Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,182,287 times

Advertisements

Okay, I already posted this in the "Florida" section, but I haven't gotten a single response. So, I figured I'd try in "Dogs"...

Just recently, while at the vet with one of my APBTs (Jayda), I heard from a vet tech who also owns APBTs that Flagler county may be about to ban "pit bulls" (American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers) and Rottweilers. Then I heard, from a different vet tech, that Flagler county is changing the dangerous dog laws, or something, to some one bite thing for "pit bulls" and Rottweilers? Neither of them went into any detail, so I was trying to find some info online. My husband and I live in Flagler county (Palm Coast, FL) and we own three APBTs, so we need to know if we need to start looking for homes outside of Flagler county. I can't seem to find anything about any of this though! Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had heard about this, or if anyone knows of a website that would be helpful? Thanks for any help!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,434,816 times
Call City Hall (or County Council) and see which one is trying to do it. Browse all my BSL threads for help too.
Also, get a group of nice "dangerous dog" owners to go to their meetings to protest. Make sure you mention discrimination and profileing, they dont like that. Be LOUD.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Also get statistics from Denver, how theyve killed dogs that are not on their BSL list. Mention how they are currently being sued. Also mention Baton Rouge in Louisiana, they where threatened with a law suit and they (City Council) back down.

Look at the UK's BSL. Dog bites have not gone down one bit. Also, get the dog temprement test post I posted a while back. Thatll show theyre less likely to bite, then get the dog pressure bite stats you showed here, that shows they cant bite as hard as these people think.
Ask City Hall or whoever for a copy of the ordinacne, they have to give it to ya. They may charge but its worth it. WHen it goes to Council, if you protest they have to put it in the paper for another 30 days so everybody can find out (least they do in NM) which buys you time. See if you can get a copy and post it here for me (us) to read.

You can also do a march on city hall with your dogs too.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Also, contact your state Pitbull Group, there is usually one.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,565,299 times
I try and keep track on this website: Punish the Deed, not the Breed!. I am not sure how frequent they update their information, but they post as much info and the status of each location they get word something going on. You might even try and contact them as well. Sometimes, the moderators can give you some attention to that.

Once you spread word of this to other owners like yourself, you should be able to get a significant amount of help finding out more information. The more you ask, the more the word spreads, and someone always knows someone else in the system that might have connections.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,182,287 times
Thanks Brian and deegers! I'm not sure what exactly s going on, or if there even is anything going on. Both vet techs said something different, neither of them went into any detail and I haven't heard anything about this until then. I looked around online for a while and I couldn't find anything at all about this. We are going to be moving out of Palm Coast, and Flagler county, around next August, so as long as nothing happens before then we are really okay, but I still don't want any form of BSL to be passed, you know? If Flagler county or Palm Coast enacts BSL then Volusia county (Daytona, Deland, etc), St. Johns county (St. Augustine), etc, etc could be next. We all know that as soon as one city or county enacts some form of BSL another one will and then another and another! I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'll definitely keep everyone updated, and thanks again!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Go directly to the lawmakers. They have to tell you if its true or not. Ask for the proposed ordinance. You may have to pay though as I said. It is possible to delay a law till August.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,916,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Call City Hall (or County Council) and see which one is trying to do it. Browse all my BSL threads for help too.
Also, get a group of nice "dangerous dog" owners to go to their meetings to protest. Make sure you mention discrimination and profileing, they dont like that. Be LOUD.

Very good advice. And they (City Hall) do get all nervous when the topics discrimination and profiling are brought up. It's fun to watch them squirm.
If anyone has a voice and owns a "vicious" breed up for BSL, being LOUD and protesting is a requirement!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM

575 posts, read 3,697,732 times
They just had a Flagler county meeting and nowhere do I see this spoken about http://www.flaglercounty.org/agendas/BCC_20071119RM.pdf (broken link)
---------
http://health.flaglercounty.org/epigram.pdf (broken link)

I also believe I saw different county information (one of the links to something else off this page which pertained to different counties) Dangerous and Vicious Dogs List

and Charlotte county Charlotte County Dangerous Dogs

No where do I see any legislation pending though it could be?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,507,990 times
I don't know about Flagler, PitBullMommie, but there's no talk of it at all here in Duval/Clay/St John's.

I certainly hope it is not happening in Flagler, but at least for your own dogs, you should be fine come August.

For what it's worth, I do not even let my vet list a breed on my dogs medical records - everyone is listed as "mutt". Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs