Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 AM

50,457 posts, read 64,308,089 times

Advertisements

When I had a dog, she got her pills in peanut butter, and pb stuffed into the inside of a bone sometimes. I'm pretty sure we use the non lethal peanut butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,469,262 times
For my own sake, as well as my dogs, I do read peanut butter labels along with other food labels. I wouldn't ever have expected to find xylitol, and I've never heard of the 2 brands that apparently contain it. But for anyone who does buy those brands, it really would be critical to know this. I don't generally read the same food labels when I continue buying the same product, but it's good to be reminded that products do change recipes sometimes.

Is Peanut Butter Safe For Dogs? Please Beware

Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,931,700 times
I don't feed my dogs table food but Mister Norma does because it makes HIM feel good

He will slip them meat, some of the salad, and sometimes pasta, all of which grates on me to no end because I don't like begging animals. They live in the house, they are far from starving with their feed bowls of "Taste of the Wild".

That said, if I can't get a pill down one of the dogs when they need one, I wrap it in raw Hamburg.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,321,543 times
I use Kong peanut butter specifically made for dogs, not the real thing.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm still waiting for your personal opinion or experience on the subject.

Do you feed your dog peanut butter? Ever had one die from it?
I don't have any personal experience with my dogs getting into antifreeze but I know to keep it away from them.

I don't sweat everything my dogs eat but Xylitol is one thing I'm very careful about. As it's toxic to dogs in small amounts.

Personally I appreciate these types of posts.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM

188 posts, read 210,409 times
I mix pb and kefir and freeze into little cubes for an occasional treat. Its also the only way he'll take any medication.
We use an organic, single ingredient pb.

I had no idea they even made a pb with xylitol, though it shouldn't be surprising. Everything is chemicals now.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,886,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I am not sure why you feel that because it is in TONS of other stuff that it is ok for your dog to ingest.
Please show me where I said that.

Schools really need to push reading comprehension more.

My point, which I clearly stated, was that lots of other things also have xylitol.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,469,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Please show me where I said that.

Schools really need to push reading comprehension more.

My point, which I clearly stated, was that lots of other things also have xylitol.
The difference is, it's a fairly common practice for people to give their dogs peanut butter stuffed kongs on a daily basis. They aren't likely to get as much of other types of "people food". It's good info.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,262,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Xylitol in peanut butter? It's a sweetener and it's in TONS of other stuff your dog might be eating too.

I'm in the 'don't get obsessive about checking every little thing' club.
Xylitol is not in "TONS of other stuff your dog might be eating too" unless you feed your dog chewing gum, mints and other candies. Most people do not feed their dogs that stuff. But many people do feed their dogs peanut butter. Thus the valid warning of the unusual inclusion of xylitol in a food that many people frequently do feed their dogs.

XYLITOL: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Since even a small amount of xylitol can be extremely toxic for dogs you might want to check out of that club on this issue.

snopes.com: Xylitol Deadly to Dogs?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,262,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm still waiting for your personal opinion or experience on the subject.

Do you feed your dog peanut butter? Ever had one die from it?
The OP did give his/her opinion in the original post "check for xylitol- it can kill" so you are actually waiting merely for his/her experience.

The original post was intended to warn of two peanut butters that contain xylitol. The vast majority of peanut butters do not. Your question regarding the OP's personal experience is thus irrelevant to this issue.

Conversely, the OP's linked warning is relevant since peanut butter would not normally be considered to contain xylitol. Savvy readers will now check ingredient labels whereas they likely did not prior to the warning.

One does not have to personally experience a disaster in order to wisely practice disaster prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs