Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I normally give my 3 yr old boxer dog (male, 75 lbs) a tbsp of peanut butter a few times a week in his kong bone to keep him busy while I'm at school.
Today I gave him a tbsp this morning and forgot about doing that so I gave him ANOTHER tablespoon tonight before I realized that I had already given him one.
I used skippy natural peanut butter in case anyone was wondering.
Do you think 2 tbsp is too much?
Thanks!
Abby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,621,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_q1 View Post
Hi everyone,
I normally give my 3 yr old boxer dog (male, 75 lbs) a tbsp of peanut butter a few times a week in his kong bone to keep him busy while I'm at school.
Today I gave him a tbsp this morning and forgot about doing that so I gave him ANOTHER tablespoon tonight before I realized that I had already given him one.
I used skippy natural peanut butter in case anyone was wondering.
Do you think 2 tbsp is too much?
Thanks!
Abby
Low fat cream cheese has fewer calories and less salt. My dog loves it.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 AM

37,350 posts, read 60,116,448 times
Some dogs don't handle dairy well

Be careful
Some put mfg have started adding different type of sugar that is not good for dogs...
I think,it is form of sorbitol but can't remember article
We don't feed our dog put butter so didn't pay it too much attention

Old 11-20-2015, 07:09 AM

50,514 posts, read 64,443,704 times
Just watch out it doesn't have any xylitol in it. I think that's what loves2read was thinking of. There is an article in my paper today about how poisonous xylitol is for dogs.
It is in candy and gum, and is 12x worse than chocolate for dogs.
One piece of Ice Breakers gum could be deadly for a 26# dog. I believe it is also in gummy vitamins.

I have heard that frozen plain Chobani yogurt is a great treat for dogs. It gives them probiotics that is good for their system. Freeze it in ice cube trays and give one or two, depending on size. Greek yogurt has the whey strained out, and whey is the culprit in lactose intolerance.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 AM

3,607 posts, read 9,091,379 times
Skippy natural has sugar in it, I'm not sure if they have to disclose if it's cane sugar or something like xylitol. Personally I would change to a peanut butter with out any sugar at all, your pup doesn't need it.

To your original question. 2 TBSP for a big dog now and again is fine, I'm sure he was happy. I would just be sure there is no xylitol in it.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,988,428 times
I would hope that they cannot call xylitol or corn syrup "sugar". They are not sugar. Sugar is significantly more expensive than corn syrup. We grow a lot of corn. Cuba grows a lot of sugar. I wonder if this is why we are opening trade relations with Cuba. Corn syrup is being linked to obesity and diabetes I think... more readily than sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Skippy natural has sugar in it, I'm not sure if they have to disclose if it's cane sugar or something like xylitol. Personally I would change to a peanut butter with out any sugar at all, your pup doesn't need it.

To your original question. 2 TBSP for a big dog now and again is fine, I'm sure he was happy. I would just be sure there is no xylitol in it.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 AM

37,350 posts, read 60,116,448 times
It is like antifreeze to dogs
Very dangerous but has to be listed by name
It is NOT sugar which us natural product
Txylitol--thanks for the correct term gentlerts--is definitely man- made

Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,130,851 times
I would use a natural peanut butter that contains only peanuts. No other additives. Cats and dogs do not need the sugar or salt, and their kidneys are stressed by the salt (especially small dogs and cats.) My cat loves peanut butter, and I keep a jar that is just hers because I prefer my peanut butter salted.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 PM

7,413 posts, read 12,762,362 times
We give our medium-sized dog a spoonful of organic, no-salt, unsweetened, smooth peanut butter several times a week. Most health food stores carry some version of that. As a matter of fact, that's the peanut butter I eat myself! If we freeze it in the Kong it lasts a bit longer. Learned that trick from you guys!

I have a heck of a time licking it out of the Kong...
(Couldn't resist that...)

Old 11-23-2015, 05:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,266,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We give our medium-sized dog a spoonful of organic, no-salt, unsweetened, smooth peanut butter several times a week. Most health food stores carry some version of that. As a matter of fact, that's the peanut butter I eat myself! If we freeze it in the Kong it lasts a bit longer. Learned that trick from you guys!

I have a heck of a time licking it out of the Kong...
(Couldn't resist that...)
Recipe for an incomparably long lasting Kong:
1. stuff the bottom hole of the Kong with a piece of kibble to prevent leakage
2. layer some kibble then cheese then kibble then cheese...you get the idea...leaving some space at the top of the Kong
3. place the Kong upright in a microwave safe mug (in case of leakage) and nuke gently...just long enough to melt the cheese all over the kibble
4. fill the top of the Kong with peanut butter
5. freeze the stuffed Kong overnight

Our dogs get frozen peanut butter stuffed Kongs...small size Kongs with small holes to make them work hard for the money...every day we both work away from home. Guessing there is at least three to four tablespoons of peanut butter in each Kong. No issues. I keep our dogs lean so meals on those work days are appropriately reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs