back), I was riding my no-fear horse and had a squirt gun full of water. He sent the dogs out, my horse turned on them, and I Let loose with the squirt gun.

He didn't know I Could see him hiding beside the house. I hollered that he'd better get those dogs back in the yard before the sheriff paid him another visit, or the next time I Would have a real gun with real bullets.

The real gun part wasn't quite true, my horse didn't like guns, I'd've had to come back in the car lol

Meaning, his Golden/mixes were ten times more aggressive than my Dobermans and Rottweilers ever thought of being, because I didn't train them to be aggressive.

Any idiot can make any breed of dog mean or meaner, depending on the breed.

My neighbor's Weimaraners and Lab don't have a mean bone in any of them; they are kids dogs. Their worst attribute is they like to sneak into my barn and steal the cat food. Those Weimaraners can scale four high bales of hay to get that food. They are far from hungry or mean --- they are just flat out thieves

Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Still trying to figure out how a "bad owner" can turn a passive breed aggressive.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Still trying to figure out how a "bad owner" can turn a passive breed aggressive.
Aggressiveness is often a result of fear. Fear is often a result of abuse. Abuse is the owner's fault. Pretty simple.

And I don't know that I would call GR's "passive" - they tend to be eager to please, hence more easily trainable than other breeds. But make no mistake, they are a sporting breed and require an outlet for all that energy.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Golden Retrievers in general are goofy, happy, enthusiastic, and people-lovin'.

Unfortunately, because they are popular and easy to sell, the puppy mills will breed them. Puppy mills don't care about temperament or health. All they care about is selling puppies, so sometimes they breed dogs with inherited bad or untypical temperaments. temperament is inherited and if you breed parent dogs with faulty temperament, you will get puppies with faulty temperament.

That means that you can not rely 100% on every golden retriever you meet to be a big loveable goofball.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-13-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs