U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,331,584 times

Advertisements

Not just pits of course, but any breed typically recognized as dangerous. Most people here seem very against breed-banning laws, which I can understand if you are an owner of one of the breeds in question.

What I'm curious about is what you see as the alternative solution to breed bans, because we all know that there will never be an end to irresponsible pet owners that don't properly train their naturally more-aggressive breeds to behave.

What would you suggest as a reasonable alternative other than just leaving it at the status quo?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM

12,975 posts, read 31,715,312 times
I am and will always be strongly opposed to ANY proposed bans on ANY breed of dog. But I do have some ideas to help:

Make it a Felony for a person who has criminal background (violent crime arrest and/or felony convictions) to own, posses, or at any time have in their possession Pit Bulls, Corsos, Presa Canarios, American Bulldogs, Bull Mastiffs, Rotweillers, or Dogue de Bordeaux.

Make it a Felony for any household that is either a primary or secondary residence of any person with criminal background (violent crime, felony convictions, gang affiliation, criminal organzation, on probation, etc.) to at any time board, house, hold or have on the property any of the above mentioned dogs.

Make it a Felony for any person/persons to have, own, possess, board or at any time have in their posession any of the mentioned breeds if they are not legally documented resident aliens or citizens of the USA.

Have slightly higher registration and licensing fees for these breeds.

No other laws are needed other than these I mentioned. As you can see, these law would be directed at the owner and NOT THE BREEDS. As we all know, the problem has always been with the owners and not the breeds.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,320,039 times
Here is what I think,
1. Dog will help in rehabilitation of criminals, especially those that can be saved. Pit bull dogs are wonderful therapy dogs if trained.
2. Immigration status shouldn’t be the deciding factor. Legal or not legal, we are all human beings. How many percentages of illegal immigrants actually have dogs?
3. Any person who abuses animals should be given a long jail time and a hefty fine. If caught twice, this person should be registered in a database (like sex offender registry) so he or she can’t get another pet. And neighbors would know to keep their pets away from him or her.
4. Once verified, any person who reported abuse should be awarded financially (small amount of money, $50, will make everyone act). The award money can come from donation and the money collected from abusers.
5. No breed or normal decent human being should be banned regardless their background or blood lines.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Im not one for rehabbing criminals especially if they are career criminals (more than one arrest). Lets have them bake cookies instead of working with potentially dangerous dogs and becoming experts with them.

IN RESPONSE TO LINLINGS POST:
1. Dog will help in rehabilitation of criminals, especially those that can be saved. Pit bull dogs are wonderful therapy dogs if trained. True, but instead of giving criminals pitbulls as "therapy" dogs, lets give them poodles and chihuauas. Id rather have "Sleepy", "Joker", "Stranger" and "Sniper" working with Poodles as part of their criminal rehab instead of the dog that most criminals love.

2. Immigration status shouldn’t be the deciding factor. Legal or not legal, we are all human beings. How many percentages of illegal immigrants actually have dogs? Doesnt matter. The "problem pitbull owner" usually treats his dog more like a weapon to be used (like a gun) instead of a family member like most responsible pet owners, so in this case, if they cant legally buy a gun, they should not legally be able to own one of these breeds.

3. Any person who abuses animals should be given a long jail time and a hefty fine. If caught twice, this person should be registered in a database (like sex offender registry) so he or she can’t get another pet. And neighbors would know to keep their pets away from him or her. Great idea.

4. Once verified, any person who reported abuse should be awarded financially (small amount of money, $50, will make everyone act). The award money can come from donation and the money collected from abusers. Another good idea.

5. No breed or normal decent human being should be banned regardless their background or blood lines. No breed should be banned EVER, but if you have ANY type of violent/criminal background, I dont care who you are, you should not be allowed to own one of these dogs PERIOD.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,279,123 times
Suggestion:
This should be titled the BSL "thing". The original poster is more bringing discussion on BSL and breed banning than pitbulls. We are getting too much focus on the breed as it is.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,321,335 times
The only alternative workable solutions to Breed Bans is people bans. Stop the idiots owning a dangerous dog and youre done.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The only alternative workable solutions to Breed Bans is people bans. Stop the idiots owning a dangerous dog and youre done.
Rep points to BrianH. You are sooooo correct.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,687,586 times
Default "Felony" has a broad spectrum of meaning

I have a friend who once had a crazy night that ended in a felony. Not a crazy night in a "fun" way, but a night where his ride was stolen amongst other things.

He accepts full responsibility for what he did (broke a window...someone else's). He made monetary amends and complied with his probation, which went on for a couple of years.

Yet he committed a "felony" and that fact will follow him forever. My friend is not a criminal, never was, he's a hardworking citizen like most of us. I'd hate to see him further punished with yet another restriction, he's been punished enough.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM

253 posts, read 1,006,040 times
We need to register the owners of ALL DOGS, NOT BREED SPECIFIC!

When you go get a puppy or dog, there is a financial outlay, so 1st: The owner needs to register with their info and what they want the dog for!
2 nd: Check the background of the owner, criminal convictions, illeagles, domestic violence, to see if they've been abusive in the past with animals. Past animal abuse shows up, they shouldn't be able to have another dog or cat or gerbil or parakeet, etc.....
3 rd: micro-chip the dog, this way they can't just turn it lose or leave it behind, because they will be found. If they can't keep the dog then take it to a shelter and surrender it, no questions asked.
4 th: Spay/Neuter definitely
5 th: Tags as required by City/County, along with vacinations.

The reason this question even keeps roaring its ugly head is primarily irresponsible owners.
I'm sure no responsible owners of any dogs will have a problem with the above requirements.
Just maybe we may stop irresponsible people from adding to the problems that ALL dogs have.
If most people do the above, the City/County won't look for much $ in licensing because their problems will be almost solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Not just pits of course, but any breed typically recognized as dangerous. Most people here seem very against breed-banning laws, which I can understand if you are an owner of one of the breeds in question.

What I'm curious about is what you see as the alternative solution to breed bans, because we all know that there will never be an end to irresponsible pet owners that don't properly train their naturally more-aggressive breeds to behave.

What would you suggest as a reasonable alternative other than just leaving it at the status quo?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 PM

253 posts, read 1,006,040 times
I totally agree with this scenario, Riv...
People make mistakes and live with the consequences. I don't think this type of mistake should influence someone caring responsibly for a dog or any animal, and I didn't want to infer that in my response.
So I hope no one here takes what I said out of context, I was referring to animal cruelty, abuse, and criminal behavior linked with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I have a friend who once had a crazy night that ended in a felony. Not a crazy night in a "fun" way, but a night where his ride was stolen amongst other things.

He accepts full responsibility for what he did (broke a window...someone else's). He made monetary amends and complied with his probation, which went on for a couple of years.

Yet he committed a "felony" and that fact will follow him forever. My friend is not a criminal, never was, he's a hardworking citizen like most of us. I'd hate to see him further punished with yet another restriction, he's been punished enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs