Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM

171 posts, read 193,966 times

Advertisements

Our Boston terriers was smelling like fish. The vet said his anal glands were full and drained them. He smelled fine after that and now a few week later they smell again. Is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
For some dogs, yes. We had one that had to get hers done about every three weeks or they got impacted. The vet tech suggested we learn how to do it ourselves to save money. I just kept whipping out the checkbook.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
I give my dog a high fiber diet. It helps to expel the glands naturally when he has a fully formed bowel movement.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Our GSD fits this description. We have to take her in every 2-3 months vet suggested pumpkin mixed with her food..i don't think it helped...just made her gain lbs.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,156 times
My dog had the same problem a few months ago. Fishy smell, lots of licking, restlessness...

My vet said that unless you treat the cause, the problem will return. And the more you manually express it, the more it impacts.

Did you recently change his diet? Did you go from dry food to canned or different brand? Our dog was impacted because we changed her food to Natural Balance canned food.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Likely infection and needs an anal sac "infusion" with clindamycin. My 2yr old Boston has had the same problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM

231 posts, read 236,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
Our Boston terriers was smelling like fish. The vet said his anal glands were full and drained them. He smelled fine after that and now a few week later they smell again. Is that normal?

My girl had to go every month.
When she got to be around 13,she just dried up. Lived until she was 15.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Our GSD fits this description. We have to take her in every 2-3 months vet suggested pumpkin mixed with her food..i don't think it helped...just made her gain lbs.
When you add plain canned pumpkin...never the canned pumpkin pie filling...you must also decrease the amount of regular food you are giving in order to avoid weight gain. Too bad your vet didn't explain that.

Canned pumpkin in place of a portion of the regular meal is used successfully by dog sports competitors to keep dogs who tend to gain weight feeling full yet physically trim.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
It the sacs get to be a chronic problem, they can be removed. I can give you a link to read about a Boston Terrier on a breed specific forum I frequent who underwent this surgery.

In the meantime, fiber is important to keep things moving. Personally, I mix up a sweet potato, carrot and apple mash to use as a kibble topper. Just a small spoonful daily works for my Bostons and Frenchie.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
It the sacs get to be a chronic problem, they can be removed. I can give you a link to read about a Boston Terrier on a breed specific forum I frequent who underwent this surgery.

In the meantime, fiber is important to keep things moving. Personally, I mix up a sweet potato, carrot and apple mash to use as a kibble topper. Just a small spoonful daily works for my Bostons and Frenchie.
It's a very complicated procedure, and if the wrong nerve gets severed it can lead to incontinence. I would certainly try the clindamycin infusion first (ClinzGard NS).

http://www.trilogicpharma.com/forms/...inzGard_NS.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs