Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:11 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times

Advertisements

He's barking because you shut him in the garage.
Untrained or trained, no dog wants to be shut in the garage. Nor shut in a crate.

Time to load them up, take them to the park or a big open field and exercise them so they go home and sleep.
Buy them some chews, scatter their food so they have to work for it.
You can do the above for a few days, goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:43 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Are these field labs?

In the short-term, I would suggest you exhaust the dogs. A tired dog = better-behaved one. Take them on several long walks a day. Hide some dog toys and/or treats and make a game of it. You can even try do some basic training.

When they aren't barking, for example, say "hush" and reward (hugs, praise, small treat, etc). Then when they bark, say "hush" and they should pick up on that pretty quickly. At least that should give you some peace.

Also, the basic sit command is pretty useful. Make them sit before they get food, water, just for the heck of it so you keep role as pack leader.
Nope, just family pets.

I will be spending next week scrubbing everything in the garage and the one has marked everything. He even owns the trash can.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Keeping him Caged! Cruel! Get them Both out & Exercise them! Live Tree they Peed on it Really? How does the dog suppose to know Not to pee on a Tree? Most likely they smell other dogs & animals pee.
Well I am not letting them destroy my house. It was a fake tree. Washing Christmas ornaments was a first for me.

My dog was fixed very early so he never marked. This one pees on everything.

I really don't have time to clean up behind them. I have four kids for Christmas, plus we have our own dog and 3 cats. My time is very limited. It is almost 6 pm and I still have to bake cookies for Santa, fix dinner and put together a bike. And that us before I have to do all my elf work after the kids go to bed.

I get that animals are a responsibility, but my kids come first and tonight is about them.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Drink more eggnog ----- babysitting the family dogs will be over in a few days.

Then never answer your phone again, when any holiday approaches, or was this a medical trip for one of the ?

I say that only half jokingly. There isn't much you can do when you know the dogs will regress when your brother and parents get home, except ------- drink more eggnog
I like the way you think. I already said I am going on vacation the next time they all do.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
True BUT these dogs Don't need Crated for 48 Hours No exercise! Best if the owners boarded them then they have a run to move around in.
They are getting exercise. I am uncrating them every two hours and I go out with them, to prevent the one from eating the house. I have a huge yard, 2 1/2 acres with a stream. It really is a lab paradise. I just do t gave time to be out with them all day.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:54 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Drink more eggnog -----
Give the dogs some nog.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
He's barking because you shut him in the garage.
Untrained or trained, no dog wants to be shut in the garage. Nor shut in a crate.

Time to load them up, take them to the park or a big open field and exercise them so they go home and sleep.
Buy them some chews, scatter their food so they have to work for it.
You can do the above for a few days, goodness.
No he barks at every single noise. I have 2 1/2 acres with a stream to exercise them. The activity level is not the problem. It is their manners.

I also have four kids for Christmas and my own pets. Really, my time is nonexistent. I can't get my own stuff done.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Then learn to say no. Didn't you know the temperament of these dogs before you agreed to babysit them?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Earplugs for all the humans, lots of eggnog for the adult humans. Countdown clock for when they get picked up.

You're a good person for babysitting them but saying no from now on may be a better thing for you and your family.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Big Differences in Field Labs & Show Labs. All Can be Pets But Field Labs are Way more Active! Show Labs are Couch Potatoes. When I was looking for my 1st Service Dog I was told to get a Lab with Both Field & Show Lines. Best of Both IF your lucky!!

Next time you are ask to dog sit say NO ...not fair to you or the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs