Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM

64 posts, read 83,536 times

Advertisements

So very sorry for your loss. You did the absolute right thing. It was her time and she is not suffering any more.

I am a strong believer in letting an animal go when it is their time. I became so after I spent a fortune trying to keep an 18 year old dying cat alive because I have never been through that before and a vet took advantage of that.

None of my babies have had to languish in pain and go through futile medical procedures at the end of their lives since I lost Persephone.

Be good to yourself, you did the right thing. Hopefully when you have had time to grieve you will bring another precious baby into your life, there are so many good dogs who need homes in the world.

For me it was 7 months before I felt the need to have a dog by my side again but for everyone it's different.

Hugs to you from me and Miss Cozy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:49 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
All you need to know is that a good owner puts his dog down when it is time so that it doesn't suffer anymore.
This is true, and we all try to remind ourselves of that when that time comes, but for some of us, it doesn't make us feel any less than a murderer for quite some time after it's done.

It's taken me two months, but I've finally come to grips with putting my cat down in early November. I know why I did it: That was my best friend, she was elderly, and there was no way I was going to have her be in pain just so that I could try to play God and keep her alive longer, trying to find some miracle that would never come.

OP, you will feel this way...and it's totally normal. You didn't murder your dog, your gave your dog mercy.

As for the wonder when looking out at their graves, that's also normal. I used to get mad at the snow for having the audacity to fall on my other pet's grave that I had to create in 2013. Then I told myself it was a blanket for her, and that she was alright now. No more pain.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,068 times
Charles22 & Cozzy & Mommy

Your words of soothing really made me feel better. Thank you! Only us pet's owner and pet lover would know how it is they touch our lives and the memories they left for us. I am not regret that I spent too much money on my baby because each day she lived left another footstep in my heart and I am grateful for that.

Maybe days or even months from now, I will look back and thank myself for letting her go in peace. Until then, I will let my grieving floats...

Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,535,495 times
I do not know if this will help or not but I myself have said good bye to many dogs and while it is NEVER easy I have always known in my heart that it is the right thing to do and the last act of love I can grant my dog. I have not felt guilty about it but I have a sister that felt guilt big time even though it was time as her dog would have suffered.

I work in a hospital and the other night in the ICU we had a patient in multi system failure that was going to die no matter what we did and was on life support while we waited for the family to come to gripes with it. That night the priest was in the room saying a blessing he left then turned around and went back in and I could hear him telling the family that no they are not playing God if they remove her from the life support and make her comfort care so she can die in a peaceful painless manner. He explained we all die and when we do it is Gods decision. That God had decided it was time for their loved one to die and and that she was dieing right now and all we were doing with life support was prolonging her death. I wanted to go in their and hug that priest as too often that is all we are doing is prolonging death not life.At the end of life no one should feel guilty about allowing comfort care or removing life support as it is God that decides when we die.

I hope you can let go of any guilty feelings and instead celebrate the fact you had this great dog in your life. I know while my late dogs are not here in physical form they do live on in my memories and my stories of them.When I do tell a story about them they are right next to me for those few minutes. I have loved every dog I have owned and would not trade knowing all of them to have any of them live as long as I do. Each dog has been a very special gift and while I miss each one and my heart breaks at each loss it has been so worth the pain. I have learned never waste time 2nd guessing end of life decisions as death is just as much apart of life as birth. I hope you can move on but the grief will always be there but it will change too and be a part of your life as your dog was a part of your life and imprinted on your heart forever.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 AM

64 posts, read 83,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngthoangyen View Post
Charles22 & Cozzy & Mommy

Your words of soothing really made me feel better. Thank you! Only us pet's owner and pet lover would know how it is they touch our lives and the memories they left for us. I am not regret that I spent too much money on my baby because each day she lived left another footstep in my heart and I am grateful for that.

Maybe days or even months from now, I will look back and thank myself for letting her go in peace. Until then, I will let my grieving floats...

I'm so glad I could say something that will make the hurt a little better, among the many wonderful people who have also shared their stories.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 9,068 times
Dashdog - I'd like to thank you for sharing your story about life and death and when it is the right time to take off life support for your loved one. I agree with what you said and yes it did made me feel better. Yesterday I was looking over all of my albums trying to look for one that I remember I have for Money, my passed away dog and I couldn't find it. The disappointment at that time was unbearable as I know this is the last resource I have and those many pictures I could never go back in time to take it. I prayed that one day I could find Money's album, if that ever happened it would be the greatest gift she left for me. Surprisingly my sister walked over and said here it is. It was in her room all these years. I cannot even explain how happy I was knowing there she is. Looking back at the old time when she was young. I watched her grew old. We grew old together... 16 years seem to be so short. But like you said instead of thinking I lost her, I should live in those good memories. Thinking over I comforting myself saying I'm fortunate enough to have many years.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngthoangyen View Post
Dashdog - I'd like to thank you for sharing your story about life and death and when it is the right time to take off life support for your loved one. I agree with what you said and yes it did made me feel better. Yesterday I was looking over all of my albums trying to look for one that I remember I have for Money, my passed away dog and I couldn't find it. The disappointment at that time was unbearable as I know this is the last resource I have and those many pictures I could never go back in time to take it. I prayed that one day I could find Money's album, if that ever happened it would be the greatest gift she left for me. Surprisingly my sister walked over and said here it is. It was in her room all these years. I cannot even explain how happy I was knowing there she is. Looking back at the old time when she was young. I watched her grew old. We grew old together... 16 years seem to be so short. But like you said instead of thinking I lost her, I should live in those good memories. Thinking over I comforting myself saying I'm fortunate enough to have many years.
I am so glad you found that album. We lost some dog photos when my husband had an external hard drive go bad. I was so upset. This was in the days before "the cloud". Nowadays, I back up important stuff like that to Dropbox.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,295,665 times
I believe in putting any pet down when it has a serious illness. You or the vet has know idea if your pet is suffering any pain even when heavily medicated.
We all love our pets so why would we knowingly let them suffer.

Keeping a suffering pet alive is just selfish on the part of the owner.

We all know that even the most healthy animals are only going to be with us for 15-20 years tops and most agree it is OK to put them down when they get real old because they might be suffering so why not put them down anytime they might be suffering in pain?

There is always another animal looking for somebody to give it some love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs