Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,061,541 times

Advertisements

she was trying to get the micro chip changed over to her name and whoa ....60.00 a year to maintain it the records for the chip . sounds like a rip off place to me really .I told her so cause she asked me . I was giving my opinion due to the fact that I have had several dogs and still own three and have never once paid that much to maintain a micro chips records ever !!!! I told her it sounds like fly by night operation and that they take your money and run so to speak ...,what do the rest of you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,005,688 times
Ours doesn't charge at all- I guess they consider it "paid" on the front end. I've never heard of one that charges that much.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,258,059 times
They should be able to update the info without a fee. Some chip companies offer additional service crap that they try to get you to pay extra for but it is not required-they keep the information on record forever. Tell her to read the small print.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,055,994 times
Hmm when we adopted Sabrina she was already chipped, and the shelter changed the info over for free. While we were there we had Nellie chipped and it cost around $30...I never heard of any fees for 'maintaining' it? I thought once the info is in, it's in.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Hmm when we adopted Sabrina she was already chipped, and the shelter changed the info over for free. While we were there we had Nellie chipped and it cost around $30...I never heard of any fees for 'maintaining' it? I thought once the info is in, it's in.

I guess it might be different between two people the original owner and the adopter than the shelter . I don't know I just called and they said that it was 18.95 to change it over and then 60 .00 per year to keep the records . I think I might have said wow what a racket ? and I mean it is a place where there is a call room cause I heard in the background .I told her it would probably be cheaper just get that chip removed and get another put in for her LOL ...

Old 12-03-2015, 11:46 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,055,994 times
I wonder if you could just go to your vet or a local shelter & see what they can do?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I wonder if you could just go to your vet or a local shelter & see what they can do?
she has an apt at the vets for 4 pm and we called the shelter since he is no longer their responsibility they cannot do anything so I called the administration for that county 's shelter and let her know what was going on and she asked me the name and the info on the place and she also let me know that this was not the first time she had heard of this and they are thinking about going with another chip company and I recommended home alone . I used that one and they are so nice and they change info for nothing no money just give them your info and they log it in the computer .

Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,135,632 times
I have never heard of anyone paying a monthly or yearly fee. You pay the original fee, last pup cost us $45, and that was it. When we moved they helped us change the info through our vet's office. We have had a dog returned to us using one.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 PM

253 posts, read 304,307 times
This happened to me. I had my dog microchipped when he was neutered. I stupidly didn't do any extra research and relied on only the bit of info my vet gave. I thought it was just the one fee to install and that if I needed to change the contact info, I would go to a vet. Instead, I started receiving bills to keep the chip 'active'. I don't think it was $60, probably less. I didn't renew. I have a new vet and now I'm really curious to ask her about it because I would really like to know that my dog is properly microchipped just in case. He usually refuses to leave my side, but you never know.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 PM

yep I also left a nasty review of that company on my yelp page just think everyone should know what a racket they are running or maybe should have been what a scam they are perpetrating . Oh well you never know and that is why you should do your research before doing anything .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs