Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times

Advertisements

last week up at the barn, my dog was eating the chicken feed and crushed corn
next day acting sick, I thought he was constipated from eating the feed (she only eats purina one)
2 days later, pooped the white feed and better
last night, she was acting strange again, would not lay down, breathing hard (she is a black lab)
today to Dr., after blood work dx with pancreatitis
rx for flagyl, tramadol and nausea med and some kind of canned food called w/d

anyone else have a dog with pancreatitis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Has your pet been on any meds? No doubt what your pet ate caused this. I know its no picnic and the pet can get very sick, but it usually clears up, some are kept in hospital and put on IV's for a day or too, fat is a problem too.

I know alot of pet owners who deal with this, sent you a DM

Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
One of my dobermans was diagnosed with it over 20 years ago. It's very painful and he was put on a number of medications and a special diet. The meds your dog was given sound familiar and the food was one of the Science Diet special canned "D"s (ID, WD, RD, -- cant remember which one it was).

You're lucky your dog was diagnosed so quickly -- or maybe diagnosis has come a long way in 20 years, My poor guy was in ICU for over a week before they discovered what his problem was. with medication and the special diet (absolutely no cheating at all), he should be ok.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
she is not on any med (prior to today)
thanks for the DM

last night when I got home I looked at her and knew something wasn't right (thinking constipation again) we made her go outside every hour thought out the night
this morning when vet opened I called, they got me in
blood work and with dx of Pancreatitis
the Dr did say, it was an early case, that most don't come in till too late and it's in the hosp for iv fluids for days and most don't make it, so I do feel good about that (or an over reative mother)

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Great job! Pancreatitis can still be a doozy. We sometimes get them in the ICU of the vet school where I work. It's extremely painful and can be tough to treat. So good for you for getting your dog to the vet in good time. I wish more pet owners were like you.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,368 times
does pancreatitis affect their behavior? no matter what we do our bichon is very hyper! she is five months. thank you for any input.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Pancreatitis is a serious, and sometimes fatal, disorder. Characterized by vomiting, abdominal pain (and the tummy is quite tender when gently pressed with the flat of the hand, which is called 'palpation'), sometimes diarrhea, but often not, fever and the dog looks VERY ill.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
I lost a dog five years ago to pancreatitis. Heidi was a glutton dog, she would eat anything and everything is sight. One day she ate all of her food and stole the food of two of the other dogs then found a beef bone in the yard and ate it and then threw up the food. She had done this before and we thought she was OK, but she went into shock before we got her to the vet and died rather quickly. I have read up on the disease and know more about it now. Heidi fit the bill; a well fed dog, a dog that over eats and her last food included the fatty bone. Keep you dog away from fat, it is hard for the pancreas to metabolize, and get the weight down if your dog has a weight problem. The best diet would be a bland diet, try adding plain steamed white rice to the food and grated or chopped vegetables. No cheese, oils or fats.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrilye View Post
does pancreatitis affect their behavior? no matter what we do our bichon is very hyper! she is five months. thank you for any input.
No that is not a sign of pancreatitus, in fact the opposite.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrilye View Post
Kinda sounds like a normal 5 month old Bichon puppy to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs