Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM

105 posts, read 171,442 times

Advertisements

I moved my German Shepherd from Philadelphia to Tennessee using a pet transporter because I was afraid to fly her. Have you looked into that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not counting all the times flying with the dogs: agricultural checkpoints going into California, both northern and southeastern borders. Immigration going into Canada. US Customs returning to the USA both at Canadian and Mexican borders.

Any time any place where your dog bites a human you had better be able to produce that proof of rabies vaccination or your dog goes into quarantine for 10 days and could legally be ordered put to sleep for a brain test.

Why risk it? If you don't ever need it, fine, but if you do ever need it and don't have it, you are royally screwed.

You'll also need vaccination certificates if the dog has to go into a boarding kennel.
Of course when you are flying, but the OP is not flying. The OP is not driving in to Mexico or Canada. The OP is not even driving in to CA. The OP is driving to NC. I have driven in and out of CA 4 times in the past 10 years, not once have I ever been asked for any paperwork for any of my pets.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not counting all the times flying with the dogs: agricultural checkpoints going into California, both northern and southeastern borders. Immigration going into Canada. US Customs returning to the USA both at Canadian and Mexican borders.

Any time any place where your dog bites a human you had better be able to produce that proof of rabies vaccination or your dog goes into quarantine for 10 days and could legally be ordered put to sleep for a brain test.

Why risk it? If you don't ever need it, fine, but if you do ever need it and don't have it, you are royally screwed.

You'll also need vaccination certificates if the dog has to go into a boarding kennel.
Really????

I understand when flying or when entering Mexico or Canada you will need papers. That's logical. In fact, when flying or entering another country you will actually need a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, AKA Health inspection issued by a licensed vet (which I believe are only good for thirty days). Also understand about kennels or even doggy day care facilities. The OP was talking about traveling across the USA and even if pulled into one of the custom inspection sites near the southern border on I-10, I was NEVER asked about dog papers.

And yes, I understand that if one of my dogs bite someone I need to produce proof of a rabies shot. But you know, this is a pretty modern world we live in. I would say within twenty minutes, my vet in ID would be happy to fax a copy of the rabies certificate to any police or animal control location in the USA.

However, even if I am in my 60s, I'm pretty good with modern technology. Thanks to the smart phone invention, I carry a complete set of vet records for both of my dogs on my Droid Turbo under a folder called DOGS. I also carry the same folder on my Tablet in my luggage. So within a few seconds, I can send that same document to any email address, or even print it off from my smart phone if there is a wireless printer nearby. So if one of my dogs bite someone the paperwork is basically available immediately.

So, I am technically not traveling without papers, I am just saying that I have traveled extensviely in the USA in the past x-number of years with a dog or dogs and have NEVER been asked for any type of papers for the dogs. I have also taken my dogs into dog parks in many cities, walked many city parks, hiked on tons of trails on Forest and BLM lands, etc.

From the reasoning of a lot of comments here, I guess if I decide to drive an hour to Idaho Falls and walk the Greenbelt walkway on a Sunday AM with the dogs, I better bring my dogs papers with me, since a Idaho Falls, county or state LE officer might want to look at my dogs papers. Even thought I technically do that, I don't feel I need too!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I was on my way to a Dog Show 90 miles from home. Me my trainer our dogs. Cop stops us Wanted Proof dogs were ours! & Proof of Rabies. Good thing my Trainer told me to bring paperwork! Everything was fine But IF no paper work BTW the dogs were Tattooed .. We would have had problems! Van was the same as another van in the area seen near homes where dogs were stolen! Down to the Out of state Tags!
How do you show proof that you own a dog? My dog always wore a rabies tag on her collar, but I guess the only proof that it was my dog was a copy of the adoption application from when I first got her from a shelter. If you find a dog or someone gives you a dog, there is no proof. The vet doesn't ask for proof either. If you license a dog with a township or county, they don't ask for proof either (in my experience).

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
ALL were AKC & UKC REG! ALL had their AKC & UKC # Tattooed on them ALL the Papers were in Our Names! We also carried Health Records on each dog! That's How they knew we Owned the Dogs!

Now a days You get the dog MICRO Chipped Make sure you go online & Update the Information. They would scan the dogs for Proof of ownership.

Tags are Useless! They can be lost or taken off. They can be switch...which happened to one of the dogs I rehomed! Maryland Pound found a dog with her collar & tag on called me! I dug out the papers on the dog to go rescue her... I was surprised to discover my AKC Show Collie turned into a MUTT at 15# I had the people that got the collie Lucky they did own the little mutt but got the tags mixed up. They were lucky I had the papers for the collie & got the people to call them. Otherwise they may have Never found the dog. When People Steal Dogs the toss the Tags & collars!

Last edited by Katie1; 01-24-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs