U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 03:48 PM

19,474 posts, read 22,592,960 times

Advertisements

My husband has been in the hospital for the past month due to a severe head injury so he has not been able to wash and comb his/our Miniature Schnauzer. Our adult daughter took him into a well regarded grooming place and asked that he be washed and groomed. His hair varied from two to four inches on different parts of his body. She specifically asked that his hair be cut in the area directly around his butt (as poop sometimes caught in his long hair) and around his penis (as the very long hair would be soaking wet and get on the furniture & carpet after his walks). Our daughter told the groomer that we were unhappy with the previous groomer who cut the hair on his legs (which should kept long) and the hair never really grew back as long as it used to be. She thought that only the hair around his butt & penis would be cut or any mats that couldn't be combed out.

When she picked up the dog he was shaved. Yes, actually shaved. His hair was only a quarter of an inch long over most of his body (except his face & beard which was less than an inch long or shorter).

Our daughter started crying when she saw the dog. The groomer was surprised that our daughter was shocked and unhappy with the extremely short haircut.

When I saw the dog he did not even look like our beautiful long haired schnauzer. He looked like some strange no-hair alien dog, sort of like those cats that are hairless.

So, pet lovers & dog owners, was my daughter supposed to say "Do not shave the dog" or were they wrong to shave him without permission or what? Now it is heading into winter and we have a shaved dog, which I assume would be a big problem when he is outside in the snow & cold during his walks.

They gave her a slight discount on the hefty fee that they charged for washing & grooming (probably because she was hysterically crying and asking why they shaved him) and she did not know what to do so she just paid and left.

But, are they in the wrong? And, what, if anything should we do?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,252,302 times
How does the dog act? Does he like it? It WILL grow back

Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,415,853 times
There was some kind of miscommunication..big time!! They should have refunded 100%.
I had a scottie schnauzer mix..cutest son of a gun ever.....anyway..during the summer I would ask for a shave but leave his beard and eyebrows.. he would look like a baby lion!!
I'd be in tears too though.
I'm sure your buddy looks cute though!!
Nothing you can do now but wait for the hair to grow back.
Sorry...

Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM

6,232 posts, read 7,582,533 times
Some like their Schnauzers shaved, some don't. Personal preference, it will grow back no worries!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,137,514 times
It sounds like a show cut that's standard for schnauzers. Usually they coat on the body is clipped very short. It sounds like you kept his much longer than usual for a schnauzer. Of course you can groom him however you like but I'm guessing she assumed you wanted a standard schnauzer cut and that's what she gave you. Definitely there was a miscommunication. You can always call the grooming shop and complain and see if they will do something.

Does he look like this now?

http://www.classicschnauzer.com/

Those are traditional cuts for schnauzers.

Sorry this happened but it will grow back. He may need a coat for for his walks in the winter until some of it grows out.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It sounds like a show cut that's standard for schnauzers. Usually they coat on the body is clipped very short. It sounds like you kept his much longer than usual for a schnauzer. Of course you can groom him however you like but I'm guessing she assumed you wanted a standard schnauzer cut and that's what she gave you. Definitely there was a miscommunication. You can always call the grooming shop and complain and see if they will do something.

Does he look like this now?

Champion Miniature Schnauzer | Mini Schnauzer Breeders | Texas

Those are traditional cuts for schnauzers.

Sorry this happened but it will grow back. He may need a coat for for his walks in the winter until some of it grows out.
Nope, he doesn't look like those pictures. He looks more like one of those hair-less cats. I am really not joking when I say that his hair is only 1/4 of an inch long on most of his body (basically shaved to the skin on his underside). If it was summer I would be seriously worried that he would get a sunburn over his entire body as you can see his skin very clearly through the buzz cut.

They also shaved his legs, too and cut a lot of hair off of his face & beard. I maybe could see the misunderstanding about the rest of his hair, but why did they shave his legs to 1/4 inch when our daughter specifically said that we were very unhappy with the previous groomer who cut the hair on his legs very short? BTW, the hair never grew back as long and silky as his original hair on his legs (I can't find a good picture to show how it looked).

How long before it grows back to at least an inch long?

PS. when I said "long haired" schnauzer I meant that "fringe" around his body, his beard & facial hair and his legs.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-06-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,137,514 times
Thanks for the clarification.

That does sound way too short, I'd call and ask for a refund and if they sell pet sweaters there, tell them you want them to give you one that fits him because he'll need it.

I don't know how long it will take to grow back. I'd guess you'd see some improvement in a month or two. I'd add an omega 3 supplement to his diet to help with his skin and coat.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,424,631 times
We get ours cut like this every 6 weeks. So much easier to maintain and the dogs are always happier right after their cuts. We live in Phoenix so they don't need the fur for heat. Win win all the way around.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We get ours cut like this every 6 weeks. So much easier to maintain and the dogs are always happier right after their cuts. We live in Phoenix so they don't need the fur for heat. Win win all the way around.
I have to admit that it certainly will be easier to wash and comb him, but when it gets to be 30 degrees outside in the next month I doubt if that tiny bit of fur will keep him very warm. And, when it gets 10 or 20 degrees below zero in two or three months he will be really wishing for his longer hair back.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 PM

13,593 posts, read 36,821,363 times
You keep acting upset over a hair cut that Will grow back Your beautiful boy going to keep thinking He did something wrong. I Strip cip my dog every spring they were Collies & Shelties By fall they had Floor length hair. I was on a Papillon web sit that said Don't clip them cause it take 2 yrs for the ear fringe to grow back Well my pap got real sick Major Diarrhea so I had no choice when she got well to strip her 3 months later couldn't even tell her hair was so long! So take a chill pill. Its not the end of the world.

Go buy him a Doggie Motor Cycle coat

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...coat&FORM=IGRE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs