Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,714 times

Advertisements

So my 2 year old Labrador has had an intermittent bad limp for a while and then 2 weeks ago had a swelling on the same leg. We'd been referred to an orthopedic vet hospital as vet suspected elbow dysplasia. Had first appt last week and after examination was told it was likely that it was a bone tumour (oesteosarcoma). So he stayed in and had X rays and then a bone biopsy as they were unable to give a firm diagnosis with just blood test and X Ray. Nothing seems to have spread to his lungs or lymph glands yet luckily.
So we have been in touch with the vets today and they said they still can't give us a diagnosis from the bone biopsy 😞 so they are still unsure whether it is a tumour (more likely) or a severe bone infection (less likely)
Options are:
a) another bone biopsy which is extremely painful for him. They will take bigger piece of bone it this time but again we may not get definitive diagnosis as tissue surrounding possible tumour is reactive (?) and we have to wait at least a week for results.
b) leg amputation. Which seems drastic if it isn't a tumour and I would be devastated to take his leg off if it wasn't this.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar expeiriences or advice??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Just to say they have said there is a small chance it's a severe bone infection instead but we don't know as no diagnosis 100% yet!
In himself he is bright, playful, full appetite, shiny coat

Old 12-14-2015, 11:59 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Severe bone infections are VERY hard to cure; if this is chronic osteomyelitis, the dog may need to have that leg amputated anyway. I'd ask the vet about the odds of treating a bone infection successfully before making your final decision, but I suspect in this case amputation is (unfortunately) the way to go.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicj View Post
So my 2 year old Labrador has had an intermittent bad limp for a while and then 2 weeks ago had a swelling on the same leg. We'd been referred to an orthopedic vet hospital as vet suspected elbow dysplasia. Had first appt last week and after examination was told it was likely that it was a bone tumour (oesteosarcoma). So he stayed in and had X rays and then a bone biopsy as they were unable to give a firm diagnosis with just blood test and X Ray. Nothing seems to have spread to his lungs or lymph glands yet luckily.
So we have been in touch with the vets today and they said they still can't give us a diagnosis from the bone biopsy �� so they are still unsure whether it is a tumour (more likely) or a severe bone infection (less likely)
Options are:
a) another bone biopsy which is extremely painful for him. They will take bigger piece of bone it this time but again we may not get definitive diagnosis as tissue surrounding possible tumour is reactive (?) and we have to wait at least a week for results.
b) leg amputation. Which seems drastic if it isn't a tumour and I would be devastated to take his leg off if it wasn't this.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar expeiriences or advice??
Thanks
Get a second opinion ASAP. If you aren't close to a university veterinary teaching hospital, then take him to an AAHA accredited animal hospital. I would not even vaguely consider something as drastic as an amputation without a second or even third opinion from a well-respected vet hospital.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:11 PM

We are at a vet hospital in Cambridge UK. They are renowned and are a teaching hospital too.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:52 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,384 times
That hospital does have an excellent reputation. A couple of friends took their dogs there.

I guess if it was me, I would go with the second biopsy before having the leg amputated. Pain can be managed but obviously you cannot put the leg back once amputated. Hopefully the second biopsy would give more information.

We are going through a similar thing with my sons elderly Lab. His is a problem with his spine though. The poor dog could barely move. My sons vet did nothing, completely and utterly useless, didn't even offer pain killers until my son asked so he took him to my vet who immediately tripled his pain meds. He however couldn't come up with a definitive diagnosis so referred him to a university vet teaching hospital. After tests they said it was bone growths and will treat him with pain killers, Rimadyl and supplements. They ruled out surgery (I would assume age came into play there). He has been doing quite well and moving a lot better now and more like his old self.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Dog get along fine on 3 legs. Some on 2! Don't worry about that. IF its a bone infection it Can spread you can loose the dog.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,404 times
Quote:
We are at a vet hospital in Cambridge UK. They are renowned and are a teaching hospital too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
That hospital does have an excellent reputation. A couple of friends took their dogs there.

I guess if it was me, I would go with the second biopsy before having the leg amputated. Pain can be managed but obviously you cannot put the leg back once amputated. Hopefully the second biopsy would give more information.

We are going through a similar thing with my sons elderly Lab. His is a problem with his spine though. The poor dog could barely move. My sons vet did nothing, completely and utterly useless, didn't even offer pain killers until my son asked so he took him to my vet who immediately tripled his pain meds. He however couldn't come up with a definitive diagnosis so referred him to a university vet teaching hospital. After tests they said it was bone growths and will treat him with pain killers, Rimadyl and supplements. They ruled out surgery (I would assume age came into play there). He has been doing quite well and moving a lot better now and more like his old self.

Good luck.
Yes, OP, then I agree that it is worthwhile to do another bone biopsy to get a more definitive diagnosis. Personally, I would not want to amputate until I was satisfied that it was the only and/or best option.

That said, tripods adapt well and are able to have a normal full happy life.

Best wishes. Please let us know how it turns out and how he is doing.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
If there is any suspicion it is osteosarcoma, I would urge you to act quickly. Osteo is a very aggressive cancer and tumors can grow quite large, quite quickly. I know this from very sad experience with our loving Sadie, who went from a limp to euthanasia in 6 weeks. I could not believe how quickly the osteo tumor grew. I will keep my fingers crossed it is something far more treatable in your dog's case. Also want to echo others who say dogs adapt to having only 3 legs. It is quite amazing how quickly they adapt and how fast they can run on only 3 legs!

Old 12-21-2015, 05:38 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Just to say they have said there is a small chance it's a severe bone infection instead but we don't know as no diagnosis 100% yet!
In himself he is bright, playful, full appetite, shiny coat
I do know of a similar case that has turned out fine. My son's Dogo Argentino began limping and acting like her hip/back leg hurt. One of the possible diagnosis was bone cancer. The X-rays showed a "cloudiness" in the bone.
I believe she had blood test which showed no cancer, but was given a strong antibiotic. Her issue cleared up within a few days.
Bottom line is, the vet decided that she had an infection which had traveled from a small wound on her ear.
It has been about a month since this happened and she is fine now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs