Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 02:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times

Advertisements

I own a 4 year old Doberman and I'm wanting to get him a companion. Either another Doberman or a Weimaraner. As of right now, it's just me and Rebel. I have no family or children.

I work Mon-Fri 8-5. My backyard is fenced in and I have it set up where Rebel can go in/out of the house as he pleases while I'm at work.

I'm really wanting another puppy to raise. But my concern is if I get a puppy, what would I do with him while I'm at work? I did crate train Rebel but my father was alive while we were raising him so he never needed to be crated during the day. Just at night to house-train. The only way I see it is the puppy would have to be crated while I'm at work until he was old enough to be alone with Rebel. I could come home during lunch to let him out and get exercise.

Any suggestions or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 02:50 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Since you can come home at lunch. Go ahead & get the pup.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:23 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
Use babygates and designate a safe area for the puppy while you are gone. Puppies don't just make a mess, they can get bored quickly and get into trouble, like chewing on wires, etc. Kitchen, a place with tile floor works. Crating isn't necessary.

Until you are confident your new pup and older dog gets along, and stays out of trouble, without you, always lock him somewhere safe until you come home.

My concern would be your dog. Have he been around other dogs before? Does he have the patience to tolerate a hyper ball of fur who make need to learn his dog manners? The puppy may relentlessly pull on his tail, ear, pounce on him, mouth him, etc... be honest with your dog's limitation. If your dog lost his cool, that puppy will learn the hard way, with a good nip. Can you financially afford those kinds of mishaps?

I personally would recommend a dog closer to your dog's personality and age.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
I'd get an older female puppy, or a female close to a year in age, when she might hopefully less prone to make a complete pest of herself to Rebel and also would be (hopefully) housebroken. Have friends ever brought their dogs over to your place; and if so, how has Rebel reacted to the dogs?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Good advice already but may I offer my two cents on dog breed choice?

Nix the Weimaraner and get another Doberman. My best ever babysitter was my Doberman, when my son was little

Weimaranrers are hunting dogs, therefore roamers. They are sweet natured and smart, but they are not couch potatoes.

While your Dobe has no desire to climb the fence and escape, the Weimaraner might. They are also a lot more high energy, in their youth, and more likely to be chewers if that pent up energy doesn't have a release.

My farm neighbor had two Weimaranrers. Both were runners. The neighbors moved and left the 10 yr old Weimaraner with another neighbor. That dog still can't sit still. She has hock arthritis and still wanders the neighborhood, looking for food bowls to empty. The only difference is that she stays out of the fields.

They took the younger Weimaraner with them ---- the one that blasted right through the window screen because she didn't want to be in the house and they were trying to make a house dog out of her

JMHO, but I Would opt for the Dobe every time, over a Weimaraner, under your current living/working circumstances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs