Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:24 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,877,448 times

Advertisements

I have been searching PetFinder and PetAdopt for a new dog. I see many that have been rescued in and are being fostered in southern states. I live in New England.

So, if I ask about (apply for) adopting one of these out-of-state dogs and the group has it shipped up here to New England, what happens if the dog doesn't like me or if I decide he is not right for me?

I don't understand how this out-of-state adoption works. Can someone please explain. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 PM

19,708 posts, read 11,961,506 times
Most rescues will not ship dogs. There are a few, more likely breed specific rescues, that will work with volunteer transports. There are also some shelters in the south that work with rescues/shelters in the NE, transporting batches of dogs to the NE rescue groups. My local rescue takes in 20-25 dogs at a time from a rural southern shelter where there are not enough adopters for all the dogs and they were euthanizing many adoptable dogs. We do not ship dogs, nor do we adopt out of state.

If you have a particular breed you like, your chances of getting a dog from out of state is probably better. Try checking with local pet stores, particularly pet boutiques, groomers and vets. Often their clients have to rehoming their pets for varied reasons.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,267,192 times
Depending on each rescue, the general rules are they prefer you come down to meet the dog AFTER approving your application. If the meeting went well, you either get to take the dog home with you or you go home first and they will ship it (at your expense) to you. Some rescues skip the meeting as it can be difficult for potential adopters, so they might bring the dog to you with a volunteer who will assess you and your home right there and then. If it works out, they give you the dog.

Fyi, it's hard to know if you and the dog are the right fit until 2-3 weeks later. A short meet and greet gives both sides an initial evaluation but that can change over time. If things don't work out, they require you to send the dog back at your expense.

Although there are many legitimate rescues who do this kind of adoption, there are many who do this for the money. I know of one in South FL, this lady who is a rescue and travels from state to state, collecting dogs and adopting them out as she goes. She charges a very high fee, about $500 minimum, some very aggressive dogs who shouldn't be adopted, and because she moves a lot, adopters have trouble locating her to sue her. She was even banned by several counties here. I would do all my research about the organization before starting the process. Make sure you can find them and hold them accountable should they adopt out a sick or aggressive dog to you.

Have you checked your local shelter? Were you not able to find a dog you like?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,207,896 times
My experience with a rescued Malamute in Reno and I'm from Idaho was an agreement that if it didn't work out, I would bring him back to Reno. However, I already had a Malamute and she was not my first, so I was familiar with the breed, well aware of the need of a great sucking vacuum cleaner, that I would have a fur everywhere twice a year, and that they needed daily grooming when blowing their coats (twice a year).

And I spent three days there with the lady fostering the dog, and we took them to dog parks, walked them together in the country, on city streets and even took them to an outside seating restaurant to see how well they got along and I was able to see how well the male and my female got along in public with other dogs and people. Even to see how they walked on a single leash with a tether between the two of them and how well they sat in the backseat of the PU truck together.

Not a cheap trip, but to this day, it was well worth it....

Old 01-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post

Have you checked your local shelter? Were you not able to find a dog you like?
I live in a semi-rural area on the VT/NH border. One shelter in the area currently has 2 dogs. Another has 5. They are all big dogs.

There are also some rescue organizations, but like I said, many are advertising dogs that are currently in southern states. One rescue org nearby (which I wouldn't go to because of their ridiculous adoption agreement) charges $500 to adopt a dog. I guess a lot of that must be transportation cost.

I am retired and want a small to medium-sized companion who will keep me laughing, snuggle when I need hugs, and remind me when it's time for MY daily walk :-)

Old 01-01-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Most rescues will not ship dogs. There are a few, more likely breed specific rescues, that will work with volunteer transports. There are also some shelters in the south that work with rescues/shelters in the NE, transporting batches of dogs to the NE rescue groups. My local rescue takes in 20-25 dogs at a time from a rural southern shelter where there are not enough adopters for all the dogs and they were euthanizing many adoptable dogs. We do not ship dogs, nor do we adopt out of state.

If you have a particular breed you like, your chances of getting a dog from out of state is probably better. Try checking with local pet stores, particularly pet boutiques, groomers and vets. Often their clients have to rehoming their pets for varied reasons.
So are you saying the dogs are transported north FIRST? And then listed for adoption by the rescue organization in the northern state? Am I seeing listings of dogs that the northern organization already knows is coming up here?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,548,925 times
Also put the word out in your social network as to what you want. A friend of a friend of a friend may have lost their home and now must give away their dog(s) because the shelter/mom/etc won't let them keep them.

Unfortunately, the economy is not getting any better, and there are more of those situations happening each day. ):

Old 01-01-2016, 08:02 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,540,718 times
I did an out of state adoption. I live in California and adopted a puppy from a Texas shelter after seeing her photo on Facebook. I was beginning to look for a new dog to add to my other 2 and really did not want a puppy but the minute I saw her photo it screamed I am your dog. Forget that she was a puppy and I did not want a puppy my gut said she was mine. I called the shelter found out that yes I could adopt her but had to have her out by a certain date so contacted a person I knew via this forum to see if she would be willing to go get her out and board her until I could get to Texas a week later. She agreed and her vet agreed to board her. I flew to Texas a week later and brought my new dog, Chaos home. Bonus was I got to meet my C-D friend and it was great!

What ever it was that caused me to feel that she was my dog when I saw that photo was right,she is my dog and 4 years later I still feel that gut feeling that screamed that was so right on. I never even thought what if we are not a good match as I just knew we would be and if there were issues we would work them out as once I get a dog that is it. When there are issues I fix them.

Years ago I adopted a puppy from a Petsmart event that I was at. That poor puppy, Jazz had huge fear issues and was very reactive but rather then take her back I kept her and it was a lot of work but she became my once in a life time dog. She was so worth all that hard work and she is the one dog that I miss the most. 14.5 yrs was just not enough time with her.

My Silken Windhound, Dazzle came from a breeder in Washington. She asked me what I wanted in a puppy and I told her so then she sent me photos of the puppies she felt would work for me and told me to rate them in the order I would choose them and she would take a look. I put Jessie as #1 as once again there was just something about him that came through in his photos and told me he was the one. The breeder took a look at my list and she said that Jessie was probably the best one for me. She offered to meet me in San Francisco at the home of another windhound breeder and brought Jessie and my 2nd and 3rd choices.When I met them it was Jessie who stole my heart and went home with me. I renamed him Dazzle as he Dazzles people with his elegant beautiful being.

So my experiences with choosing dogs before I meet them has been positive but as I said I never even think what if we are not a good match as I know what putting work into a difficult dog can become. Thank you my sweet Jazz for that lesson!

Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 PM

19,708 posts, read 11,961,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So are you saying the dogs are transported north FIRST? And then listed for adoption by the rescue organization in the northern state? Am I seeing listings of dogs that the northern organization already knows is coming up here?
Some in rescue do "pull" dogs from Southern shelters and transfer them to the NE where there is a shortage of small to medium dogs for adoption. I would say yes, the dogs would be in th NE before they are listed.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,267,192 times
I'm not sure if they transport to where you are, but feel free to contact Palm Beach County shelter and Peggy Adams Rescue in Palm Beach. Not too long ago they transported dogs to different states, either they were already adopted or going to be adopted, the transport was free for the organization who had a very generous donor that paid for the flight, etc. We have TONS of small dogs here, including poodles, who need good homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs