Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

My late Phoenix was deaf with limited vision since birth. I got her from the local humane society when she was 2. She was terrified of the world and when people would stop to see her she would run into the inside part of her run so she sat at the humane society for months. When I stopped to see her she came right up to me instead of hiding. I was not looking for a 3rd dog but I asked to take her into the play yard and all she wanted to do was cuddle with me she had me at that but no I did not adopt her that day as I did not want a 3rd dog.

For the next few days those hooks she put into me tugged so hard on my heart strings that I did some looking on the internet about deaf dogs and came across a group that at the time was called Aussie lads And they were a rescue for homozygous merle aussies which are often deaf,blind or some degree of one condition or both. I talked with one of the people and after doing so I felt that yes I could handle this dog thus I did adopt her.

Training was easy as she had good enough vision that hand signals worked well and she learned the fastest by watching my other dogs. I had a game I played with the other two and I would give a command or a hand signal for a trick and the first one to do it got a treat. Well as I did this I looked over and saw Phoenix doing what she saw the other two do and when I saw this I started using hand signals more and even if she was not first she got a treat. She was so excited about it that often she would be the first!

I did get a vibration collar so she could go on off leash walks in our off leash park and beach but soon stopped using it as she would not go far and she would keep me in sight and all it took was a hand signal and she would come right back.

One of my dogs had some issues with her so after trying to make it work for 1.5 yrs I rehomed Phoenix with my parents where she stayed until they died then she came back and spent the rest of her life with me. Even with my elderly parents she learned as my dad had her trained so she would not go out the gate from the back yard unless she had a leash on. She would stand and look out the gate but never took a step out.

By the time she came back to me she was such a different dog as she had stopped being so terrified and was actually very social and when we went to the dog park she greeted all the other dogs but spent her time visiting with people. She had gone from a very timid shy dog to being a social butterfly.

I am telling you and others reading this so that you understand deaf dogs can be fantastic pets and they can learned everything a hearing dog can. Most people did not know there was anything wrong with Phoenix. She was an awesome dog and so very very sweet. Even my vet who had asked me why I adopted a deaf dog when he first met her as he claimed they tended to be biters was in tears when that sad day I had to put the old girl down came as he claimed she was the sweetest happiest dog he ever met.

Being she was not a puppy I can not give advice expect you could contact Amazing Aussie in Arizona as I am sure they would be willing to give you some advice as they have taken in many many deaf puppies so are experts at dealing with them. Best of luck to you and I hope you see it as I did that God decided you could be trusted with such a special pup. You were given one of his special gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM

11 posts, read 9,774 times
Thanks, Lori and Foxywench. Everything is going well but the biting. I'll be more consistent in removing myself when she starts. Ice storm in Michigan today and she did not want to go out to relieve herself. I finally took an umbrella out with us and held it over while she was looking for the perfect spot. Small dogs certainly are different than larger dogs.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:52 PM

Oops, I missed your post, Dashdog. I found a very good website called "deaf dogs rock" and have been reading about training there. It's funny, because when I first got her all I could think about was the fact that she was deaf. Now she's just a puppy that needs training.

Thanks again, I love reading the success stories!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I'm the proud owner of a deaf dog. She's wonderful and I really don't treat her any differently. I use some hand signals for commands which she has learned. As stated by the previous poster, if she's in the backyard without me after dark, I flick the backyard light on and off quickly and she comes running in.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
we had a wonderful deaf Great Dane that adapted just fine, curious to know if your dog is white and/or has different color eyes?

Whisper...

Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks, Marino.

Ghengis, what a beautiful dog. I had a great dane about 9 years ago and love the breed. My puppy is white with black spots. Her eyes are just like a hearing dogs eyes. The humane society had her listed as a dalmation mix, but she's only ten pounds at 5 months old. I think she may be dachshund with Jack russel.

We had all hard toys for her (kongs, nylabones) and bought some soft toys yesterday- it's like she's another dog! She's playing with the soft toys and is just more relaxed and tires out more easily. Also, she went to the back door this evening and whined to go out and she pooped! We've not even had her two weeks yet and she's doing such a good job.

We have a pit mix and a schnauzer mix and they are not too happy with her yet. We have a ten year old shih tzu/german shorthair pointer mix and he is so tolerant of her. She cuddles up by or on him and he doesn't care a bit.

I can't figure out how to upload a picture. Can I just attach one?

Thanks again for the replies and support!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreadingabook View Post
Hello all,

We adopted a 4 month old puppy from our local humane society a week ago tomorrow. Within a day we figured out she is deaf. We have enrolled her in a puppy class that starts mid-January and have been reading all we can about training deaf dogs, but do any of you have any experience with a deaf puppy? The biggest problem so far is to get her to stop biting us and the other dogs. She cant hear them growl or us when we say "no!". We redirect with a bone which sometimes works, but oftentimes she prefers fingers!
You didn't mention the breed..but I've known many who actually purchased a puppy without any afore knowledge of it's deafness...They were always Dalmatians....My brother is just one example of such an ownership of such dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I have had limited succes with Herman, my twelve year old deaf dog. He came to us deaf, and we have, over the year, developed hand signals for come, wait, happy, walk, and a few others, but we got him a year ago, so I have no experience with the puppy side of deaf dogs.

I will say this though, deaf dogs seem to be of a sweeter temperament, and seem to bond stronger with their people from what I have read, and my limited experience with Herman.

He did startle a lot when we first got him, but now he seems to accept it is one of his people when picked up or touched from behind - although I generally try to ensure he sees me before I make physical contact.

Deafness and blindness in dogs is not as debilitating as it would be to humans, because their noses and sense of smell is the dog version of eyesight (there primary sensory experience). I have been fascinated learning about a dogs sense of smell and how that works. Pretty amazing!

Best of luck with the new pup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nipping ...I suggest going to the Family Dollar buy their brand of Ben Gay! Use it on Hands! Yours & other humans! Lightly! After a week you can stop. & use as Needed to remind him. Also rub it on Anything you don't want him to put in his mouth.
Good suggestions Katie1...Nipping is so common amongst pups..it's like tweeting in humans..But unfortunately you are not their mother dog who would correct ..but at least knowledge of taking in a deaf pup..OP has ability to learn to handle ( as a human)...But meanwhile OP's other dogs will correct things in doggy ways..They communicate amongst themselves !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notreadingabook View Post
Thanks all!

She's not my first puppy Regjna. I'm middle-aged and always have two or three dogs at a time. She makes number three, this time. Puppies do nip, but usually they can hear a strong "No!" or hear another dog growl when they bite too hard and she can't. She was driven up in a rescue wagon to Ann Arbor from one of the high kill shelters down south, so no background whatsoever. She was one of 40 puppies that came in. She's a little pistol, too. She definitely has dachshund in her and I think jack russell, too, but she has markings like a dalmation. I've always had bigger dogs - pitbull, great dane, GSP, doberman mix, to name a few - and she seems to have quite a different kind of energy. In just a week she knows she at least has to pretend to pee when she goes outside, before she can come back in. Oftentimes 3 minutes later she goes on the floor. Again, no doesn't work, so if we're on the wood floor I stomp my foot to get her attention. I know it's all puppy stuff, which is stressful anyhow (at least to me), but the deafness adds another layer. With all that said, I love her dearly and am glad she landed with us.

Anyhow, thank you all for the advice and if you celebrate Christmas have a wonderful day!
No!! TY for seeking other inputs and insights..That's such a positive thing....My bets are your new deaf pup will turn out to be a great pet..and a very good human companion to boot!!

Please keep us updated on progression with you found furry friend/family member

Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I wish you luck and happy/goodtimes with your puppy

Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 AM

Thanks Lyndarn and Dude!

She's still doing great and is having her morning nap right now. She's making good eye contact and we're signing to her and the other dogs.

I'm sad because I've been off two weeks and have to go back to work Monday. We've crated her plenty since we've had her, but my heart is slightly breaking because I don't want her left alone for so long. We'll take turns coming home and giving her a lunch time potty break and walk, but still...maybe employers should start offering a six week puppy leave.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we had a wonderful deaf Great Dane that adapted just fine, curious to know if your dog is white and/or has different color eyes?

Whisper...
I have a deaf Dane as well. Her name is Nilla Wafer, and she's almost 4 years old. I got her from a stupid breeder and I had no idea she was deaf when I purchased her. After one day of having her I was pretty sure she was deaf. I squeaked a ball in her ear, jingled change, and shook my car keys, and she did not react. I then took her to the vet, who did a thorough professional examination. He squeaked a ball in her ear, jingled change, and shook car keys, and decided she was deaf He wrote me a letter declaring she was unfit for sale in case I wanted to return her to the breeder.

I carefully considered what I wanted to do. I have a hearing harlequin female who is now almost 6 years old, so I didn't need her as a watchdog. I was worried about what this backyard breeder might do to such a defective puppy, and I had owned Danes for over 20 years. Who better to keep a deaf Dane than I? I thought we could walk this unusual path together.

I'm very glad I kept her. I had her BAER tested by a doggie neurologist to determine the extent of her hearing loss. She has 0% hearing, which is unusual for a dog with so much pigment. Her vision is normal, however. She is such a clown, and definitely a diva girl as well. I have taught her hand signals, and she has learned faster than any of my other Danes. She is wonderful, and her big sister Infinity is her best friend. The feeling is mutual.
Attached Thumbnails
New deaf puppy-friends-life-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs