Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,697,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
And yes just as I suspected the above poster jumpindogs works for a rescue . there it is folks .
So, let me get this straight, if someone has worked/volunteered for a shelter or rescue, in your mind their points aren't valid? Interesting way to have a "discussion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Face Value! WOW You cant have it both ways! To get to Dogs off the streets & into homes the Pupulation Has to go down! Telling people its ok to wait Does Not help! But then You Want more pups so you can in the name of Rescue Make money off them! You either encourage s/n or you let the world keep being over run with unwanted dogs. There no Both!
I cannot for the life of me follow your train of thought and the concept that rescue's make money is absolutely laughable. You should see all the rich board of directors and staff drinking Dom Pérignon and eating caviar while they sell needy pets for huge profits. Oh wait, that's right. It doesn't happen. Non profit work pays squat and most "profit" if any, goes into outreach programs (like spaying, neutering and vaccinating pets that come from low income households). Have you ever considered volunteering at a shelter or rescue?

Last edited by Eazine; 08-05-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Face Value! WOW You cant have it both ways! To get to Dogs off the streets & into homes the Pupulation Has to go down! Telling people its ok to wait Does Not help! But then You Want more pups so you can in the name of Rescue Make money off them! You either encourage s/n or you let the world keep being over run with unwanted dogs. There no Both!
<sigh>

Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61
And yes just as I suspected the above poster jumpindogs works for a rescue . there it is folks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
So, let me get this straight, if someone has worked/volunteered for a shelter or rescue, in your mind their points aren't valid? Interesting way to have a "discussion".
Thank you, Eazine, for making the point that I should have.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:22 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,181,858 times
my point is they are biased when it comes to rescues . I have never seen a rescue that did not exclude someone for a ridiculous reason . I also have a problem with rescues going into the shelters and pulling all the pure breeds out so that the general public cannot take them for the shelter price . Don't believe it happens , I have been told by a lady who works for a rescue it does happen . So yes the point I was making is that most people who defend rescues are either working for them or do something for the rescue and therefore will defend them because they don't want to think that they are working for a bad organization .

Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,753 times
To iterate what others have already said (and what I have said previously in other threads), I will add my 2 cents.

Reputable rescues are not making money. If you don't- or can't- understand that the financial cost of shelter, veterinary bills, food, training, foster care, towels/grooming/bedding, and other miscellaneous expenses far outweigh the piddly $250 or so that you pay for a dog that is fully vetted, then I don't know what to say. Prices vary by location and type of rescue- it can be higher for a breed specific rescue.

Not every dog is right for every home. The reason that some rescues want to match the dog to the prospective adopter is because they know their dogs, and aren't making an emotional "I must have Fluffy' type of decision. They will match what you say you want to the dog's temperament, activity level, and personality.

It isn't about YOU- the adopter- it is about getting the dog into a good home. We don't know the particulars of each situation where an adoption was denied. There may or may not have been a good reason why that particular dog wasn't a good fit for that household. The overriding concern should always be for the dog's welfare. You the human should hopefully be able to understand that.

It is natural to feel hurt or put off when you are denied an adoption. It is NOT logical to draw the conclusion that the broader population has had the same experience you have had or feels the same way you feel. As with many situations, those who are dissatisfied or who haven't gotten what they wanted are the most vocal. For everyone that has had a bad experience with a rescue, there are many many more who have ended up with a wonderful family pet.

It is fine to feel hurt, angry, or slighted when denied an adoption. It is however unconscionable to speak out in such a way as to apply your experience with one or two rescues to rescues in general with the apparent intention of turning people against rescue. IF you love dogs, THEN it is irrational to speak out against the very people and organizations who are working to help dogs find good loving homes. If you have had a bad experience with a rescue, then fine, let's talk about that particular situation- with the understanding that we only have your side of the experience, and don't know the rescue's reasons for the denial. If you have had a bad experience with multiple rescues, then I would respectfully suggest that you consider educating yourself on what constitutes a loving responsible owner.

Sure, anybody can buy a dog. Those of you who choose to do so need to do your homework and be an informed consumer. How many litters does the breeder have every year? How many dogs does the breeder have in their household/kennel? Are the parents on site? What sort of early conditioning/training does the breeder do in the first 8 weeks? Do you need to be put on a waiting list for the next litter? Did the breeder choose the pup for you or were you able to walk into the breeder's home, point, and say I want that one? If you are supporting- i.e. buying- a dog from a less than reputable breeder then YOU are supporting the pet overpopulation problem.

When I adopted my last dog- a 2 year old border collie- from a breed specific rescue, I went through the whole adoption process. It was truly a completely painless process. I had nothing to hide. I had no problems with the questionnaire. I had nothing to hide. We did the home inspection- they looked at my house, yard, watched how I interacted with my dogs. They interestingly picked up and commented on one thing I did- when I went to bring my dogs out for them to meet the two inspectors I told each of my dogs to "leave" the bully stick they each had and took each bully stick from my respective dogs. This was a routine interaction in my household, but it told the inspectors that I had spent the time working with my dogs to be able to do a casual "leave" and take away their chew. They both commented on that and on how I interacted with my dogs. My point is that an experienced dog person KNOWS a good home, and even if a potential adopter doesn't interview well, we know a good home when we see it. The interviewer/inspector picks up on the "little" things like being able to take something of value away from a dog and having the dog willingly relinquish it.

Are there bad or poorly run rescues? Sure, absolutely. However, being denied an adoption doesn't make that rescue a bad rescue. Those of you who are so vocal about your bad experiences with "bad" rescues may wish to consider that your experience isn't necessarily representative of the experience had by the greater population of adopters. As well, when you speak against rescues in general you do an enormous disservice to the dogs waiting for a home. In the long run, where you adopt from doesn't really matter, whether from a municipal shelter or a rescue, you are still giving a dog a home. It DOES matter where you buy a dog from, and if you don't purchase a dog from a responsible reputable breeder you are contributing to the overpopulation problem. Whether you adopt or buy you need to do your research and be in informed consumer.

Rescues- whether run by your average dog lover or someone with more extensive experience- are run by PEOPLE. As such, they are subject to the same human frailties as the general population. They can only work with what is in front of them- they can't read minds and they aren't prescient. After reviewing the questionnaire, doing the initial interview, and the home visit, it is all a judgment call, and yes they make some bad calls, both ways. Sometimes dogs get adopted out to bad homes and sometimes good people are denied adoptions. This is part of life; it is irrational to hold people who work in rescue to higher standards- they are just ordinary people like you and me trying to do good things, and making the best decision they can with the information they have.

I don't see any contradiction in Jumpindogs' posts. I do see people with their own agenda who aren't clearly reading or understanding the individual post or the broader scope of what she is saying. This subject of good/bad/rescue/adopt/buy has been gone over ad nauseum. We each have the right to our opinion, but not all opinions are equal, and those of us who are stuck in seeing things only one way are depriving ourselves of information that can improve not only our lives but the lives of our existing dogs and any prospective dogs.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 08-06-2015 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,986,272 times
And now, enough has been said. Remember you can't see deleted posts.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs