Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is interesting.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...motional-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Stupid Article I left my comment on the site!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Stupid Article I left my comment on the site!
It was a fairly good article. As to the stripes - good advice as shown in the examples.

It is known that dogs, for whatever reason, do not like uniforms. They make the person look all one color to the dog. Something about that arouses the dog's suspicion. One day I went into the office where a co-worker had her dog. This dog usually fairly friendly stood there and growled at me. I happened to be wearing that day a black shirt and black pants, which in effect was a "uniform".

Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Given I'm always head to toe one color bc I wear scrubs for work, the pooches better learn to deal.

That being said, never garnered any attention from my dogs or any others.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM

149 posts, read 166,426 times
Unless the people wearing the test patterns were unable to know which pattern they were wearing they could've been sending other nonverbal cues to the dogs to cause them alarm. To do this they would've had to have on an Elizabethan collar or have blinders of some sort. I don't put any stock in this study.

However, I do know that some animals do respond to pattern/ color. My bearded dragon doesn't like it when people wear black -they turn their chins black when they are threatened to scare off a competing lizard and he doesn't like bright orange because I suppose he thinks that the wearer is a really big lizard. That is of course anecdotal and I do not claim to have officially conducted a study!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
People say that dogs don't like people in uniform, but I don't know of anyone authoritative saying that. The people they are referring to are the letter carrier, UPS man, fedex person- people who come through their territory every day (in the case of the mailman at least) and don't behave like friends of the family, but leave again immediately, maybe making a noise on the wall if a mailbox is mounted there. If they knock, usually the dogs' owner doesn't let them in as they would a friend. So it's no wonder that dogs can react badly to these people. Their uniforms aren't always all one color.

As far as the striped clothing goes, I think that's minor enough that a dog who's well socialized shouldn't react much. So a new dog owner or someone who wants an easygoing dog wouldn't want a dog who was reactive to that anyway.
Things that changes a person's appearance more dramatically, that many dogs react to, (again, unless they are well socialized and reasonably stable) are beards, dark glasses, and hats. Weelchairs, walkers and canes are scary to a lot of dogs. And race! Dogs that aren't used to seeing people of certain races can react because the person doesn't "look right" to them. That one can be kind of embarrassing to a new owner- "I didn't teach her that!" But they can learn to be accustomed to all these things.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times
While I don't know if I believe stripes could cause that much of difference, I do know that for some dogs clothing choices do matter.
Hats seems to throw off some dogs, as do wide sunglasses and over sized clothes.

Just the other day we were at the dog park, and there was a lady there in; a hat, glasses, hoodie and rain boots and was power walking. No dog, including my own, was comfortable around her. I heard growling, dogs slunk away. And she was all offended...smh. I'm sure she looked like a big monster walking quickly toward them, I'd be afraid too if I was a dog.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I disagree with the article. My dogs bark at the delivery people or any stranger because they KNOCK on our door. We tell our friends who are expected never to knock on our door and just come in.

Then, whenever I meet a strange dog, I never stare into their eyes, because that is challenging them. Instead I treat them as if they are invisible and let them sniff me without any reaction from me. Once I have passed their inspection, I will gently make contact with them.

Delivery people tend to look directly at my dogs, and that does provoke them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs