U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 05:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,469 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have a beautiful 9 years old 65 lb black lab mix,we live in Key West ( going to drive and departure from Miami) an we are moving to Puerto Rico, our dog have a relax, nice temperament, he is very nice and calm, but even when he travels on the car with both of us get very anxious, stars winning, drools and overal doesn't have fun, we relax, to show him it's ok. But doesn't work very well, now unfortunately he is going to travel in cargo around December 8th ( I'm praying the temperature will be perfect for him, not too hot) and I'm seriously thinking about asking my vet. To prescribe him something or better injecting him to knock him out during the flight, we move before from Key West to Sarasota (we did drive that time) and try this sleeping pills, cause it was like 8hrs. Driving with the uhaul truck and it didn't work, the poor thing was only drug confuse and kept winning for 6 hrs. Until he FINALLY felt sleep, I heard lots of histories about dogs flying on cargo and been so stressful to the point of loosing teeth, loosing nails on the paws and I can imagine the stress down there in cargo, plus the noises the airplane makes (dogs ears are more sensitive than humans!!!
Anybody has injecting your dog to make him sleep and the whole experience went well? I heard is not good cause the elevation and pressure can be bad for the heart!!! Can somebody please advise me?
Thanks in advance

Ps: he loves the kennel, we put his bed inside on it and he sleeps there overal enjoys that
Carmen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM

811 posts, read 1,456,075 times
DO NOT sedate your dog in any way. I will repeat that, DO NOT. Any decent airline refuses to take dogs that have been sedated anyway. It can be extremely dangerous for them. I had a very nervous dog and we flew him from the UK to the USA, a total of 12 hours flying time. He was very stressed but he didn't hurt himself and once we had him in the car he calmed down. You are on a relatively short flight. Is there any way you can go by boat instead? I would check into that.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,200,337 times
Agree, DO NOT sedate your dog. I've flown with mine and haven't sedated them, they've all been fine.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Thank you!
This is very helpful and gives me hope, we won't sedate him and hopefully everything will turns just fine!
Appreciate your time and help.
Carmen

Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 PM

10,416 posts, read 13,586,239 times
I'd charter a plane. Your dog will still need to be in the kennel if it has an open interior because of an FAA rule, but you could talk to him while you're flying and wouldn't need to worry about his welfare. Flying in cargo is dangerous; many dogs don't survive. I completely agree with the others on no sedatives.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 AM

that sounds like a GREAT idea!!!
Now I'm doing some research ( looking for an empty leg fly) wish we could afford a regular private charter, but this open a new window for me! There is hope that something shows up, I am flexible with dates so hopefully something shows up,

THANK YOU!!!!
Carmen

Last edited by Jon&carmen; 11-21-2015 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Wrong answer

Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 AM

15 posts, read 12,307 times
We made a similar move with our then-11year old Catahoula mix, who was around 75lb at the time. We flew her from Orlando to Puerto Rico. I highly recommend looking into United Continental PetSafe program, as their cargo is air conditioned, so there are no worries about the temperature. I became involved in dog rescue while here in PR (seriously, it's HORRIBLE how bad the dog situation is here!) and I've seen countless flights being cancelled on other airlines due to the temperature being to high on either the departure or arrival point. Most airlines specify the outside temp cannot be above 85 degrees when loading the plane, and use NOAA to estimate the temp upon arrival. This leads to many cancelled flights to Miami, and I know it would be a mess to have your pet's flight cancelled if you're all flying out the same day.

Also, pay attention to the travel time length for your pet. United didn't offer a direct flight from Orlando to PR, so she was sent to New Jersey, then down to PR. But her flight was delayed in Jersey, so she was stuck in her crate for 14 hours with no bathroom breaks. It was horrible and we felt so bad! She's an easygoing girl though, and bounced back with no issues. Now, one of my resue pups (sato is PR slang for street dog) is exactly how you describe yours! He's an anxious guy, and I'm super worried about flying him out of here in 6 months (don't know where we are headed yet, but it could be as far away as Alaska!) Sedatives are definitely a no-go as it can cause breathing problems. I've heard calming supplements like Pet Remedy can help, but I haven't tried them yet. You may want to give it a shot!

Sorry I wrote a novel! Hope it helps!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,221,332 times
I'm not suggesting sedating, but what about calming biscuits, or something like Anxitane (L-Theanine)?

Maybe a pheromone collar? Time is getting short, but you could try them on the drive to see what effect they have on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs