Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 09:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times

Advertisements

I love dogs. I lost one of them a couple weeks ago and it has hit me pretty hard. By the time I got to her it was way too late to help her. I could only perform the final kindness we are able to give them. I had to let her go. I held her on my lap and whispered to her that it was ok ok to leave us and how much I love her. She died there in my arms. My problem is that I am second guessing what the outcome would have been if had acted sooner and got her to a vet before it was critical. I feel I have left her down. On that last day, I was at work and I got a call at work that she had collapse. I know she suffered until I got to her. She could barely lift her head as I carried her to the car. She died with my arms around her letting her know how much she was loved. It wounds me to think about her in pain and alone. I wondered if I could have saved her if I had acted sooner. I feel that I should have done more. Hug your fur babies tonight. Make sure that they know you love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 10:01 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
She was not alone... you were there holding her. Sorry for your loss...

Old 12-17-2020, 05:40 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,333 times
No matter the circumstances, it is always so easy, and so painful and (in my opinion) unnecessary, to second-guess your decisions during your beloved pet's final months, weeks, days, hours. It's just an awful part of the package. To me, it sounds like you did the best that you could - you rushed to her as soon as you knew of her collapse, and you delivered the "final kindness," a release from suffering (as you yourself wrote) as quickly as you could. You did well and it is beyond doubt that she knew that you loved her. That is all that will matter.

It's so sad, and I think everyone on this forum has been there. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 AM

1,579 posts, read 951,280 times
I am so sorry for your loss. They bring us so much joy in their relatively short lives. Every time I lost a pet, I've second guessed myself too. Could I have done more, what if I did this instead of that, did I make the right call... I think it's just part of the grieving process. You loved Tessa and I am sure she had a happy life with you. And you did what you thought was right at the time, you did the best you could do with the knowledge you had. And in the end, you were there for her when it mattered most. She passed away with love. That's the best any of us can hope for in the end.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:32 AM

4,874 posts, read 2,678,239 times
the above post says it all..R.I.P. Tessa

Old 12-17-2020, 03:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Very sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs