Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:14 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,717,424 times

Advertisements

I recently lost a wonderful mini schnauzer to mast cell tumors. A few weeks later someone who knew my situation asked me if I was interested in getting another mini schnauzer out of a bad situation. I met the dog and couldn't resist her. I rescued her. She is a 3 year old female mini schnauzer. When I picked her up she was very ill and I took her straight the my vet. After a week of meds she was doing much better. While she was sick she would do her business outside whenever I took her out. Mostly peed but pooed too. Now the diarrhea is gone, she is on a great diet, and she seems well adjusted to her new home. When she was better I took her to a local park where many dogs frequent. She acted like she had never been to a place like this and she marked until she ran out of body fluids. Now when I take her out at home she almost never pees or poops. She has also pooped in the house twice recently because I was busy and did not see or read her actions. This was after she had ample time to go outside. It almost seems like she is holding her waste in because she thinks she is going to the park where she can mark

This is now the third mini schnauzer I have owned. The first two were males, very easy to house train, and with very few accidents through out their lives. This is my first female.
In the past few days I have tried to give her a treat when she does relieve herself around the house. The thing is she goes so few times I think the reward treat isn't working.

BTW, this dog is very smart and has learned a lot in the short time I have had her. (I did not try train her when she was ill).

Comments appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 PM

13,942 posts, read 39,470,645 times
Time to start with Basic House Training. She most likely Not been train at ALL! Feed her reg Take her out Reg when she goes Praise her. When you cant watch her Every Second Crate her!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,487 times
I highly doubt your dog is holding it in waiting to relieve herself at the park. Dogs don't think like that.

Dogs like to pee and poop where they can smell other dogs have frequented. It's like leave behind their own business card - That's one indirect way they get to know who is who in the area. When she was peeing a lot at the park, that was her nervous way of saying: "I'm here. This is my playground too. Here is my information." Although she is not waiting to relieve herself at the park, she may have grown uncomfortable doing it where there are no other dogs but herself. You just have to start potty training over again. A nice, long walk after a meal helps them poop and pee. Take her outside of your yard and around the neighborhood should encourage her to do her business.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I recently lost a wonderful mini schnauzer to mast cell tumors. A few weeks later someone who knew my situation asked me if I was interested in getting another mini schnauzer out of a bad situation. I met the dog and couldn't resist her. I rescued her. She is a 3 year old female mini schnauzer. When I picked her up she was very ill and I took her straight the my vet. After a week of meds she was doing much better. While she was sick she would do her business outside whenever I took her out. Mostly peed but pooed too. Now the diarrhea is gone, she is on a great diet, and she seems well adjusted to her new home. When she was better I took her to a local park where many dogs frequent. She acted like she had never been to a place like this and she marked until she ran out of body fluids. Now when I take her out at home she almost never pees or poops. She has also pooped in the house twice recently because I was busy and did not see or read her actions. This was after she had ample time to go outside. It almost seems like she is holding her waste in because she thinks she is going to the park where she can mark

This is now the third mini schnauzer I have owned. The first two were males, very easy to house train, and with very few accidents through out their lives. This is my first female.
In the past few days I have tried to give her a treat when she does relieve herself around the house. The thing is she goes so few times I think the reward treat isn't working.

BTW, this dog is very smart and has learned a lot in the short time I have had her. (I did not try train her when she was ill).

Comments appreciated, thanks.
I don't think so. She marked a lot at the park because there were a lot of dog scents there.

Her issues at the house I don't think have anything to do with that. You need to go back to basic housebreaking and retrain her. Go outside with her and make sure she goes when she's out there. Sometimes they get busy sniffing etc outside and don't go potty. You need to watch her VERY closely until you're sure she understands. It's not uncommon to have housebreaking regression in a new home. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the posts.

I learned that this dog was on a farm and chained for almost two years and then sold to the person I got her from. I was told she was housebroken and when I first brought her to my home she did not make any mistakes. However when I got her she was very sick. I took her to my vet and given Flagyl and probiotics and she slowly got better. Her stool was normal and her energy returned. Now when I take her out around my house, (no dogs in the area), she sniffs and smells. As time as progressed this seems to have gotten more pronounced.

Yesterday she was out many times and ate normally and at the same times. She was fed at 5pm. I expect most dogs will have a BM in two hours or so. Two hours later I walked her and she sniffed and smelled and did nothing. Two hours after that same thing, and two hours later the same thing. I went to bed, (dog has her own bed in my bedroom), and when I got up this morning there was a pile on the bedroom floor.

I usually get dogs as pups and have trained several. I do know how to house train and dog. However I have never run into this problem where a dog will sniff and smell for the entire time they are outside. The dog cannot be rewarded because they don't go where they should be going. Last night she went when I was asleep. The only option seems to be keep her crated. However I know of one person who tried this and the end result was the dog kept the crate clean but still went in the house. The second problem with this dog is that she reacts very badly to being crated. No idea why except she may have been mistreated while in a crate. (One major problem with rescues is that the rescuer has little to no idea what the dog's past was making it very difficult to correct problems).

This is my first rescue dog and I am frustrated over this because I don't like keeping dogs outside. I believe dogs are pack animals and need the closeness of the pack.
If you have any idea how to correct this behavior please post, thanks.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,042,335 times
I might get flamed for this comment, but I have found that a very simple way to housebreak dogs is simply to keep them outside a great deal until they learn to use the potty outside. When you see her potty outdoors, praise her. Also, don't rely on the treats too much. Dogs respond to your verbal praise and hugs just as much. They love pleasing their owners, and it doesn't have to be through food, especially since too many treats can lead to obesity. Keeping her outdoors while potty training works great because since outside is their only place to use the potty, they get used to that. Bring her in when you can watch her carefully, and when you can't, keep her outside. After she's trained, you can keep her inside all the time. I used to be a big fan of crate training, but I don't like it as much as I used to. People tend to overuse the crate, and the crate should be a desirable place for the dog to stay and not feel like they have to be in there all the time. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I might get flamed for this comment, but I have found that a very simple way to housebreak dogs is simply to keep them outside a great deal until they learn to use the potty outside. When you see her potty outdoors, praise her. Also, don't rely on the treats too much. Dogs respond to your verbal praise and hugs just as much. They love pleasing their owners, and it doesn't have to be through food, especially since too many treats can lead to obesity. Keeping her outdoors while potty training works great because since outside is their only place to use the potty, they get used to that. Bring her in when you can watch her carefully, and when you can't, keep her outside. After she's trained, you can keep her inside all the time. I used to be a big fan of crate training, but I don't like it as much as I used to. People tend to overuse the crate, and the crate should be a desirable place for the dog to stay and not feel like they have to be in there all the time. Good luck!
Not sure why you think this would work because the dog was already kept outside 24/7 on a chain. It obviously knows how to go to the bathroom outside.

OP, they probably lied to you and the dog was never housebroken. You need to start again there are several good posts in this forum on how to do it. You can do a search. You need to go out with her and make sure she goes. Don't just let her out the door. Don't worry about the treats when you're training her you can always take the weight off once she's trained or cut down a little on her normal feedings while you're training her. You also might tether her to you with a long leash so she's never out of your sight. That way you can keep an eye on her at all times.

I know it's frustrating but hang in there. Thank you for caring enough to give her a good home. She sounds like she's had a really rough life up until now.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Thanks for your posts.

I don't have a fenced yard. I am retired and take the dog out several times a day. I have tried both a standard leash and a retractable leash. I have walked her as much as an hour but usually a half hour at a time and she will sniff and smell the whole time. The only time she goes as she should is when I took her to the park where she was mainly marking.

I have tried praising her and/or given her treats when she does go but she doesn't seem to get it even though I believe this is a very smart dog.

Like I said, I am retired and keep her with me almost 24/7 and yet she finds a time that I am not watching to go.

I have tried spreading her poop with a pooper scooper over the areas I want her to go. She ignores this and does not go.

I am afraid whatever happen to her in the past may condemn her to a life outside.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Again, please search this forum there are a lot of good threads on housebreaking.

It doesn't sound like you have tried tethering her to you with a long leash while she's inside. Tie the lease to your belt, clip it on to her collar and then go about your business. Make sure it's a long leash so she can lay down beside you while you're doing what you need to do. The only caveat I'll add is not to do it if you think she can pull you down. If that's the case then tie her to a piece of furniture in whatever room you're in.

You could also pay for a couple of sessions with a professional trainer. While you've been at this a while, I don't think you're out of options. Please don't give up on her yet.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Rowan123,

Thank for the post. I am not giving up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs