Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM

96 posts, read 226,878 times

Advertisements

A new neighbor of mine has four French bulldogs, and I'm kind of worried because the dogs have been outside in a pen most of the time since she got them (about six weeks ago), and she seems uncertain about whether or not the dogs will be staying out in the pen all winter, too.

I've read that French bulldogs don't do well outside in extreme heat or cold. However, I can't find anything online that gives actual temperatures/weather conditions that are okay. It does get really cold here in central CT in the wintertime.

I can't see the dogs and their pen very clearly from my yard (and so far I'm trying not to be a completely obnoxious nosy neighbor by barging into their backyard uninvited to check out the dogs' living conditions more closely). There are two or three small plastic dog houses in the pen, but I think they're right on the ground with nothing underneath to insulate them.

My neighbor did say that she's asking relatives to take the two youngest dogs for the winter and keep them indoors. Also, she's planning to put something up to block wind from blowing through the lower walls of the pen.

It would be great to hear from anyone who actually has had French bulldogs, and has observed how they do outdoors in the winter. I'd like to know what are safe outdoor temps in the daytime and at night. I think my neighbor really wants to do the right thing for her dogs, but lacks information. If anyone here has had experience with this, I'll be sure to share it with her, and monitor the results. Thank you all in advance! - Joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Here you go- scroll down to where it talks about their temperature tolerances. ( also I would be concerned about those bat ears, with little circulation getting frost bit, as well as even moderate temperatures they can easily over heat... I could go on ... )
Why a French Bulldog? | BlueHaven French Bulldogs

Old 11-16-2015, 06:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
French Bulldogs are not outside dogs, no dog should be an outside dog. Your neighbor should bring the dogs in and train them properly or get them to someone who will love and appreciate them.

Really, little dogs with short fur are not equipped for a Connecticut winter, they are equipped to sit in a warm house and snort. If your neighbor insists on keeping them outside I would call animal control and let them explain to her that she is abusing her dogs.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Good idea about Animal control as was just about to edit my post with same suggestion.

I was also going to add- is there any possiblity that your neighbor has a 'doggy door' so that the dogs are coming and going at will outside ? ( even still - with potential preditors, I would hope not... )

Old 11-16-2015, 07:32 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
I know you said you don't want to be a nosey neighbor, but I'm with the other posters. If she can't/won't bring them indoors and care for them, Animal control needs to be brought in. A harsh winter outside for these types of dogs is abuse.

Sounds like she made a poor choice in dog breeds if she wants a dog to spend it's winter outdoors.
What was she thinking?

Last edited by TerraDown; 11-16-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 07:41 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Your neighbor got four dogs at one time and keeps them outside??

Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,161 times
I don't get it, why would someone like her have even one dog, let alone four? Is she attempting to start a backyard breeding operation? Pets should be members of the family and live indoors along with everyone else, not stuck in the backyard or garage like potted plants.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
Cat makes a good point. Is she trying to start up a breeding program?
Down here in Florida, they just busted a puppy mill today with 100+ dogs being abused for that very purpose.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 PM

454 posts, read 495,229 times
WTF? NO bulldogs should be kept outside! Man, this makes me angry

Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
No dog should have to live outside in severe weather. French bulldogs would freeze to death in a cold winter. I would call a rescue organization if this happens...and do it immediately. Your neighbor is nuts! And those poor dogs need to be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs