Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 71,552 times

Advertisements

We have a Basenji/German Shepherd mix (as far as we can tell) who is really aggressive to other dogs. She is about 2 and a half years old and gets really mean anytime there is another dog nearby. We suddenly have a beagle puppy (she's not a new puppy, but not full grown yet) in the house long term and have spent the last few days trading them in and out of their crates to keep our dog from attacking the puppy. We have been working on trying to get them to gradually get used to each other, but so far our dog is still snarling and growling, with the puppy being either terrified or clueless that there is any danger. Are there any techniques for this kind of situation to help them get along? Or will they be taking turns for everything for the next 2 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Well, I have an aggressive, alpha Westie and he managed to learn to get along with our new female yorkie. They are opposite sex dogs . . and that was supposed to make things easier.

I got lots of help from people on this board (search threads for Ringo). One thing I learned is that you have to pay a lot of attention to your first dog . . to help ease the jealousy. Do everything first for them - feed first; leash first; greet first . . . and try not to pay TOO much attention to the puppy.

You may have to keep them separated for a while if your dog is really aggressive. Is the new puppy old enough to walk?

Walking them together helps them bond. You might need a helper with that one at first.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Would have introduced them on neutral territory so the older girl didnt feel intruded/imposed on, also be sure to feed them separately and don't leave any bones lying around. Sometimes a puppy can bring out the maternal side of a nervous, older dog (they can be more tolerant w/ a puppy even if they never had puppies) but at this point, it doesnt sound like it happened. Even keeping them separated, sometimes things happen and one can get loose and there c/b a problem, given the size difference and the fact your dog is aggressive, her routine is upset and the puppy can become nervous and scared, maybe crating them in different rooms for everyone's peace of mind would be best, that way there's no constant tension on anyone's part. Two months can be a long time if it's not working out, do you have a backup plan (I hate to be negative, am just being realistic).

PS Possibly rubbing a small towel over the puppy and rubbing another over the adult and then putting the towels in the opposite one's crates will get them used to each other's scents would help. Also like Ringo posted, if you and a friend can walk your dog and the puppy (if she's finished w/ vacc's etc) together, side by side but maybe a foot or so apart, would try that, if you think your adult would do that but be sure it doesnt backfire, you dont want her lunging for the puppy. Maybe meeting down the block would work better than leaving from the house together, would keep them on fairly short leashes (no retractables) and as they relax and as you relax, you can give them more length on the leash but I'd prob. start off w/ the leash wrapped around my hand a couple of times.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 05-02-2010 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 AM

161 posts, read 563,357 times
take introductions VERY slowly. crating next to one another is a good idea, but if it doesnt seem to be working or your dog seems too stressed, then crate them separately. also, take your aggressive dog out alone and exercise thoroughly. then you and someone else take the two on a long long walk. you will probably have to do this numerous times. if your dog is truly dog aggressive rather than just needing slow intros then this is something you should probably discuss with a trainer. they arent very expensive and can really give good tips and advice. make sure you ask what method they use. good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Last edited by spritle; 05-03-2010 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 PM

The puppy is about 7 months old. I had also hoped that our dog would be motherly and take care of the little one - no such luck. We have been still trading them out, but taking them outside together, both on a leash. Yesterday we thought that they were starting to get along, because they seemed like they were playing (the puppy is always playing) but after today, we decided that they really aren't after all. The bigger dog will jump on the little one's back, which looked like playing, but when we watched longer, she was definitely not playing, and trying to bite the puppy. She has not been growling so much, which made us think they were getting along. So it looks like we'll be practicing a lot more or just putting up with a strange schedule for a while. I appreciate the tips! Maybe they will eventually click.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,488 times
When we added a second dog to our household, we had some transition issues. They both growled at each other occasionally for the first few weeks (we curbed this behavior). Anyway, walking the dogs together definitely helped mine...but make sure you have a different person walking each dog! Walking together can help them get adjusted to each other outside "their territory." Good luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
I find once they destroy something together things become better between them. I had two that didn't like each other and left and they totally destroyed the Sunday newspaper together and it covered the house from end to end...they got along ever since.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I find once they destroy something together things become better between them. I had two that didn't like each other and left and they totally destroyed the Sunday newspaper together and it covered the house from end to end...they got along ever since.
HAHAHAHA. Destructions brings bonding. I like it.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 32,767 times
First, I would make sure they are both spayed/neutered. The Putnam County Spay/Neuter clinic on Fisk Road is excellent and very affordable. Spaying/Neutering alone can eliminate conflicts between dogs. Never leave the two together unsupervised. Also, start with some basic obedience training. Nothing comes for free. If they want a treat they have to do something to earn it, like "sit". If you have two people take them for walks together, each of you walking one. Walk them far enough apart that the puppy can't get attacked. Jan Casey is a dog trainer in Cookeville. I have not used her for dog training but I have heard great things about her. You could also check out "The Dog Whisperer" and "It's Me or The Dogs" on TV. Both will have some good ideas and you can see how it is done. Let us know how this all goes, ok?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Things are slowly improving. They were able to lay next to each other (with the bigger dog in her harness) on the floor for a while. I think they had both gotten so stressed about it that they were just exhausted and didn't have the energy to growl. I doubt they will ever be left together on their own, but things are more manageable now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs