Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 09:43 AM

806 posts, read 949,978 times

Advertisements

Looked in to GR rescue.... asked 50 questions and admitted they can't place a dog with behavioral problems. I think destroying half our house qualifies as one.

To everyone who claims he's bored cause he's all alone: Wrong. We have another high energy/hyper female dog and they play together all day long. But even she has limits and has gotten snippy when he won't leave her alone. He of course thinks she is playing and continues. Only way to get him off her is to throw my shoes at him. We also got her from the pound and has never been a problem. She is a great dog unlike the Devil Dog.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,768,215 times
Locate a GR club to see if anyone can take him. Be honest about his behavior and your inability/refusal to work with him.

I wonder how you represented the dog to the rescue group. Either that's a lousy group who doesn't know normal GR behavior who is allowed to go wild, or you just plain put him in a light that makes the dog look like a problem dog.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM

10,044 posts, read 6,309,362 times
Look, since you're apparently unwilling to undertake any of the really helpful suggestions here regarding how to properly train the dog, return it to the pound. Do NOT abandon the dog in the mountains - that's animal cruelty and you KNOW it! You've already had one offer to refund your adoption fee, which seems to be your primary concern, btw, rather than the possibility that the dog might actually be adopted by someone who knows how to handle and train it. Well, here's ANOTHER offer for your refund. PM me and show proper evidence that you returned the dog to the pound and I will send you your durned money!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,971,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Looked in to GR rescue.... asked 50 questions and admitted they can't place a dog with behavioral problems. I think destroying half our house qualifies as one.

To everyone who claims he's bored cause he's all alone: Wrong. We have another high energy/hyper female dog and they play together all day long. But even she has limits and has gotten snippy when he won't leave her alone. He of course thinks she is playing and continues. Only way to get him off her is to throw my shoes at him. We also got her from the pound and has never been a problem. She is a great dog unlike the Devil Dog.
What exactly are you telling the rescue that makes them think he has behavioral issues? From what you have said, this dog is a rambunctious untrained 2 year old = in other words, this dog has training and management issues; he does not behavioral issues.

Physical exercise with your other dog is not a substitute for quality time with their human, training, and mental exercise.

Please step up and do the right thing by this dog and return it to the shelter and/or call the rescue again and explain that he is just a young untrained dog who has too much energy for you.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

11,184 posts, read 19,343,127 times
Quote:

This dog doesn't have "behavioral issues". This dog has the misfortune to be stuck with a human who can't be bothered to train him.

What you describe is a NORMAL golden retriever who has not been trained properly and you surely must be lying about GR rescue not wanting him, because any decent GR rescue would want him out of your home and in their care immediately, to prevent you from doing any more damage.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,772,578 times
Take your fake dog on your fake 4 hour runs in the mountains that you've been fake doing every single day for the past fake 5 years.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 AM

806 posts, read 949,978 times
No behavioral issues? He destroys everything he can get his mouth on: mattress, sofa, shoes, clothes, packages, etc. He won't stop harassing our other dogs or cats. He has injured me several times by purposefully running in to the back of my leg while I'm walking. Also severely injured and bloodied my foot when I tried to stop a fight between him and another dog which he started.

We got our female dog when she was 9 months old and she has NEVER done any of the things this Devil Dog does. Actually, none of our 20 dogs have ever done what this Devil Dog has done. Plus 2 years is NOT a puppy!

I'd be horrified if he were to be adopted in to another unsuspecting family!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 AM

14,304 posts, read 11,780,231 times
Please. His destruction is not an issue with someone who will train and supervise him.

Find him another home. He's not a dangerous dog, he's just a dog desperate for someone's attention.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 AM

11,184 posts, read 19,343,127 times
Quote:
No behavioral issues? He destroys everything he can get his mouth on: mattress, sofa, shoes, clothes, packages, etc. He won't stop harassing our other dogs or cats. He has injured me several times by purposefully running in to the back of my leg while I'm walking. Also severely injured and bloodied my foot when I tried to stop a fight between him and another dog which he started.

We got our female dog when she was 9 months old and she has NEVER done any of the things this Devil Dog does. Actually, none of our 20 dogs have ever done what this Devil Dog has done. Plus 2 years is NOT a puppy!

I'd be horrified if he were to be adopted in to another unsuspecting family!
All normal behaviors in a dog who has never been properly trained. Stop making comparisons with your (probably fictional) "20 perfect dogs" and simply admit you are too lazy to bother training a dog.

Any knowledgeable experienced understanding dog owner would be able to work with this dog and train him how to live in a family.

This dog has been shipped back and forth between pound and horrible homes for two years. And is now isolated outside. What on earth do you expect?

Your death wish for this dog is pure spite. Your unwillingness to put in the effort says even more about you.

As you have been advised, take him to a GR rescue, and without lying about how "horrible" he is. Be prepared to part with a donation to the rescue also. Let the rescue be the judge, you obviously cannot be.

And don't, ever, take on any more animals.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,370,022 times
Quote:
Our older dog got cancer and had to be put down. So we decided to adopt another dog from the city pound. I wanted a German Shepard puppy but my family instead chose a 2 year old Golden Retriever. Anyways, he has been a complete nightmare. So far he has destroyed a mattress (shredded it to pieces); chewed up a leather sofa; takes all the shoes and hides them all over the yard; takes expensive laundry off the line and chews them to pieces; takes all the blankets out of his and other dogs kennels and tosses them all over the yard shredded to pieces; jumps on and harasses all our other dogs all day long; chases after our cats; breaks in to the dog food container whenever he's hungry; etc. I call him the Devil Dog because I would imagine that's how a dog possessed by the Devil would act to make our lives miserable.

Unfortunately, the pound does not accept returns so we are stuck with him. I feel like they sold us a defective dog as they later admitted that he's been returned several times already. Plus I have no doubt if we were to return him (no refund of course), those unethical bastards wouldn't hesitate to sell him to another unsuspecting family.

I don't know what to do... any advice??????
Not sure if this is a real post or the result of a troll attempting to ruffle feathers, but if it is legitimate, then this is a good example of why so many dogs are turned in - or returned - to shelters. Many times people will go to a shelter expecting (a) a perfectly behaved, perfectly trained dog, (b) no work to do, or even time/energy to expend with the dog once it is taken home, and (c) an instant refund once the dog doesn't "fit" with their lifestyle.

Instead of blaming the shelter and/or the dog, a responsible pet owner will first ask questions about the animal before adoption takes place. Was this dog adopted out before, and if so, why was it returned? What is the dog's temperament overall? (And expect that a dog's temperament can - and will - change somewhat once adopted...a dog in a stressful environment such as a shelter can suppress the dog's true nature temporarily.) Is there any background information available on the dog's previous history, before being brought to the shelter?

Before adopting a specific breed, the potential owner should their homework and learn everything there is to know about the general qualities of the breed - size, energy levels, quirks often associated with the breed, etc., keeping in mind that these things are general (not every dog of said breed will exhibit the breed traits) but use it as a guideline when thinking about what type of dog one wishes to have.

Don't expect to adopt a dog, take it home, and then give him or her free rein of the house. A new dog - adopted from a shelter or coming from any other source - needs not only time to acclimate, but also needs constant supervision, indoors and out. The dog will need general training, exercise, and attention, will need to be taught quiet time, and should be given its own space when not supervised. Unless the owner can be with the dog 24/7, crate training should be an essential part of the program, both for the dog's safety as well as the safety of the home environment.

Many people tend to forget - or not realize - that a dog coming from a shelter generally tends to be stressed and confused. The longer a dog remains at a shelter, the greater a chance of this, esp. if the dog has developed some behavioural issues and has been adopted out and returned several times. Looking at it from the animal's point of view, the dog has no idea why they are there, the family they knew has gone, they may have been wandering the streets and encountered who knows what type of abuse or hunger, and now they are in a cage, in an environment with multiple other stressed, barking, anxious dogs. Issues will arise, but these issues tend to be an easy 'fix' once the dog is adopted by a responsible person or family who is willing to work with the animal and put them at ease, and teach them to let go of any fears and anxieties that may have developed. Not every dog at a shelter will develop problems, but of those who do, the reward for the owner comes in working with the dog, and in seeing them let go of their fears and relax. And of these dogs (imo) they make some of the most wonderful, loyal, loving companions of all, for they do recognize that they have been given a second chance, and that they are loved. Unfortunately, all too often an animal is adopted by someone with vision in their head of having the perfect pet, or even more commonly, just a vision of having an animal in the home, and once they are there and the novelty wears off, any issue that arises (often the fault of the owner, not the animal) leads to the label of 'defective', or 'vicious' or 'untrainable'. The dog is then returned or abandoned, and the dog's anxiety levels become even worse.

I also find it very sad when people say 'I'd never adopt a shelter dog, because they tend to have issues'; writing off so many wonderful companions because it's not worth the time and energy to take in a dog and work with them. Yet any pet, from any source, can come with challenges, be it behavioural or physical; there are no guarantees that any animal will be perfect ("perfect" usually translating to many as "no work involved").

Of these people, as well as those who simply adopt without thinking ahead, I strongly suggest they get something less challenging to bring into their lives, such as a stuffed dog or cat. No work involved, and nothing to return or get a refund on because of hidden 'issues'. And please leave the sentient animals to those who will welcome them into their lives with open arms, warm hearts, and a willingness to do whatever it takes if any sort of issue or challenge arises. For the owners who do whatever it takes, they will be rewarded a million-fold with wagging tails, huge grins, and secure, happy, well-loved companions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs