Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
RESCUES STINK!! They rip people off get their hopes & dreams up just to kick you in the teeth! I Never contact a Rescue again!
So don't talk about how much they have into these dogs I Don't believe it!
Here is just one example of a dog that has required lots of time and effort. His adoption fee is $250...not even remotely close to what's been spent on him due to his lengthy time in foster based on his puppy mill-associated behavioral issues. MARS is a fabulous rescue group...well organized, reasonable applications/fees, devoted volunteers who care about their dogs and are motivated to find them forever homes. THIS is organized rescue. Don't generalize the crappy ones to all organized rescue. That is as unfair and biased as considering all young black men criminals...would you do that?

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/32842904/

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

107 posts, read 152,064 times
Around here, $250 is standard for a rescue to charge to adopt a dog. I am happy to pay it to a reputable rescue regardless of the amount that the dog I am adopting "cost" them in vet fees, microchipping, spay/neutering, food, vaccines, etc; because it is actually considered a donation and goes toward helping not only the dog I am personally adopting, but others as well. In fact, I HOPE that they can use some of the money from that $250 fee to care for other dogs and get them any vet care that they need before adopting them out.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
On many applications they ask for medical history. Some require written references from doctors, neighbors, vets, and who know what else. It is ludicrous.
Asking for a potential adopter's personal medical history is ludicrous.

References from the adopter's vet and personal references (non-family friends) are standard practice and reasonable. How else is the rescue to have any chance at identifying the pet owner who euthanizes his/her dog for behavior that can be trained/managed or who does not follow minimum standard veterinary protocols for pet care? The pet owner who is in the market to try another dog because the first one didn't work out so they had to get rid of it?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
You should've lied and just agreed to buy Blue Buffalo. Arguing with hard headed idiots gets you nowhere, especially from a field where it is common to find tunnel vision people. They were looking for an excuse to not let you adopt. Once you get the dog, it's your responsibility to feed him whatever you deem fit, not theirs. If they try to take the dog back because of alleged breach of contract, trust me, no judges in their right mind will agree with them.
I Did 1st thing I said was Where can I buy BB I never seen it sold in my area...who sell it? Never answered! I even asked if they sold it in Richmond VA where we were meeting I would buy a bag there!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
$250 is standard here. Adoption fee includes Spay or Neuter, shots, worming, a vet check, and some level of assessment of the dogs personality and temperament.

Spay or Neuter runs just under $100 if subsidized through the state and $300 or more private practice.
Shots run $20 for the shots (3 rounds - $60).
Worming is about $5-$10 depending on the brand, type of wormer and size of the dog.
Vet check up runs $60 and up

so I am at $225 costs assuming best case at each step. Now if the dog eats during the week...

I think it is a cheap price for the services provided, even at $250.
Forgot to include the micro chipping - another $25. They are losing money on most adoptions at $250.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
That is just outrageous an adoption fee of 250.00 . I'm sorry but I have had it with these rescues . I mean really they should be kissing peoples butts to adopt these dogs . I mean they know that these dogs will have a home with adopters and yet they want to charge these outrageous fees and then they complain that they are full and have no room .. Um excuse me but maybe if you would not charge that much money , then maybe you might be able to help more dogs and you would not be so full . I can understand charging a fee but 250.00 ? that is a mighty high price to me . I'm sorry for ranting but I m done with these rescues from here out I will be checking with family members and seeing if my friends know of anybody . I really think that these shelters need to be regulated with their fees and how they operate and their stupid rules too . My cousin got told about 6 months ago that she could not adopt a dog because she has diabetes and might die and leave the dog alone !!! Have any of you been given stupid reasons for not being approved by a rescue ? I think so far my cousin 's one takes the cake .

$250 is not much considering the costs associated with medical care, feeding, training, spaying/neutering, shots. Rescues all lose money, at least all I've volunteered for in the last 30 years. And for you to say rescues should be "kissing peoples butts to adopt these dogs" is pretty selfish. Rescuing a pet includes rescues, volunteers in partnership with the community, and the adopters. It is a group effort to do a good thing for the unwanted animals who need a good home.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
On many applications they ask for medical history. Some require written references from doctors, neighbors, vets, and who know what else. It is ludicrous.
Would you please post links to just 2 or 3 of the many applications that ask for such info. I have never seen one that asks more than "Is anyone in your household allergic to animals?". I ask because several years ago, when my little group wanted to revise and update our application I spent some time looking at applications from both nearby and far away groups, big and small and never ran across any that wanted medical info beyond allergies. Most do require a vet reference and a couple of personal references who know what kind of owner you have been.

Rescues want to know that they are making a permanent placement since many have a policy of taking a dog or cat back if the adoptee can no longer keep the animal for any reason. One of my personal dogs, adopted last fall, is one that was adopted out as a puppy and returned when he was 7.5 years old because they had a baby.

At my local convenience store I saw an ad in the window a few months ago for "Full Blooded Australain Shepards" (his spelling) $350.00 - I called and no they had no vetting, not even basic deworming with Nemex, no shots, etc. I guess he couldn't sell them all because 2 of them wound up at the local pound when they were about 4 months old.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Let's all calm down. The bottom line seems to be that there are good and bad in everything. I have been burned by an overzealous rescue person, and so, apparently, have many others.
If you are a rescue person, read and learn, because many of us will never deal with you again.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
do some homework before you pay big bucks for a "rescue", and before you donate your hard earned money to one.

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

you might be surprised to see how NOT poor some of these groups are. Many have become well paying businesses.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let's all calm down. The bottom line seems to be that there are good and bad in everything. I have been burned by an overzealous rescue person, and so, apparently, have many others.
If you are a rescue person, read and learn, because many of us will never deal with you again.
I don't know that many others have been burned. Certainly at least a good number of C-D posters have been. But C-D is not at all representative of the general population. Anyone who has spent much time on the forums has discovered that.

How about this instead: If you are looking for a canine companion, read and learn, so that you know to do your research and work with a *reputable* rescue, shelter or breeder? Like you would for any other important purchase?

Your post is so frustrating since you, like some others posting on this thread and even though you admit "there are good and bad in everything", seem to lump all rescue people together when you suggest they "read and learn, because many of us will never deal with you again." Grrrrr! Believe me, the reputable rescues already know all this crap and hate what it is doing to their cause. And the disreputable rescues don't care to "read and learn" because they either have an animal rights leaning agenda or they are in it for the money. Hello?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs