Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on adopting a dog any time soon, I still have my 15-year-old Shepherd mix and she's not keen on having other dogs around too much (she's okay with my mom's dogs and my brother's dog). I think it's just her age and weakness, she feels vulnerable (and she seems to dislike change now that she's older too).

Anyway, I always figured if and when the time comes and I ever get another dog, I'd get one that is at least 3-5 years old. My reasoning being I want a dog that's out of the crazy puppy years, but still young enough to do things with (I really miss hiking and running with my dog, she just can't do it any more--she's fragile like an elderly old lady). But I started to wonder about that--if I should rule out puppies all together.

My dog is super... very well trained, no behavior problems, no psychological issues. She gets along great with kids, other animals, and is generally a "good dog." She has her "Canine Good Citizen" certification. I got her as a three month-old puppy and training her was easy (had her house broken in two weeks... all it took was a little positive reinforcement and she got it). Growing up my dogs were the same, very good, well trained, no issues. Again, we got those dogs as puppies.

My mom has two older rescues with what I can best all "mental issues" with extreme fear for one and dog aggression in the other. Her one dog hides in it's kennel most of the time and the other, while friend towards people, is dog aggressive. My brother's dog is a rescue too and also has extreme fear issues. And I had a stray/feral dog I took years ago in and tamed and trained... she was 6 months old when I got her and a lot of work and was never really 100% (although she also earn AKC Canine Good Citizen).

So here's my question. What are your experiences with shelter dogs as puppies and adults? While my experience is telling me older rescue dogs often have issues, I don't know if that's really true or just my limited experience. I am only talking about three dogs here that were older rescues (I am not counting my 6-month old dog... she was a weird case. Originally they weren't even going to adopt her, just put her down because she was "too feral"). So I would like to hear from others who adopted (or had dogs since their were puppies).

It's just something I want to consider when I do get my next dog--I've always been ruling out getting a puppy and now I am wondering if I should reconsider. Either way, whatever dog I get will be a shelter dog (it's where I always get my pets).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Puppies are hard to find in shelters. So finding a young adult when your ready shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Puppies are hard to find in shelters. So finding a young adult when your ready shouldn't be a problem.
I think a lot of it depends on where you live. I got my current dog at a shelter as a puppy (and the one I had before who was feral was still a puppy at 6 months old). Older dogs are more common of course. It's funny, I have looked and considered getting another dog now and there is no shortage of I guess what would be young adult dogs that are 1-2 years old too. It actually seems harder to find them at around 5-years-old. I finally ruled it out getting another dog for now for the sake of my elderly dog--she gets along with other dogs, but I can tell she gets a little stressed out too. I think it's because she's in pain with arthritis and weak from just being old--my guess is she feels vulnerable. And I really don't want a new dog coming in and possibly stressing her out. She's happy, so I figure leave things be for now.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I think a lot of it depends on where you live. I got my current dog at a shelter as a puppy (and the one I had before who was feral was still a puppy at 6 months old). Older dogs are more common of course. It's funny, I have looked and considered getting another dog now and there is no shortage of I guess what would be young adult dogs that are 1-2 years old too. It actually seems harder to find them at around 5-years-old. I finally ruled it out getting another dog for now for the sake of my elderly dog--she gets along with other dogs, but I can tell she gets a little stressed out too. I think it's because she's in pain with arthritis and weak from just being old--my guess is she feels vulnerable. And I really don't want a new dog coming in and possibly stressing her out. She's happy, so I figure leave things be for now.
I do think you're smart not to bring another dog into the house with your 15 year old. It would add a lot of stress to her life and who knows if they'd get along in her house even if she likes other dogs generally.

There are no shortages of puppies where I am. I agree it's regional.

I think puppy vs an adult is going to depend a lot on the individual dog or puppy. All puppies will have to be housebroken, go through teething/chewing stage and be taught basic house manners. An older dog may not have any of these issues (it will be through teething of course). If you adopt an older dog from a rescue that has been in a foster home, odds are pretty good that you'll get a reasonably accurate idea about the dog's habits and personality. No guarantee of course, the dog may act differently in your house.

Dogs in a shelter are harder to judge. They could have issues or they could be easy keepers. I have personally seen dogs that act crazy in the shelter or at an adoption event become totally different dogs in a home setting. They fit right in with their new family quickly and without incident. It was the shelter environment that was making them nuts.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,383 times
Quote:
I don't plan on adopting a dog any time soon, I still have my 15-year-old Shepherd mix and she's not keen on having other dogs around too much (she's okay with my mom's dogs and my brother's dog). I think it's just her age and weakness, she feels vulnerable (and she seems to dislike change now that she's older too).

Anyway, I always figured if and when the time comes and I ever get another dog, I'd get one that is at least 3-5 years old. My reasoning being I want a dog that's out of the crazy puppy years, but still young enough to do things with (I really miss hiking and running with my dog, she just can't do it any more--she's fragile like an elderly old lady). But I started to wonder about that--if I should rule out puppies all together.

My dog is super... very well trained, no behavior problems, no psychological issues. She gets along great with kids, other animals, and is generally a "good dog." She has her "Canine Good Citizen" certification. I got her as a three month-old puppy and training her was easy (had her house broken in two weeks... all it took was a little positive reinforcement and she got it). Growing up my dogs were the same, very good, well trained, no issues. Again, we got those dogs as puppies.

My mom has two older rescues with what I can best all "mental issues" with extreme fear for one and dog aggression in the other. Her one dog hides in it's kennel most of the time and the other, while friend towards people, is dog aggressive. My brother's dog is a rescue too and also has extreme fear issues. And I had a stray/feral dog I took years ago in and tamed and trained... she was 6 months old when I got her and a lot of work and was never really 100% (although she also earn AKC Canine Good Citizen).

So here's my question. What are your experiences with shelter dogs as puppies and adults? While my experience is telling me older rescue dogs often have issues, I don't know if that's really true or just my limited experience. I am only talking about three dogs here that were older rescues (I am not counting my 6-month old dog... she was a weird case. Originally they weren't even going to adopt her, just put her down because she was "too feral"). So I would like to hear from others who adopted (or had dogs since their were puppies).

It's just something I want to consider when I do get my next dog--I've always been ruling out getting a puppy and now I am wondering if I should reconsider. Either way, whatever dog I get will be a shelter dog (it's where I always get my pets).
My sister bought her dogs: a rottie and 2 yorkies. I adopted my dogs as young as 1 and oldest at 3 years.

The difference is small, but my sister's dogs never had separation anxiety or phobias. My dogs did and still do.

Raised from puppies, my sister's dogs would follow anyone who passed by them. My dogs like people but when my older one gets hurt or scared, she runs to me.

Crate training was easier with my sister's dogs. My dogs, no matter times we tried, will not agree, so we built a small gate in an area of the house to keep them there.

In light of their flaws, I love them and have no regret. They push me to learn, to be patient and to do better for them. When I see them improve... pebbles knows what toys are...mushu learns to rest her head on my lap...and my adult cat trust me to pick up him while he is afraid...you really do feel that special bond.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I got my first dog Maddie off death row at the shelter , she was 4 and walked right into my life as if she had always been in it. She was great had no behavioral issues.

Jazz as a young puppy from a rescue very difficult puppy had fear aggression issues toward other dogs evehttps://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gifn when I got her but despite them she went on to become a fantastic dog,

Dash was 1 yr old came from the local humane society had a few aggression issues when I got him but due to his love of food they were easy to fix using treats as rewards. He bonded to me very fast and once the aggression issues were gone I never saw any aggression from him again and trusted him with all dogs, cats, and people. He really became a lover boy. Oh yeah he did have a submissive urination issue but that was easy to fix too.

Phoenix I got at 2 yrs from the local humane society, She born deaf with limited vision and was very very shy but once she got to know someone they were friends for life. She was very smart and very very sweet as despite her fear she never had any aggression issues. The vets LOVED her.

Dazzle came from a breeder he was 8 months only issues was he was homesick for a few days as it took him some time to settle in but then again he had old Lady Jazz threaten him on his first day and she could be pretty intimidating to other dogs until she decided they were OK. He had lived with about 14 other Silken Windhounds at his breeders and did not really know what other breeds were so at first he was afraid of all those strange looking dogs. Now he loves to meet new dogs.

Chaos I got at 12 weeks from a Texas shelter so she and I flew home to CA. She was the easiest puppy. She was a little needy, still is and she and Dazzle are both major drama queens.

All the dogs did obedience classes and did great in them and house training was easy with all of them. I do not feel the two that started out as young puppies were any more bonded to me then the adults. After that first puppy I always said I would never get another young puppy again but when I saw the photo of a puppy in a high kill shelter in Texas it screamed "my dog" and thank God she was easy! So I actually do prefer the adults and would be willing to take in a senior dog too as there is something about old dogs that just grabs at my heart strings. When I spent a week at Best Friends the old dog's there were my favorites as they were so sweet and it was so sad to see seniors end up homeless.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 PM

491 posts, read 402,763 times
My rescue is a Labradoodle, he was about 4 months when I got him from an all-breed rescue organization. He's a little over a year now. He has some shyness around men but does very well with women. He loves other dogs, big and small. Not fond of toddlers/ small children, but I'm not either so it works out ok.

One thing that was unusual about him and different from any other dog I've ever had is that he absolutely would not crate train. When I would put him in his crate to leave the house for an hour or two, he would wail, make a terrible noise like I've never heard from a dog. I've crate trained all my dogs, I've had nearly two dozen dogs in my life. He was able to get out of several kinds of crates. Within two weeks, i had given up crate training - he was house trained, and was not a destructive chewer. He goes to doggie daycare (crate-free) on my long days but does fine in the house for half a day on his own, the dog walker comes by and takes him out.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
Kona was a puppy from the shelter, she had no issues except for the normal puppy ones of chewing and destruction.

Sophie was a shelter pup too at about 10 months and severely abused, she took years of work but in hindsight I should have hired a trainer and things would have been much easier. She was a great dog, eventually.

When she passed away at 12 we went to the shelters to look at younger dogs but they didn't fit our current lifestyle, too many hours at work and impending move, new furniture... We found Britty a 12 year old Lab/GSD mix who was dumped at the shelter for a UTI. She is amazing, well trained, no issues, can be home all day without a problem but still loves to hike and play. We know we won't have her forever, but she's happy and we are too.

So, point is there are all sorts of dogs at the shelter, you'll find the one that speaks to you and fits your life at the time.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Kona was a puppy from the shelter, she had no issues except for the normal puppy ones of chewing and destruction.

Sophie was a shelter pup too at about 10 months and severely abused, she took years of work but in hindsight I should have hired a trainer and things would have been much easier. She was a great dog, eventually.

When she passed away at 12 we went to the shelters to look at younger dogs but they didn't fit our current lifestyle, too many hours at work and impending move, new furniture... We found Britty a 12 year old Lab/GSD mix who was dumped at the shelter for a UTI. She is amazing, well trained, no issues, can be home all day without a problem but still loves to hike and play. We know we won't have her forever, but she's happy and we are too.

So, point is there are all sorts of dogs at the shelter, you'll find the one that speaks to you and fits your life at the time.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking too (and what I am seeing with people's stories here). Seems like it's a mixed bag, puppy doesn't always equal no issues/no difficulties and adult dog doesn't always have to have issues. I was wondering because, like I said, my experiencing is so limited to the dogs my mom and brother got and their dogs have "severe" issues (one of my mom's dogs never leaves it's crate... unless you call it out and even then it's only for a few minutes before it runs and hides again. It was severely abused though. The dog likes me though. My brother's dog is similar, always hiding (and running away when it can). He used to have another dog too (just died) that I found as a year-old puppy for him. Bought her from people who had her chained to a post in a yard when it got too rambunctious for the house. Offered them what they paid for her as a puppy and they took it. That dog LOVED me.

Just something interesting to think about. Maybe what I should do whenever the time comes where I am ready for a new dog is just go to the shelter and tell them, "hey, I am looking for a dog. Here's my lifestyle and here's my experience with dogs. Have any recommendations?" When I think of it, that's exactly how I got my cat back in the day (this was a long time ago) and it worked out perfect. That cat was the best match for me feline-wise (and I am not a cat person. I just wanted a pet and the only reason I went cat was the apartment didn't allow dogs. Had that cat form 7-years-old to almost 18-years-old before cancer took him).

My other consideration might be adopting a bonded pair. That feral dog I mentioned... I had her the same time as my current dog. I think the main reason I was able to "tame" her and then train her was because she followed my current dog and used her to learn how to act. The feral one was bigger and died of some liver problem the vet could never pin-point at age 13ish. But my two dogs were attached at the hip. I always liked that they had each other--especially when I would go out of town on a trip and leave them in the house (have a pet sitter who comes). I knew they weren't lonely.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
While my experience is telling me older rescue dogs often have issues, I don't know if that's really true or just my limited experience.
My experience in volunteering at a shelter is that age is not a factor in "problem dogs". A lot of the older dogs we get are because someone is moving to a location that does not allow dogs, their owner died or no longer can for them, etc.

Good luck with a puppy! For me, they are nice to visit with, but I could never adopt one. My next one will hopefully be ~ 1-2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs