Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 06:01 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times

Advertisements

We have two dogs and we would never bring them over uninvited.
We do ask, if we are visiting family, who's house we can stay at while still bringing the dogs, but we don't stay at homes where people wouldn't be comfortable having the dogs.

We always open our home to others who have dogs, but like above, we specifically tell whomever is coming over their dog(s) is welcome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:35 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My dogs show up on invitation only. Back when both my border collies were alive, when the weather was right I would bring them with me, but they would stay in the car. They were crate trained and were perfectly happy to lounge on upholstered seats (usually with a bone) while I socialized. They preferred it as they had some separation anxiety issues.

I still have one of the border collies, but she is very old and I keep her at home. My Catahoula and my kelpie mix are not car dogs (at least not now - maybe when they're older and calmer). Plus, with the extreme nature of Colorado weather, I don't feel as comfortable setting out for the day and planning to leave my dogs in the car. It just changes too quickly here.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:16 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
That was rude.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Want to know if I'm in the wrong here, but would you ever bring your dog over someone's house without first asking?

We recently bought a house, and due the holidays, decided to have a few family parties there. Well, a couple family members brought their dogs without asking first...to stay overnight.

Well, it really miffed me that nobody asked us if it was OK to do so.

To be honest, I was a little mad, and after this weekend I politely asked that no dogs would be allowed in the house from now on....which it was agreed to.

So, am I wrong to be a little upset about this?
You are not wrong to be upset at people who bring their animals over un announced. while they may love their dogs its rather rude and disrespectful to expect every one else to share that affection.
If friend or family had the notion that inviting them was a default invitation to their menagerie they wouldnt be getting too many invites in the future.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
People should ask first. Follow up nicely with those who didn't and ask them to make other arrangements for their dog.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I would say it is rude and very inappropriate. Even in my case, where all those with dogs are always told to bring them along. My backyard, which luckily is very large, has a few times, looked like a dog park, with my two malamutes, a husky, a lab and a mix. We had fun, they had fun.
And we even had a "pickup party" the next day in the back yard.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:34 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Yes, it's rude. Similarly to how you invite a friend to your wedding or an RSVP event and they brought a plus one without asking or notifying you.

If the dog steals my dogs' toys, food or become a nuisance in my home, invited or not, I would kick both guest and dog out.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
its incredibly rude, my dogs are my family, my life, but they are not OTHER peoples...if im going somewhere unless the invite specifically says "oh and you can bring the dogs" I assume no dogs.
the exception is of course my service dog...but even then I still remind them I have a service dog and make sure it wont be an issue...if it is, I don't go, its that simple. my issues and my dogs are not the problem or responsibility of other people and it would be rude to assume as such.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Want to know if I'm in the wrong here, but would you ever bring your dog over someone's house without first asking?

We recently bought a house, and due the holidays, decided to have a few family parties there. Well, a couple family members brought their dogs without asking first...to stay overnight.

Well, it really miffed me that nobody asked us if it was OK to do so.

To be honest, I was a little mad, and after this weekend I politely asked that no dogs would be allowed in the house from now on....which it was agreed to.

So, am I wrong to be a little upset about this?
It depends on the history between you and your family members with dogs. Have you previously welcomed them overnight without hesitation? And thoroughly enjoyed their presence? If so they may have assumed their dogs would be welcomed in your new house. Personally I would still ask under these circumstances but others may not.

Beyond that, very rude. But I wouldn't waste my time being even a little upset. Some people consider their pets like kids and act accordingly. Accept their idiosyncrasy and move on. You'll never change how they regard their pets. But you've learned how their attachment to their pets may affect future gatherings like vacations and family gatherings at others' homes so be aware and plan accordingly. You've set your new ground rules so all should be fine from now on.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I would probably not but I wouldn't want anyone to come to my home unannounced (so I would do others the same courtesy) unless maybe I felt really close to them. My ex came over a few times with no warning...pissed me off. On the other hand the guy I used to date that I have had feelings for did that too so I wasn't mad but I was still like "oh ****" I was happy he came to see me but I really wasn't prepared.

It would be even worse if someone brought their dog to my home because one of my dogs can be anti-social with his own kind and I live in an apartment atm so we're not allowed to have visiting dogs and I respect the majority of my landlords (kinda sucks because I've been thinking about dog sitting for cash) It might be bad to bring my other dog to someone else's home because even though she's my sweetie she can be upset with some people. Dogs in general I think can be nervous in new surroundings so to me this wouldn't be about just the hosts but the dogs as well. You have to know that the dog is going to be comfortable around that person..even if the dog is friendly to people in general you can't just stick them in a new situation and expect that they're not going to pee on the floor or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs