Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,359,846 times

Advertisements

A total of six thru my adulthood.
With the recent passing of my King Charles.. I am now down to one pet. After this there will be no more.
I commend the folks who care for these extended family delights.

I just cannot shed one more tear in their passing.. So when my little Yorkie.. Leaves us.. My heart will find milder ways to help pets. Maybe pet sit for a neighbor or donate funds to our spca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 AM

285 posts, read 196,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Technically, I didn't own any of these but their lived with me or I knew the situation well enough to know temperament and causes.

Cocker Spaniel: Sweet dog, but too much maintenance. My grandmother and her sister owned one. Actually, my grandmother's was the son of her sister's dog. They weren't neglected and their ears stank. Her sister's dog got a ton of cancer and had to be put down at 11. Never again.

Beagle: Really neurotic annoying BAD dogs. My uncle's exwife owned one. He would bite the children for no reason. I witnessed him, and was bitten, just snap for no reason. He was very spoiled and wasn't from a shelter. He had no past that made him be bad. I also had a neighbor who had a beagle. He was also spoiled and died falling out the window trying to attack a person walking past the house. He often did this, but I guess the window finally broke. I don't know why anyone would want one. Unless you kept it as an outdoor only dog.

Shih Tzu: My ex had one. It was an ok dog. A bit too fat and ugly for me to want one, though. Also, while friendly enough they tend to pick one person and ignore the rest. Also, noisy and destructive. Wouldn't want one.

Yorkie: My mom had one for a time. Very spoiled. Mean and would bite. I might a few other Yorkies and they were also biters. Not very good at house training. Surprisingly destructive for the size. A very cat like dog imo.

Pekingese: Many of my neighbors had these. If from a good breeder great and beautiful dog. If not, crazy dog who will bite it's tail off. I would buy one in the future.

Pug: I've known many people with them. They can be mean and have health issues. Some are friendly. I wouldn't want one. Noisy and unhealthy.
Not much of a dog person, huh?

I've never had a beagle, but I love them. I've never seen one be mean ever. Same with pugs. They are funny and very sweet. I'd consider either of those two breeds if I were to get another dog.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,494,155 times
Dobermans. I am absolutely in love with them. They are SO smart, loyal, loving & absolutely beautiful. Our first was probably mixed with another breed, as she lived to age 14. The purebreds have been inbred so much, so many problems...gastric torsion, various cancers. One of ours had been rescued by marshalls when they went out on an eviction & they heard crying. She was chained to a dog house, both front legs broken from beatings. When we got her, she looked like a skeleton, & looked that way for a long time, even though we fed her a lot...she was that malnourished...you wouldn't think that a dog who was so abused would ever trust people again, but she loved us & got healthy, & loved to play ball. Then after 5 years, she got lymphoma, it seemed so unfair. We have a young girl now, she is an amazing athlete, really has some issues, but is just a sweetheart. I'm in love. All our Dobies are/were rescues.

My husband brought a Pomeranian rescue home when our daughter was 5. He had a heart condition & was going to be euthanized "to keep the breed pure". That little guy lived to be 16, was a great friend to our daughter, & had the attitude of a big dog...he really thought he could kick the Dobie's butts. If I could get another Pom like him, I would, rescue only.

My husband had a Great Dane-Weimariner mix when we met. She was all black, the size of a pony, & it was love at first sight. She was calm yet protective, a joy to take on walks. She was already pretty old when we met, & died at age 14. I still miss her.

I have had 2 rescue little dogs, both from the pound. My first was the first dog I ever owned, I wasn't allowed pets as a child. She was a mix, I think of Pomeranian, chihuahua & some kind of terrier. I got her while I was in college, & she was a great first dog, no behavior isues at all, a great running, hiking, camping partner, was able to adapt to my tumultuous life & give me comfort & stability through hard times. She lived to age 14. She was my special girl.

I currently have a chihuahua-Schipperke mix that has been with us for 8 years. She is a little toughy, doesn't take any grief from the Dobie, & is a loyal & loving friend...very stubborn, too, but in a good way.

I miss all of them that are no longer with us, especially Justy, she was my heart dog. I cannot imagine life without dogs.

When you get a dog, please consider a rescue...there are so many great dogs, all sizes & types, that need homes & will reward you with unconditional love.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-07-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,433,239 times
Pomeranians are dogs that don't realize they're small. They're feisty! They are my favorite breed of dog.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 13 days ago)

1,970 posts, read 3,305,927 times
I have to read all the posts when i have a few more minutes.

I'm a true dog-lover. LOVE them, don't want to be without one. To me they FILL life. I never had children, and the loss of my last dog still hurts. It will be a year later this month.

My first dog was a Toy Manchester Terrier - 'bought for me' at age 5/6 because my sister went away to college and i was heartbroken! She was more my mom's dog - because i guess my mom did everything for her. She was very hyper and not a real cuddler. Of course i still loved her lots. She lived to like age 15. They (my parents) had to have her euthanized due to her just not being able to function anymore due to old age. I would not choose that breed again due to the hyper-ness/nervousness. She did not do well in the car, and i like a dog that likes to ride!

My next dog was a Cocker Spaniel. The first dog i got "on my own," tho i did have a boyfriend at the time so we kind of got her together. She was given to me by a woman i worked with who bred her female. She was sweet, but stubborn. Another that wasn't a snuggler! She was adorable and loving - when she wanted to be. She'd crawl into your lap, but don't put her there yourself! She was lots of fun. When i got married (to the boyfriend), we got another Cocker Spaniel. She was a DOLL. Sweet, loving, cuddly, just amazing. They had so much fun together. But - then the divorce. I took my baby, and he kept the second. We made sure they had lots of playdates at first, but of course that had to end. I wouldnt get another of this breed due to the ear problems that mine had, and the terrible amount of grooming needed. I'm not a clean freak at all either, but the hair all over is just unreal. I don't want another long-haired breed at all. I'm too lazy She lived to be 14 and had to be euthanized due to heart disease.

My next dog - the love of my life - was a mix - Boxer/American Bulldog, 75 lbs. as an adult, given to me at 8 weeks by a great woman whose two purebred dogs - her's and her b/f's - had accidently bred. She was FULL of personality and love. I dont think she could ever be matched... for me, we were perfect together. She was tough as a pup and young dog - very bully and full of energy - but she was so smart and SO intuitive. I could not have asked for more. She wanted to please and was so much fun; she filled my life with joy and love. She got cancer at age 14. She lived a year and a half with it, without any treatment but natural remedies and love and TLC. (no suffering) She did not want to leave. And - of course - i didnt want her to.

I now have a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff). Not my choice, my b/f's. And OMG... we thought we did research, but what a helluva dog. A handful. OCD, powerful, one track mind, energy PLUS.. of course she's only 10 mos. old. But right now i'd say i would not choose another, unless i had a huge farm and a fenced in yard. We have over and acre and are working on fencing in part of it. He walks her up to 5 miles a day, but she needs and wants to RUN. She is lovable and can be sweet, but she has a lot of trouble relaxing. No puppy naps etc.! I thought Mastiffs liked to rest... maybe as she ages... wish me luck...

Old 10-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 13 days ago)

1,970 posts, read 3,305,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
It's probably best to get a dog locally, these days, a shelter or rescue would be the first place I'd look for a puppy.

This is good advice!
So true. Many, many breeds have their own rescues nowadays too.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,535,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
Not much of a dog person, huh?

I've never had a beagle, but I love them. I've never seen one be mean ever. Same with pugs. They are funny and very sweet. I'd consider either of those two breeds if I were to get another dog.
Beagles are wonderful dogs. They are not for everyone, but it's not fair or accurate to call them bad or neurotic dogs. I've been involved with beagle rescue for years, and only a handful of dogs have had any sort of aggression issues.

Beagles should absolutely be indoor dogs, and I never trust one off leash. They are scent hounds and will follow their noses. The vast majority of beagles I've met and owned have been friendly, happy, goofy dogs.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM

285 posts, read 196,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Beagles are wonderful dogs. They are not for everyone, but it's not fair or accurate to call them bad or neurotic dogs. I've been involved with beagle rescue for years, and only a handful of dogs have had any sort of aggression issues.

Beagles should absolutely be indoor dogs, and I never trust one off leash. They are scent hounds and will follow their noses. The vast majority of beagles I've met and owned have been friendly, happy, goofy dogs.
That's why I love them! I would probably get one if I ever get another dog. Last week I was at an event with my dog and there was the sweetest little beagle there. He was old and his back legs were in one of those doggy wheelchair carts. As I was walking towards him he looked up at me and I just had to stop and bend down and pet him. He was so sweet and just staring into my eyes. I stopped by and visited him several times while I was there.

I have a dachshund and they are probably my favorite. I'd get another one for sure. Like beagles, they are just funny and know how to make you laugh. I swear my dog plays games with me to amuse me.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,535,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
That's why I love them! I would probably get one if I ever get another dog. Last week I was at an event with my dog and there was the sweetest little beagle there. He was old and his back legs were in one of those doggy wheelchair carts. As I was walking towards him he looked up at me and I just had to stop and bend down and pet him. He was so sweet and just staring into my eyes. I stopped by and visited him several times while I was there.

I have a dachshund and they are probably my favorite. I'd get another one for sure. Like beagles, they are just funny and know how to make you laugh. I swear my dog plays games with me to amuse me.
Awww, how sweet! They are great little dogs. We also have a sheltie/dachshund mix. He's a great little dog too.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:16 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,882,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
1. Boxers - Great dog if you are high energy person. Nice watch dog yet great with kids. Loves it inside or outside.
2. Great Dane - Really good friend with mainly a bluff as watch dog. Would only get a dog this size if you are WILLING to spend A LOT of time training it and PLEASE walk it on a short leash. No way to control a great dane on retractable leashes. However, very sad as they get older due to hip dysplasia. Not sure I would want a dog this big again as very difficult to transport comfortably near end of life. Dog definitely suffers for being this big. (Can need to find mobile vet to deal with putting this down comfortably.)
A few points RE: Great Danes: I have owned the breed for a quarter of a century now, and have had seven total. Right now I have a 6 1/2 year old harlequin female and a 4 1/2 year old deaf fawnequin female. Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT prone to hip dysplasia. None of my Danes have ever had the disease. Molosser breeds such as Mastiffs, Neopolitan Mastiffs, Cane Corsos, and Dogue De Bordeaux breeds are very prone, as well as other breeds such as Labs and German Shepherds. They are more prone due their heavy bone structure combined with massive weight. But large size alone does not make a dog likely to have hip dysplasia. I don't think the dog suffers from their size at all. As with all breeds, the owner must control their weight. My 6 1/2 year old girl has developed arthritis, but with a combination of twice weekly walks, a low dose of Meloxicam, and controlled diet, she prances around like a puppy. And training is essential for any dog. I have found Danes to be extremely easy to train. They want to please their owners. The most important things to teach them is to potty outside, not to jump up on people and not to counter surf. The rest takes care of itself

As for the retractable leashes, those things are the devil incarnate. No one should use them, even with tiny dogs, because it's impossible to retract them quickly enough to keep dogs out of trouble. They also tangle and snap easily. With my Danes, they each have 2' nylon webbed leads that I use when I walk them separately, and when I'm walking them together, I use a thick 6' leather lead, with them attached by a 6" leather coupler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs