Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 PM

12 posts, read 22,545 times

Advertisements

I'm out on my evening walk. Suddenly a German Shepherd rushes toward me. I yell at his owner, who sits on the steps leading up to her apartment to call her dog back before it gets to me. (We're in a dog-friendly community). I told her to call him back and get a leash. She was careless and made rude remarks.

Before it was over, she coaxed the dog to attack me. She kept saying 'get her!' over and over. The poor dog was confused but was trying to learn to attack, it seemed. He was fairly young, but still big enough to do damage, so I was frightened. I called the police and pulled out the pepper spray and told her that I did not want to harm the dog, so pleaded for her to call it off. She instead got up and ran toward me still coaxing the dog to attack me. I shielded myself between a panel of a partial fence and some bushes. She came up to me in attack mode and continued to coax the dog to attack. I was still on the phone with the police and was quite frightened. I didn't want to hurt anyone but when they came within two feet of me I sprayed pepper spray near the dog. She was hoping the dog would attack but I think he was too young. So she started to fight me, and I sprayed her in the face. It was the first time I sprayed this pepper spray (or mace I have no idea) but it was foamy and it stopped her and made her turn away. I got her in the nick of time before. Because if she started in on me there is little doubt the dog would have taken up for its owner. She scurried back up the stairs and called her dog to come with.

The police arrived and I explained everything.

Now that I've had a chance to gather myself, I realize she was trying to train the dog to attack. The dog was young and learning. She put the dog into harms way. I'm glad I didn't spray the dog but I sprayed her instead. The dog was taking in instruction from her.

So tomorrow I will talk with the head of animal control about this issue.

Does anyone agree that it was not the dog's fault but the owner? And the owner should not be allowed to have a dog that she intentionally puts into harms way like this?

I have many many witnesses when they pinned me between the fence and the bushes. There was nowhere else for me to go for cover.

The woman, by the way appeared inebriated or half asleep. I couldn't tell, but she seemed pretty reckless and she was around 50 years of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,576,209 times
No, this certainly wasn't the dog's fault and you are lucky to have had the pepper spray with you. I don't blame you ONE little bit for spraying that woman in the face. That poor dog was confused. Obviously, attacking people isn't his nature.

The sad thing about this situation is, is that the woman is going to continue to encourage her dog to attack. Animal control probably can't do a thing unless the dog actually attacks someone. Once it does, in all likeliness, he will be put down because of the owner's stupidity.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:23 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,579,951 times
I agree with gouligan. What a horrible thing to do to you. And the poor dog will end up dead thanks to her strange and uncalled for behavior.
Wow, you just can't fix stupid.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,157,898 times
the police should have done their job and put her in jail and called animal control to come pick up the dog and hopefully the dog will never learn to attack so she will get rid of him and he will have a chance to be in a good home with good people . That woman should have been taken into custody and delivered to the jail . You need to be very careful that she does not come after you again . I hope the poor dog gets into a better home . I fear for you and this poor dog . If I were you I would press charges for assault and battery and have her locked up but since the police did not seem to want to do their job it seems little will be done to this woman . You need to keep up your guard .

Old 09-09-2015, 06:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,996,846 times
So what did the police do? What was their response?
I would go down to the police station and speak directly with the person in charge of the case, be very clear that you are following up on what happened, and want to know what action was taken to ensure that you and this woman's dog are safe.
I would also speak directly with animal control and again be very clear about what happened, what the police response was, and your concern for both you and this dog.
I don't hold out a lot of hope for this dog's future if it stays with this lunatic woman, but you need at least to get this situation on the record with both the police and animal control.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,434,982 times
What a horrible story! Please let us know how this pans out. I feel sorry for the dog (and for you, of course), and I hope that poor animal is taken away from that whacky woman.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 AM

3,607 posts, read 9,082,099 times
She is a horrible person and deserves to be arrested. I'm so sorry you went through that.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,157,898 times
I still cannot fathom why she was not arrested unless this is a very small town and she is related in some way to law enforcement and anyone who says that does not happen ,has never lived in a small town . I did live in a small town and we had a lunatic neighbor who was always causing trouble but because she was a cousin of the police chief nothing was done and if you pressed charges the sheriff would be pulling you over constantly for causing trouble with the pcs cousin or whoever . Happily I got the he*l out of that town and never looked back . Crooked , crooked , crooked . OP I hope you get some satisfaction out of the police station that you seriously need to go to and press charges against this woman .

Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,434,309 times
I think you did the right thing and it was the owners fault.

What did the police do? You don't explain that part.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,283,993 times
It's not the dog's fault. If it wants to hurt you, you would be getting stitches that night.

I don't know how you spoke to the owner when you asked her to get the leash. Some people, especially the drunk ones, are not stable in the mind to begin with. I had a similar confrontation in my neighborhood a year ago.

I was walking my dog on our usual route, on the sidewalk. We were allowed to use the grass (common areas) as poopie areas as long as we pick up the poop. A woman in her late 40's came out ofa nearby house, walking towards me. She was in her pajamas, red eyes, messy hair, smells like beer and didn't seem all there. Yells at me that I am on her property. I replied calmly no, not according to our HOA, and I was nowhere near her house. She took a few steps forward and my dog charged at her. Luckily I had Pebbles on a leash and I told her to sit/stay. The lady backed away and continues to ramble on how the sidewalk belongs to her too. I just walked away from her knowing that you can't argue with a drunk.

Next time, if the dog charged at you, don't move. Don't make any loud sounds. Back away slowly while you dial 911. Get on top of someone's car trunk if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs