Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 11:43 AM

105 posts, read 171,245 times

Advertisements

I currently have a German Shepherd and am looking to add an Anatolian Shepherd. Can anyone familiar with both breeds give me any insight into the differences in training approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 01:21 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
German Shepherds are cooperative workers and Anatolians are independent workers and much more protective and suspicious of strangers. Both can be dog aggressive, but Anatolians are much more dog aggressive.

A German Shepherd will work hard trying to figure out what you want so he can make you happy. The Anantolian doesn't much care whether you are happy or not.

German Shepherds are sheep herding dogs that morphed into police dogs that work closely with their handler, and Anantolians are livestock guardians who don't work with anybody.

You'd better be strong willed and organized if you expect to train an Anatolian into a good citizen.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 PM

I raised a very high drive German import, so I'm definitely strong willed and organized. Have also trained Rottweilers and Dobes. Just wondering about training methodology with the Anatolian.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
I have found this website to be pretty much right on with many of the breeds I am familiar with...and that's a lot of breeds. Although it merely touches on temperament in regards to training. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs: What's Good and Bad About Anatolians

It's hard to imagine why anyone would want an Anatolian unless they had livestock that required guarding. My friends with livestock guarding dogs mostly have Great Pyrs. A few have Maremmas or Kuvasz.

This Livestock Guardian Dogs site has a discussion list. I'm guessing you'd have better luck there. Livestock Guardian Dogs

Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
Anatolians are not like rots, dobes or GSDS, because Anatolians were bred for a VERY diferent job.
training an AS is more like training a saluki or afghan hound...they are INCREDIBLY independent.
as a breed Anatolians were bred to work 100% completely independent of humans, they lived 100% with their flock of sheep or goats, traveling hundereds of miles of rough territory, protecting their livestock...no human in sight, no human to give orders, or direction...
because of this they were bred to not "need" humans.
dobes, rots, GSD's were all designed by man to work WITH man...they were bred to work with a human counterpart and thus be highly trainable, vry alert, very human responsive, and "NEED" people...they are bred to learn and have a desire to please the humans they are working with....

Anatolians however...they wernt bred for that...infact they were bred the complete opposite...to not need humans, to not need instruction...to not need to please their human counterpart, their loyalty was to the sheep/goats...NOT to the human.

because of this the raingin approach is different...
everything a GSD LOVES to learn an Anatolian will look at you like "but why?"
everything a dobe is eager to do just because learning is fun an Anatolian will say "that's silly, that doesn't help me"
everything a rotty wants to do because his very instinct says please you, an Anatolian will say "whats in it or me?"

you have to approach livestock guardian breeds with a different approach...
they are feircly loyal to anything they consider their "flock" (human, goats, kids, cats, doesn't matter as long as they deam it part of theirs) they tend to be laid back almost "lazy" dogs as mature adults, (again bred to expend energy only as nessicary...

don't take this to mean they cant be trained or are not intelligent, quite the opposite...
It just takes a little more to figure out the motivation behind an LGD breed and accept that they will NEVER be a GSD...they will never WANT to run 50 miles just because you are...instead they are more likely to look at you and say "ok you keep running ill wait here till you get back...shout me if you need anything" kind of dogs.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks foxy! You've given me a lot to think about. The Anatolian would be used for livestock and as general homestead guardian.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
as a livestock and homestead guardian you cant beat an Anatolian in my mind...

Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
as a livestock and homestead guardian you cant beat an Anatolian in my mind...
Thanks. Put a deposit on an upcoming litter and am looking forward to the adventure with the breed.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
A puppy picture would be greatly appreciated when you get him, please.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
A puppy picture would be greatly appreciated when you get him, please.
Definitely! Should be here around February 7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs