Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

this big boxer guy and lil yorkie female have grown up together and now the rescue says that the yorkie girl has been adopted by the foster family , only the foster does not want the big boxer guy , it makes me so angry but really they were together all that time and now the rescue decides they can split them up . I'm so angry and mad at this and If I had the 150 .00 adoption fee I would get him in a heartbeat . He seems to be a pretty awesome guy and he is used to lil ones and I have lil ones (Chihuahuas ) and my lil ones are used to big guys too and they do pretty well with them . My heart breaks over this and I just wish I had the money right now this very minute I would put an application in and see what they said .I'm wondering if I should go ahead and put an application in and see what they say ? I try so hard to do what is right and yet you have people like these fosters out there . what say the rest of you ? go ahead and apply for him ? or wait until I have the money which may never come ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We will send you the money to get him and I am very serious send me a DM and I can get the funds in the mail today or I could call and give them my card number over the phone.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Since no one else has said it so far ... I will. My hat is off to you and I would either kiss or shake your hand (gender specific of course). Both of mine (GH and Fox T) are rescues and I am all for good deeds to and for animals. I'll say it for the lady ... THANK YOU!

El Nox

Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this big boxer guy and lil yorkie female have grown up together and now the rescue says that the yorkie girl has been adopted by the foster family , only the foster does not want the big boxer guy , it makes me so angry but really they were together all that time and now the rescue decides they can split them up . I'm so angry and mad at this and If I had the 150 .00 adoption fee I would get him in a heartbeat . He seems to be a pretty awesome guy and he is used to lil ones and I have lil ones (Chihuahuas ) and my lil ones are used to big guys too and they do pretty well with them . My heart breaks over this and I just wish I had the money right now this very minute I would put an application in and see what they said .I'm wondering if I should go ahead and put an application in and see what they say ? I try so hard to do what is right and yet you have people like these fosters out there . what say the rest of you ? go ahead and apply for him ? or wait until I have the money which may never come ?
It sounds like you have never fostered or volunteered at a rescue before. The idea that you want to put in an application out of curiosity instead of being a serious applicant shows that you have no clue how rescues work. First and foremost, rescues are mostly run by unpaid volunteers who have families and jobs. When they receive your application, they have to spend the little spare time that they have to call your references, check if there is compatibility, and if not, find a different dog that might match your lifestyle. This takes time.

Once they approved your application, they wait for you to pick the dog up usually the same or following day. Most rescues will wait a few days, even a week, to see if you turn up or you change your mind. During this period, that boxer could've been adopted by someone else who was serious about the adoption and can afford the fee. But because your application is first, whoever showed interest in that boxer moves on to the next dog.

Moreover, how did you expect to care for a boxer if you don't even have $150 for the adoption fee? Are you aware of how breeds like boxers have certain genetic problems, such as the short snout can cause overheating quickly and breathing problems. A big dog is much, much more expensive in comparison to a small dog for treating similar diseases like cancer. What then? Can you afford surgeries for a large dog if it needs it? It costs about $3k or more for an all-too-common ACL surgery.

You should not speak ill of fosters. You have no idea how much work, money, and time is involved in fostering a pet. Most of the food and expenses are paid out of pocket by the foster parents, just to take care of a dog that no one else, especially those who never fostered, wants to help because of said expenses. I fostered 1 litter of kittens and in less than 3 months, they cost me over $400 in food, litter, over the counter meds, etc. That's not including the cost of repair for damages a foster pet can cause, like chewing, peeing on the floors, etc. The wonderful, socialized pet that is listed for adoption is the product of all the hard work from its foster parents.

It is common for siblings or bonded pairs to be adopted seperatedly. It sucks, rescues try to encourage people to adopt then together, but life happens. Trying to rehome a bonded pair is very difficult. That boxer isn't doomed just because his buddy got a new home. It just means whoever adopts him gets to give him all the attention, minus a yorkie.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I try so hard to do what is right and yet you have people like these fosters out there . what say the rest of you ? go ahead and apply for him ? or wait until I have the money which may never come ?
I don't see the issue here. It would be great if both dogs got into the same home, but they will each be fine on their own in separate homes. Yes, they will grieve the loss of their buddy, but they will adjust. It makes me nuts when rescues/shelters advertise a "bonded pair" because it limits each dog's ability to find a home with someone who might want just the one dog.

Not all dogs fit into all households. The foster parent here clearly feels they can offer the yorkie a home but that the boxer wouldn't be a good fit- nothing wrong with that. The boxer will go on to find a good home of his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs