Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,381,588 times

Advertisements

What part of Illegal don't you understand! Don't matter if its your driveway or parked on the street! IF she Not drinking she Dehydrated which CAN Kill her! It also causes confusion. & is a Very Painful way to die! I was using my son bathroom his 1st apt was upstairs 10 mins had 2 of my shelties in my car. Dead of Winter Snow on the ground! AC came by & Ordered me to take them in the apt ..No Pets Allowed...cause next time I be Fined & charged with Cruelty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,030,401 times
When my partner is not at work, our GSD spends quite a bit of time in "her truck". She enjoys stretching out on the back seat and taking a snooze. Of course, we do this when it's not too hot out, and our property is set up so we don't have to worry about being reported for the exceptionally cruel thing that we're doing. /sarcasm off

I check on her every hour or so, though I have to admit that I forgot about her on Saturday. About 4 hours later, I had to coax her out of the truck.

OP, I understand that you feel that you live in a safe neighborhood and all, but bear in mind that people can do really stupid and foolish things when it comes to animals. Just this morning, we heard a story on the local news about a couple who took their dog out to a park and had him off leash. He "disappeared", though they did find the tags off his collar. The working theory is that someone wanted to teach them a lesson about having their dog off leash where it wasn't legal to do so. That you go out and check on your dog often may not be enough if someone wants to "teach you a lesson".

Also, as has been mentioned, that your dog can get out of the windows if she wants means that she's not under your control. If something should happen and she gets out, you will be liable.

Frankly, if the conditions are not "dangerous" (which is the legal standard for cruelty where I am from), I don't see the issue with leaving your dog in the car on a limited basis, if that's where she wants to be.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM

32 posts, read 51,314 times
Do you even know my state? Of course, in any state, a dog out in extreme weather could be in danger. And in your case, you should be charged with cruelty because it is dead of winter. "I would never leave my dog in a car for even 10 minutes in the dead of winter. And this is ILLEGAL and you are in an apartment with all these strangers around!" I am not condescending enough to say things like that but I am making an exception here since you can dish it, I'm sure you are able to take it.

It isn't the dead of winter here. It's a little chilly for me but I still do not need a jacket to go out. But it is the perfect weather for my dog to be out and I will not be keeping her out in the winter. My dog is not going to be dehydrated from drinking LESS water. She doesn't stay in the car 24 hours and she resumes her water gulping habit when she is not in the car.

I really do not think my dog can get out of the car. She is really too big to fit through a window and she knows that she has bad hips. I have said that it's been years since I saw my girl jump. I check on her every 20 minutes personally and my other family members in the mean time try to coax her out too.

I understand your point about people being mean spirited but no one is bothered by the fact my dog is in my car. Like I said before, I set up a ramp every 20 minutes and try to sweet talk her out and people think it's funny that my dog is just stubborn like that. I don't think it is funny but people know that I am not caging her up in there.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,418,424 times
Maybe stop bringing her in the car unless there is someplace she must go with you?

Old 11-30-2015, 04:31 PM

My car was still warm when I returned. I debated leaving the car running with the windows crack but decide turning off be better since I knew I only be a few mins. BTW my dogs were Shelties with Very Thick Coats! We were on the way home from training class Very Cold unheated cement building! & when they got home they stayed outside 30 mins Playing in the snow!

Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Maybe stop bringing her in the car unless there is someplace she must go with you?
I agree BUT wonder how the OP gets the dog out at the vets ....

Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM

Dog Old has Bad hips wont get out of a car cause it PAINFUL You say you & your family Watch the dog WHY don't a couple of you lift her out of the car? Bring her inside. She choosing staying in the car over the Pain of getting out on her own! & Stop letting her in the car! Your Not Raising her in the car, you have her Trapped there.

Last edited by Katie1; 11-30-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 PM

32 posts, read 51,314 times
Katie1 - So, it's okay for you to leave your dogs in the car in the middle of dead winter in an apartment complex and then let your dogs play in the snow afterwards but it's so cruel on my part to leave my dog in a car in my driveway in a very safe neighborhood in cool weather. If my dog was panting, I would take her out immediately and if my dog was hot, she would not want to stay in the car as she hates hot weather.

Also, I think you need some reading comprehension help because you are just making things up. I mentioned my old dog's age because I want to make her even happier in her golden years. Not to point out how frail she is because she is not. She does have bad hips but it's not that painful right now. She never cries getting up, into or out of a car and we go on short walks without problem. But if people try to move her, then she cries and even when we are at the vet, the vet never can get her to show her her belly because people can't move her without making her cry.

Inevitably in the future, I suspect that there will come a time when I can no longer take her on car rides due to her age so I want to do that for her now when she still can so please stop responding with your ignorant comments.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,260,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry123 View Post
I know that my dog has to lose weight and that is on my mind.

Also, my dog does not just stand up when I put a leash on her. She will lay there so there is no leading her out. One would have to pull on her to get her to stand up and because of her hd, that would be very painful for her. Do you understand that?

I lived here for about 20 years and this is the type of place where you do not need to lock your doors and you can leave packages outside overnight and no one will steal your stuff. 90% of my immediate neighbors have been here before I moved here and my dog was raised here since she was a puppy. If I lived in a crime filled area, I would not leave her in the car. Who would try to steal an 80 lb dog from a car when the owner and neighbors are around? Most of my neighbors are retired and they are constantly doing yard work. If police came, they would ask me to take her out and not leave her in the car. I am also unaware of anyone leaving their dogs in the driveway and if I knew such people, I would ask them if their dogs were okay from that. If she is in the car when it gets dark, I am in there with her and she sleeps and I played with my phone or work on a laptop.

Also, I disagree with your comparison about leaving her in a car versus letting her free off leash. There is no management here and the outside people who come here are mostly mail carriers and they know my dog. Even so, when I hear a truck, I go outside and stay with her and make sure no one is uncomfortable with my dog in the car. My dog does not come out of the car by herself. From an outside perspective, I rather have a big dog in a closed car than on a leash if I was afraid. My dog is nearly 13 but she can still pull me if she wants to. My neighbor's elderly aunt moved in with her maltese and was concerned about having a big dog next door. My neighbor told her that my dog is always watched by someone and that is mostly true. Although I cannot see her 24/7, I can hear what is going on outside and my other family members check on her too. My big dog is almost 13 and is in very good health despite having hd as a puppy and I believe a part of it has to do with the fact that I try to keep her happy.
After I asked that specific question and you have explained it, yes.

I was referring to dog management. Not property or apartment management. The similarity is that you are technically leaving your dog free to wander if she wishes in the same way that people who allow their dogs off leash unsupervised on their unfenced property (front yard, driveway, back yard, whatever) do. The chance that she would wander seems very low from your description. I realize you periodically check on her. Most people who allow their dogs off leash in their unfenced yards prolly do too. She is obviously more confined than those loose dogs are. But some of the same dangers apply.

You asked. We answered.

If you don't appreciate the logical concerns that some of us have, why did you even post the question? Merely to get confirmation that what you're doing is OK? It prolly is OK based on your description. But your dog could still be stolen...it happens and of course it happens when people (like yourself) do not expect it to happen...or the cops/animal welfare called by a stranger who feels she is being inappropriately confined. And if you are in my state, along with many others, that person can legally remove your dog from the car. Personally I would find a safer way to allow my dog to enjoy her days and her views.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,260,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry123 View Post
I know that my dog has to lose weight and that is on my mind.

Also, my dog does not just stand up when I put a leash on her. She will lay there so there is no leading her out. One would have to pull on her to get her to stand up and because of her hd, that would be very painful for her. Do you understand that?

I lived here for about 20 years and this is the type of place where you do not need to lock your doors and you can leave packages outside overnight and no one will steal your stuff. 90% of my immediate neighbors have been here before I moved here and my dog was raised here since she was a puppy. If I lived in a crime filled area, I would not leave her in the car. Who would try to steal an 80 lb dog from a car when the owner and neighbors are around? Most of my neighbors are retired and they are constantly doing yard work. If police came, they would ask me to take her out and not leave her in the car. I am also unaware of anyone leaving their dogs in the driveway and if I knew such people, I would ask them if their dogs were okay from that. If she is in the car when it gets dark, I am in there with her and she sleeps and I played with my phone or work on a laptop.

Also, I disagree with your comparison about leaving her in a car versus letting her free off leash. There is no management here and the outside people who come here are mostly mail carriers and they know my dog. Even so, when I hear a truck, I go outside and stay with her and make sure no one is uncomfortable with my dog in the car. My dog does not come out of the car by herself. From an outside perspective, I rather have a big dog in a closed car than on a leash if I was afraid. My dog is nearly 13 but she can still pull me if she wants to. My neighbor's elderly aunt moved in with her maltese and was concerned about having a big dog next door. My neighbor told her that my dog is always watched by someone and that is mostly true. Although I cannot see her 24/7, I can hear what is going on outside and my other family members check on her too. My big dog is almost 13 and is in very good health despite having hd as a puppy and I believe a part of it has to do with the fact that I try to keep her happy.
Good. I suggest quickly pushing the concept from your mind and into action. If you truly care about her you will begin to get that weight off her pronto. Excess weight is the worst thing a caring person can inadvertently do to an HD dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs