Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times

Advertisements

I've got an ancient (22 or 23 y/o) Beagle mix named "Buddy". He is blind, deaf and incontinent. On the other hand he still wags his tail, sniffs around for food and eats really well.

On Friday it seemed as if he was not feeling well, eyes half closed, head hanging low and not as coordinated as he usually is. I felt he was approaching the end so Saturday I dug his grave and was going to make an appointment this week for him to go. Sunday he was back to his normal behavior and possibly the best I have seen him in months (lots of tail wagging and speed while he wandered around the yard).

Is this just a last rally? Should I go ahead and make an appointment to have him put down? He doesn't seem to be in any distress or pain; just really old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Our Dobie I believe experienced this. He was 12. In the days leading up to his sudden death, he acted like a young puppy again.. i remember one day after having a rough week...he just raised up, stretched his massive body up like he was reaching for the sun, took in a heavy breath of fresh air and turned his stoic face to me...it was like he was saying" I'm leaving soon let's play"

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
They say people have a last rally, so why not? My Basset Hound had been off her feed and water for three days (all weekend) when she suddenly had the urge to go down to the lake, something she hadn't done in many months. I'd go down there and bring her back up in a wagon. That afternoon I didn't see her and my husband said she'd gone down to the dock. We called and called and couldn't find her. My husband, on a hunch, went and looked underneath the dock, and she had curled up in a comfy position and died there.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They say people have a last rally, so why not? My Basset Hound had been off her feed and water for three days (all weekend) when she suddenly had the urge to go down to the lake, something she hadn't done in many months. I'd go down there and bring her back up in a wagon. That afternoon I didn't see her and my husband said she'd gone down to the dock. We called and called and couldn't find her. My husband, on a hunch, went and looked underneath the dock, and she had curled up in a comfy position and died there.

I do think they know. I can tell my old fellow is winding down, my prayer is that he gets the chance to die in his favorite place like yours did.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:40 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,789 times
OK this is a very sad thread. I do not know why I read it....
I had a dog when I was a kid and she died. I refused to eat for 2 days. And since then, I did not want to have another dog.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
We had made an appointment to put our dog down when she was really ill. In spite of a rough night, that morning she was playing, running, wagging her tail, chasing her ball so we almost cancelled the appointment. However, after she played that morning, she started shivering and hid under the bed and wouldn't come out; something she had never done before. So we kept the appointment.

I think dogs use whatever energy they have left to please their masters, so that's what she did for us that morning.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Yes, definitely, yes. Just like humans often do.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Every dog I've ever had told me when it was time. Each in a different way, but the message was clear. If you are listening, he will tell you when it is time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs