Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 04:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
All our dogs over the years have been rescues so most are brand X mutts, but we did adopt two purebred German Shepherds at 8 1/2 years old and 12+ years old, a Golden Retriever, a Royal Standard Poodle, and a Shetland Sheepdog.

Their personalities were all different than the standards for the breed! I loved them all, but my favorite was a black mutt with long legs, a short body, a lab head and Irish Setter type hair. She was funny looking but my heart dog. I miss her still... 20 years after she left this earth.
This makes me wonder if everyone has a "heart" dog that stands out from the rest? I know we do, our little sweetheart that we had to put down this summer in June. She was an amazing dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
"Ace" Doberman (from breeder)
"Sadie" Golden Retriever (from Humane Society)
"Baron" Rottweiler (from breeder)
"Chance" GSD/Beagle(?) (stray)
"Snoopy" Basset Hound (from Humane Society)
"Shasta" German Shepherd (stray)
"Onyx" Toy Poodle (stray)
"Whisper" Great Dane (deaf, from Humane Society)
"Kallie" Scottie (from breed rescue)
"Otis" Beagle (from Humane Society)
"Kizzie" Toy Poodle (from Humane Society)
"Teddy" Cockapoo (from Humane Society)
"Pumpkin" Yorkie (from Humane Society)

all of our dogs were wonderful (still have the last two) and each was a credit to their species in their own unique ways, wouldn't hesitate to own any of these breeds again.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
When I was growing up we had an afghan hound and a poodle. I would own a poodle again but I would not want to deal with an afghan's coat. Other than a high-maintenance coat, he was a great dog.

As an adult, I've had one cardigan welsh corgi and 4 German Shepherds (not all at once). When my first 2 GSDs died from old age, I got GSD puppies. When these 2 pass I will absolutely get 2 more GSDs (not sure if I'm up for any more puppies though). I'd get another corgi too. He was such an amazong little dog.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
My parents are both huge dog lovers and I inherited the gene. We mostly had poodle mixes and a cocker spaniel growing up. I'd own the mixes/breeds again if one fell into my lap but I probably wouldn't seek them out. We also had a Lhasa apso mix that we had to euthanize when she was only three years old. I would not own a young one again because of their risk of kidney disease.

The dogs I've had that have been solely mine or mine and my husband's (we're a Brady Bunch animal family. Lol):

German Shepherd/beagle mix - Rosie was the first dog I ever had on my own, and she was just absolutely perfect. I adopted her from the shelter when she was 9 years old. She lived with a family her whole life and then was dumped because of divorce. She was my heart and we had five years together. I lost her six years ago, and it is my dream to one day have another shepherd/beagle mix. I think enough time has passed so that my heart can handle it.

Beagles - I've had four of them (Beatrice, Ramona, Petey and Ralphie), all adopted from beagle rescue. Currently, I have Mona and Ralphie. Look at my username...I don't ever want to be without a beagle in my life. I've discovered I am a hound person through and through. Bea and Pete have gone to the Bridge, but will always be in my heart.

Sheltie mix - My husband brought Murry into the relationship. We think he's also part dachshund and perhaps cocker spaniel. He is the BEST little dog! He's almost 17 years old but still doing pretty well. He is so smart and sweet, and such a little pal. I would absolutely have another one like him.

Dutch Shepherd - Benno was a retired K9. He was not bred to be a pet and had a difficult time adjusting. I loved him very much and am glad we were able to give him a decent retirement, but it was a challenge. As much as I want another shepherd someday, Dutchies are just a little too much for me. They are beautiful dogs, though.

So, possible future dogs for us....beagles, without a doubt. We would also love a basset hound. My heart wants another shepherd or shepherd mix and my husband would like to have a Golden again, which I would love too.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Other than family pets, I have had three dogs, the most recent two being Boston Terriers. Our first Boston lived to 12 years old and we liked the breed and got another one.

They can be stubborn at times but overall are great dogs and I would get another one, no question.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Springer spaniels, Brittany, dachshund. All were great dogs. The spaniels need to be able to what they were meant to do, so as we slow down, our dogs are smaller and slower.

We have yet to replace our Brittanies and not sure if we do want another breed after them even though we are now sort of retired and have slowed down.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 PM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
1. Boxers - Great dog if you are high energy person. Nice watch dog yet great with kids. Loves it inside or outside.
2. Great Dane - Really good friend with mainly a bluff as watch dog. Would only get a dog this size if you are WILLING to spend A LOT of time training it and PLEASE walk it on a short leash. No way to control a great dane on retractable leashes. However, very sad as they get older due to hip dysplasia. Not sure I would want a dog this big again as very difficult to transport comfortably near end of life. Dog definitely suffers for being this big. (Can need to find mobile vet to deal with putting this down comfortably.)
3. Dalmatian - Need to exercise caution putting this kind of dog around kids. Very high strung and stresses badly for even having kids next door playing loudly. May bite for feeling stressed by kids. Kids need to be trained never to touch it eating and NEVER take away toys without offering exchange to dog as this will result in bites too. Fetch game can result in bites.
4. Pug - Lovely pet but seems to be normal for breed to have territory marking obsession. Would choose female dog over male to avoid this issue. Aware most of the rescues use a belly band/male diaper on pugs when put in groups inside. These don't hump, they pee all over. Better to keep inside and walk when less than 80 degrees outside. Lovely walking buddy.
5. Chihuahua - Great little dog you could treat like a cat - litter box trainable easier than housebreaking. Just keep pups in big crate with litter box for a couple weeks and dog will return to crate to relieve itself.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Had several dogs over the years on the ranch including:
Kuvoz cross that was a great herd watchdog, good with kids, not the sharpest tool in the shed but a real sweetheart.
Catahoula, never again.
Rough Collie, good dog with sheep, good with kids, didn't like leaving the ranch.
Blue Heelers, great working dogs, faithful to a fault, a little rough for town or being around people.
Australian Shepherd, good dog on the ranch, very smart.

Once I moved to town, I had 3 different Brittany Spaniels, one really good, one psycho, one older female that was a good dog, but I gave her to an older friend as a companion.

I tried some of the small breeds, 2 miniature schnauzers, one a super special dog that it really hurt when he died, tried to replace him with another schnauzer, the second one was aggressive, snappy, just plain mean and couldn't be taught anything.

I had 2 rescue Scottish Terriers, both super little dogs. The male had heart problems and I only had him for about 8 months before he passed away, which was expected as he was 13 when we took him.
The female was a real lovey dog, we had her for 9 years before she passed away at age 14.
One Highland Terrier, fun little dog, you really had to keep boundaries with him as he wanted to be alpha in the house. As long as you kept him in his place, he was great.

You may have guessed I am a real dog lover and like to have at least 2 or more around all the time. I can get along with most breeds, the only ones I've had that I would never have again were a German Shepherd, (psychotic stock killer), A Chesapeake Retriever, (powerful, not too bright and a walking disaster), I've had a couple Labradors, (not a fan), a Bassett, (too much slobber).

Now, I'm nearing retirement in about 7 years, so the wife and I went back to my roots with Scotch Collies. The breed nearly has gone extinct, but they are classic multi-purpose dogs that will hunt, herd, protect, they're great with families, excellent watchdogs and companions beyond compare. We will be breeding this versatile and highly intelligent breed with emphasis on intelligence, adaptability, loyalty, stock handling and hunting abilities.
I had one as a child, and now we have a male and a female, all have been as good as you can reasonably expect from a dog, and exceed in several areas.

The big male is a good hunter, works stock, and really takes care of my mother who has Parkinson's so she can't walk well.
He will walk right beside her so he can support her if she needs it, he will "brace" and help her stand up when she kneels down in the garden and can't get up, he protects her from the horses and cattle so they won't bump her, and when it's slick out, she can lean on him and he will basically carry her up to the house.

We gave my parent's a female kind of as a service dog, and while she's only 11 months old, she is nearly inseparable from my father, but on 2 occasions when my mother got stuck, that little dog went running to get my father to help.
They're protective without being aggressive, gentle as kittens with the family, I can't say enough good about them.
They're a very different dog from the Rough Collies or the Border Collies, they are ancestor to both, but they are very distinct from both those breeds.
They are fantastic dogs, strong, smart, they have a heavy coat and can take a lot of tough weather without any problem.
You do need to brush the undercoat out when they shed or you'll be buried in hair, and they need room since they're active dogs, but for ranches and families, you can't ask for a better companion.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Labradors forever! For me, at least. Had a chihuahua as a kid--he was fun but barked too much and pooped every night on the expensive wool carpeting.

As an adult, have had purebred yellow labs (one calm, second one a "Marley dog". Loved, loved, loved them.

Then a yellow lab/white sheperd mix--super watch/guard dog!

Now, Hobbs, a yellow lab mix adopted as an adult from the shelter (some of you here may remember my early stories of this guy because his first night with us he bit my husband in the face.) Hobbs has been the BEST pet but no watch dog--he NEVER barks except in his sleep. He gets along with the 3 indoor cats, is well behaved, and totally sweet. DNA testing showed: lab, boxer, sharpei, and several mixed breeds. Now, he's showing his age--sleeping a lot, wants shorter walks and now is on Rimadyl and just starting Adequan injections. Took him on a short vacation this summer where he could try swimming--he waded a bit but then just wanted to nap in the boat.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
Technically, I didn't own any of these but their lived with me or I knew the situation well enough to know temperament and causes.

Cocker Spaniel: Sweet dog, but too much maintenance. My grandmother and her sister owned one. Actually, my grandmother's was the son of her sister's dog. They weren't neglected and their ears stank. Her sister's dog got a ton of cancer and had to be put down at 11. Never again.

Beagle: Really neurotic annoying BAD dogs. My uncle's exwife owned one. He would bite the children for no reason. I witnessed him, and was bitten, just snap for no reason. He was very spoiled and wasn't from a shelter. He had no past that made him be bad. I also had a neighbor who had a beagle. He was also spoiled and died falling out the window trying to attack a person walking past the house. He often did this, but I guess the window finally broke. I don't know why anyone would want one. Unless you kept it as an outdoor only dog.

Shih Tzu: My ex had one. It was an ok dog. A bit too fat and ugly for me to want one, though. Also, while friendly enough they tend to pick one person and ignore the rest. Also, noisy and destructive. Wouldn't want one.

Yorkie: My mom had one for a time. Very spoiled. Mean and would bite. I might a few other Yorkies and they were also biters. Not very good at house training. Surprisingly destructive for the size. A very cat like dog imo.

Pekingese: Many of my neighbors had these. If from a good breeder great and beautiful dog. If not, crazy dog who will bite it's tail off. I would buy one in the future.

Pug: I've known many people with them. They can be mean and have health issues. Some are friendly. I wouldn't want one. Noisy and unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs