Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I would not try it with brachycephalic breeds as they get over heated too easily and I would not try it with large breeds or over weight dogs as it would be hard on their joints but the average medium sized dog that is of normal weight and not an old dog could do it when conditioned on days that are not hot days.
It also depends on how old the dog is. I've heard in numerous places you're not supposed to run with puppies regularly on any kind of pavement until they reach at least 18 months of age so their bones and joints can be fully developed first. Also, I would never recommend running a dog that many miles on concrete more than once in a great while so it depends on what the running conditions are. Even 6+ miles several times a week on asphalt would be tough on a dog but better than concrete. If the dog was able to run on grass or soft ground for part of the run it would be much healthier for the dog.

Many dog breeds can certainly run 6 miles a day at human speed with no problem; for many breeds that's not even considered to be much of a workout. However, it's a different story when that 6 miles is on pavement; even for herding and hunting breeds built for running that would be tough on the joints. The only way I would ever run that much with a dog is if it was un-paved trail running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 12:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfas View Post
Hi everyone, OP here. Thank you all for your help, but feeling overwhelmed by everyone's differing opinions.

Let's remove the "needs to be able to run long distances on concrete" from the equation. Doesn't look like I can find all the traits I'm looking for in one breed, so let's stick with a not super stressed out/anxious dog in the city. Important that they are still super active though and will happily go on long hikes, some backpacking treks, swim etc. Would Jack Russells work then? What about Spaniels, Goldens, or Tollers? Or a small female GSD?

So definitely no Aussies/BCs in the city? Even with agility and runs etc?

Dog will be alone about 4hrs/day
My vote would be with a dog from the spaniel, setter or retriever breeds of the sporting group. Something like a Lab or Golden or many of the Spaniels or Setters should work well. Sporting dogs in general tend to be good around people and other dogs and are more known for being adaptable and able to go with the flow than most other dog breeds. Generally, they also don't tend to bark as much as many smaller breeds. Within the sporting group, stay away from the pointer breeds, the Vizsla and the Weimaraner. These dogs need miles of off-leash dog speed running every single day to make good indoor companions and in addition the Vizsla and Weimaraner are known for being high-strung breeds that are more prone to being stressed and anxious, especially in city environments.

Don't know where you heard that Labs weren't a healthy breed - if you get a well bred one from a good breeder who does health clearances on the parents you should not have any more issues with a Lab than any other breed. Goldens actually tend to suffer from just as many or more health issues than Labs and other sporting dogs.

Not sure why you keep mentioning Tollers. Do you know someone who breeds them? Otherwise, they aren't very common and I would think it would be difficult to even find an available puppy and would be very expensive if you did find one. Also, I found this on a google search for Tollers -

"One hitch to living with a Toller in the city is the breed's loud, high-pitched scream, which can make him unacceptable in apartments and neighborhoods with noise restrictions. The Toller yelps out when he's stimulated, excited, or frustrated. Often, the sight of birds or squirrels elicits the scream".
This is from http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/nova-s...llingretriever

Doesn't seem like a Toller would be the best choice for city living.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, OP here. Thank you all for your help, but feeling overwhelmed by everyone's differing opinions.

Let's remove the "needs to be able to run long distances on concrete" from the equation. Doesn't look like I can find all the traits I'm looking for in one breed, so let's stick with a not super stressed out/anxious dog in the city. Important that they are still super active though and will happily go on long hikes, some backpacking treks, swim etc. Would Jack Russells work then? What about Spaniels, Goldens, or Tollers? Or a small female GSD?

Remove the GSD. You may have a problem in rental properties. IMO they are the smartest dog, just waiting to get a hold of your checkbook or car keys. They'll outsmart most people and a bored smart dog will make up things to do that aren't a good idea. Like "guard you".

I don't think they're a starter dog.

I've known plenty of working Jack Russells but they need a JOB. A smaller dog with short, stubby legs isn’t going to be as suited to hiking as others. They're the type who will fearlessly herd giant nasty ostriches and laugh at them. For ME, that's different than a "hike" because on a HIKE they might have an agenda that won't match yours LOL.

So as long as that's ok with you, you realize that they'll need training and you'll have to allow for their size then great.

They're a little small, too, for the swimming, in lakes and stuff where he'd perhaps be hard to see IMO. I had a Corgi the owner let swim with a stick in his mouth (NEVER DO THAT) and he drowned - but luckily she was a medical doctor and CPR'd him back to life.

So just be careful.

In other words you are taking your DOG out for enrichment, they're not just accompanying YOU on your adventures.

I never really met a Golden I'd call any kind of athletic but it's probably more the owners than the dogs A better choice is a Lab, I'd say.

Remember the grooming, too. The spaniels etc get burrs and stuff in their coats and paws so you'll need to amp up the inspections and grooming after hiking.

I'd try some out - go volunteer at a shelter or rescue or something and see if you really WANT the package that includes the grooming etc.

Or go to some events like agility and meet the owners and their pets.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-16-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 03:22 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
I have a papillon. She is one of the smartest, clever and most affectionate little dogs I have ever had! When we got her, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. She will be two in April and is as cute as can be.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have a papillon. She is one of the smartest, clever and most affectionate little dogs I have ever had! When we got her, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. She will be two in April and is as cute as can be.
She also has lots of fun energy and would be awesome for agility.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:40 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
what about a cairn terrier or a west highland white terrier ? they are some of the smartest dogs I have ever seen and I owned one a cairn I mean . the dog toto was a cairn cause the other dog could not be trained and was stubborn .

Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I would second a well bred English springer spaniel, lovely dogs.
Or a Brittany Spaniel. Brittany Spaniels: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about a cairn terrier or a west highland white terrier ? they are some of the smartest dogs I have ever seen and I owned one a cairn I mean . the dog toto was a cairn cause the other dog could not be trained and was stubborn .

OMG I loved my Cairn clients.

This one was VERY annoyed one day when one of the cobblestones surrounding the tree on the curb was out of place.

Hilarious. He stopped abruptly...stared up at me and looked at the cobblestone and backed up looking at me and the cobblestone as if to say WHAT is going on here????

His owner was the same way, EVERYTHING in it's place. Neatnik.

I loved walking him, he was very sight oriented and loved everything he saw.

LOVED wind. And flags.

I don't know if they're "tough" enough for the OP but alot of fun.

Ditto a Rat Terrier, maybe my favorite terrier of all.

Post nail surgery haze:

Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
She also has lots of fun energy and would be awesome for agility.
But a Papillon may not be good for 6 mile runs??

Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:

It depends on the particular Aussie in my experience. You would need to spend some time researching breeders, clearly stating your objectives. I haven't been great at identifying puppies that will be quiet as adults.

Aussies, and BC's, are herding dogs. Do you have access to herding classes where you are? You may want to find that out before choosing a herding breed.

Aussies need mental exercise, not just physical. Long runs don't provide much mental exercise. Agility, several times a week, might or might not be enough. When you think you have chosen one or more breeds to research, join the online groups for those breeds and ask more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs