Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

We have to remember the bone structure of little puppies and keep them safe from over exercising and jumping from beds, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3144851&type=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We have to remember the bone structure of little puppies and keep them safe from over exercising and jumping from beds, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3144851&type=3
This is a great website with an age appropriate exercise chart for those interested:

https://www.puppyculture.com/appropriate-exercise.html

Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,853 times
While I think it's good to warn people of possible damage, as some like to over do it and certain breeds have more risk......they should keep in mind this is a 2 week old puppy. What 2 week old puppy is capable of doing any of those things? Puppies can barely get around at that age. They can't run, jump, use stairs or exercise.
People should apply common sense and also consider their dog. If you have a pup from a large breed of who has a family history of orthopedic issues it will be a serious consideration. Again common sense, high jumps and hard impacts, could be dangerous for a little pup.
I think anyone with a high energy puppy knows what hell it'd be for the pup to stick to "5 minutes per month". Young pups still sleep a lot, even higher energy breeds, once they reach 3 months they start sleeping less. They need mental and physical activity.
With my pup of a bit more energy she would run around at 8 weeks old, play with other pups, chase toys, all that sort of thing. At 3 months she would do the same, she plays and runs at will. If a pup is tired they will lay down and nap. She also did about 10 minutes light flirtpole use and 10-15 mins of agility training. Mainly to introduce her to it, she took right to it, get her learning commands in a fun environment but it was still some physical activity. At 4 months she was introduced to some light weights and harness acclimation. She has excellent hips and no orthopedic issues.
My moderate energy pup didn't need as much, but as a pup she was more active compared to adulthood. She too ran around and played at will, not a timed limit. She also played with my friends dogs and took short walks. She basically did all of what my other pup did, minus agility work but addition of walking. She has good hips, no DJD and at 13yrs old no arthritis and still gets around like a young dog.
5 mins per month would be extremely limiting amount for per day activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs